New project: Gossamer the Bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am enjoying your quest for the perfect bike off this frame. I am having a struggle with my own setup for "She who must be obeyed." !!! Be Well, SS.

I always figure it like this: if I hate this bike, the parts themselves are worth more than they are all together. I can recycle stuff. But I have a feeling if I can get a bb to work and a fork I like, this bike should be a blast to ride.

Last edited:
Well, the fork won’t work. This is a SUPREME bummer.

I have a few options with the fork: hang onto it until something else comes along, return it or trade with someone. I have a 26” wheeled bike I could use it on IF I could rig up the head tube to accept a 1 1/8 headset. If anyone knows how I could make this work, I’d be indebted to you. Or I could find another donor bike to use it on.

I bought a cheap 1 1/8” steered 135mm OLD suspension fork. :( That was the fatal flaw: my searching netted me a fork that fits 4” tyres. I searched for fat fork. D’oh! $70 shipped isn’t a killer, but this is not a great use of my cash.

The saddest thing?!? If the legs weren’t welded to the tree, I could turn the legs around and it would work!

Scuff-sanded with a red Scotchbrite pad for bed liner sauce. I scuffed out a paint imperfection in the head tube. This had more orange peel than a fruit market:

D077776E-A0AC-477A-A9C7-1FBAEBD03732.jpeg
74822E36-A883-466D-A41D-0017D037A745.jpeg

Let’s rename this the bike from heck.

First we have the fork debacle, and now the headset! This is not your standard 45/45 Campy; it is a straight semi integrated IS42, essentially a motorised bicycle headset! Makes sense with all the wonky specs! BikeBerry had one. Snapped it up! Now I have an Eastern Bikes 45/45 Campy for spares...

Vee-ish tyres came in with my order. They were another brand, but are a dead ringer for the Vee Tyre Company tyres SE (and nearly everyone else) uses. Nice tread for all usage.

Decided against painting the rims red. Something tells me they will look like dog doo doo if anything brushes against them; went for red rimstrips, instead. Red spiky valve caps will adorn this.

Let’s see what happens when the new fork and semi integrated headset arrives...

Last edited:
Installed the semi integrated headset into the head tube. The humble hockey puck and a mallet was my tool of choice. Also had a use for my old Bringhelli Crown Race setter.

Little by little, it’s looking like a bike:

B874659A-4009-4C29-9E7C-C3DDA7122DEC.jpeg

Yes- I need some spacers LOL

Motorised bike components are used on this guy. I think I will need a longer M12 bolt for the crank because I had to creatively space the crank to keep from hitting the chain stay. Being that BikeBerry was the one who had the head set, they would have had the correct JIS taper wide shell BB. This bike has been an exercise in irritation, but once the bugs are worked, it will be the most interesting of my steeds.

Apparently, there is a shortage of the BB this bike was spec’d with. You can only get it on their complete bikes! They are selling blem frames with cranks and no BB. I guess Corona virus hit the Bottom Bracket makers hardest!

Latest posts

Back