New Walmart Fat Tire Bike coming in a couple weeks

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not one store near me has one though... What to do?

Buy it through their website and either choose free ship to store or free ship to home. The ship to store tends to be safer from rough handling and damage but you will have to pick it up from the local store you choose it to be sent to. Ship to home is really risky for damage because of the way shippers treat items like this. However, either way if it is damaged you can just return it to your store for a refund.

Not one store near me has one though... What to do?
keep eyes on wally world's national web site and check clearance items or price reductions, and then ship it to your local store.. when they clear stuff out, it can get really cheap!.

last fall at web site clearance I bought 15 pairs of the only shoes I can wear, literally, for 4 and 5 bucks a pop, delivered!.

OK, typically I don't buy anything from Walmart - haven't darkened their door since they opened in my town circa 1994. But, I couldn't help myself on this one. At $191.99, there was seemingly no reason not to get a Fat Bike. At the very least, it will be great for camping (I'm alwasy nervous when I bring any of my other bikes - particulary my mountain bike which has been the logical choice.

So, I'm already thinking about upgrading some stuff. Apparently, the Dolomite's a tank that can be lightened significantly with different tires and tubes. And, hills can be made a little easier to climb with a mega-range rear 7-speed cluster. Other than the BOA-G tires, has anyone done any performance upgrades to the bike? I'm thinking aluminum stem and bar, odysset platform pedals, lighter seatpost, WTB mountain bike saddle like the Speed V, and the aforementioned mega-range cluster.

My Dolomite's not scheduled to arrive at the local Walmart until Friday, and I'd love to order up some parts ahead of time. Does anyone know the handlebar diameter at the stem or the seatpost size? Also, has anyone done a crankset upgrade? If so, what are the bottom bracket specs? Thanks!!

OK, typically I don't buy anything from Walmart - haven't darkened their door since they opened in my town circa 1994. But, I couldn't help myself on this one. At $191.99, there was seemingly no reason not to get a Fat Bike. At the very least, it will be great for camping (I'm alwasy nervous when I bring any of my other bikes - particulary my mountain bike which has been the logical choice.

So, I'm already thinking about upgrading some stuff. Apparently, the Dolomite's a tank that can be lightened significantly with different tires and tubes. And, hills can be made a little easier to climb with a mega-range rear 7-speed cluster. Other than the BOA-G tires, has anyone done any performance upgrades to the bike? I'm thinking aluminum stem and bar, odysset platform pedals, lighter seatpost, WTB mountain bike saddle like the Speed V, and the aforementioned mega-range cluster.

My Dolomite's not scheduled to arrive at the local Walmart until Friday, and I'd love to order up some parts ahead of time. Does anyone know the handlebar diameter at the stem or the seatpost size? Also, has anyone done a crankset upgrade? If so, what are the bottom bracket specs? Thanks!!
Changing the Stem won't save you much weight....I would only change if you wanted a short stem to adjust riding position. The stock stem takes 31.8mm bars....Putting on some wide graphite bars would help w/ handling and weight...I'm using the stock seat post so I don't know the size off the top of my head....Your biggest weight savings is going to be tires and tubes...as for the cranks my LBS pointed out that I would need to keep the BB and just buy some BMX square taper crank arms and chain ring when I asked about changing front ring to a smaller ring...I wasn't doing it for weight savings....

Do you have a Build thread on this or in progress photos?
I made this penny farthing looking bike last year with a Next Mako 20" mtn bike. I'm thinking of making something similar with the wally 20" fat bike. Just put the 26" fat fork and tire on the 20" bike and lengthen the seat post and stem. Would be a super fun bike. I get a lot of comments on the Mako

PennyFarth.jpg

Latest posts

Back