"New" Typhoon Project: The Changeling

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this at a local bike shop for a super-great deal.

Not sure the year, I must look up the serial number. The original paint is rough with primer showing in some spots, bare metal in others.

it came with a couple bonus items already installed....

Bendix Auto 2 speed hub (red band)
Brooks B66 saddle

Typhoon.jpg

I still need to come up with a goal for this project...stay tuned

Re: "New" Typhoon Project

Looks in good shape,The 2 speeds rock,I have 3.I'd lose the fenders,install a set of red balloons and flip the h/bars.Gives it a tough look,not too good on the back.

Pat

what he said, but also lose the geekly rack. :wink: those bikes are generally worth more with original paint and a bunch of mods, so if you ever plan on selling it, keep it simple to take back to stock and sell it as an all og typhoon.(oh and save all the bits you took off, even hardware is essential)

I flipped the bars - I think it looks kinda cool and it's more comfy this way.

removed the rear fender and rack - by request. :)

moved the front fender to the rear.

sorry about the poor pic quality...camera phone doesn't work too well in my dark basement.

0614101901b.jpg

Paint for the wheels and frame?? I can't decide!

White wheels and black frame look great. If it came with those white wheels, I'd say that's a 1964, just a wild guess. I'm jealous. The 2 speed is a blast to ride.

I pulled my 80 Typhoon down off the hook yesterday to go for a ride, I've been missing riding the yellow band 2 speed, but the heat index was 101.

2re5ld0.jpg

dude id leave it, seriously. its done! enjoy! :mrgreen:

Wildcat said:
White wheels and black frame look great. If it came with those white wheels, I'd say that's a 1964, just a wild guess. I'm jealous. The 2 speed is a blast to ride.

I pulled my 80 Typhoon down off the hook yesterday to go for a ride, I've been missing riding the yellow band 2 speed, but the heat index was 101.

2re5ld0.jpg

Good lookin'!

yeah, the 2 spd. is sweet and, so far, works great... I would love to put a Bendix on my Roadster = no cable or lever to clutter up the frame or bars!!

As far as I know, it was fully stock (rack was added by the previous owner, I guess) the way I bought it. So the white wheels should be original but the Kenda white wall tires look barely used against the frame.

Does anyone know another place to look for the serial # ?? It's not in the obvious location...

left dropout or lower left on the headtube. :wink:

stretch said:
left dropout or lower left on the headtube. :wink:

Thanks! Found it on the dropout.

built in May of 1963

recommissioned June 2010
0615101746a.jpg

you know, i never liked whitewalls on white rims, as the two whites never match or stay matching, but this is growing on me. 8)

stretch said:
you know, i never liked whitewalls on white rims, as the two whites never match or stay matching, but this is growing on me. 8)

Well, I may have "nipped that in the bud"....

Man :!:
you realy have a nice looking typhoon there, custom work is alway's nice to do but i also do agread to keep all the original good's that came on the bike so you could get it back in the original condition in case you decide to sell it at some point. i have all the part's that came in my typhoon including the white wheel's and the S type saddle ,chaingard and even the typhoon cord tires the black fenders that has it original rear reflector oh and the original fork ! , at this time i am not looking what so ever to have it back to it's original condition because i like it how it is at this point there will be a couple of other item's that i will add to it like a custom red band bendix with a skip tooth and sprocket and i will call it done :mrgreen:

so i will say enjoy customizing you're phoon as i call mine and enjoy :wink:here is a pick of mine.

gomasrojas1.jpg

ADRNLN said:
stretch said:

Well, I may have "nipped that in the bud"....

... cuz I did this:
DSC03473.JPG

DSC03471.JPG

cliche, but nice! :D i like that too!

stretch said:
cliche, but nice! :D i like that too!

I guess it's a little cliche now, but this is my first rat rod bike so it's ok :wink:

my next one is on the drawing board. Until then, I've been playing with the bars on the '63...
DSC03480.JPG

DSC03482.JPG

UPDATE:

DSC03745.JPG

Never satisfied, I moved around some parts. My Roadster is getting a new look so I grabbed the crank, chain ring, light, wheels and tires and stuck it on the Typhoon. I like this Schwinn with fatter tires. :lol:

Re: "New" Typhoon Project....getting older.

249461_10150213979631881_706991880_7484752_3994473_n.jpg

It's going to stay like this for a while now...I think....maybe.
20110718114343.jpg

I still want to add a light but I need to find just the right one that looks good with the springer. Also the neck isn't right, either. Anyone have an idea?

Its like the bike keeps morphing Looks completely different in each picture. :D

Very cool! Looks like the frame is in very good condition! I'm picking up my typhoon Saturday. Pretty excited to start another build.

Latest posts

Back