New Age Hawthorne -- LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: New Age Hawthorne WHY must you MOCK me?

Out and about today, and I think I found my wheel and tire combo:

nah17.jpg

nah18.jpg

Decent looking pair of flat profile chrome rims that should clean up good, with an almost acceptable pair of Swallow redline road tires that look super-cool. These were on a $12 Huffy 626 road bike. My first choice was a set of wheels that were on a Huffy Stalker mountain bike, I swear they were 2" wide and looked just like those 3G wheels, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $34 on a crapped-out Huffy. Good news is, if I decide I want them they'll probably still be there for the next 6 months, just like all the overpriced bikes at that particular thrift store. It did have a nice Viscount springer seat on it for some reason that might make it worth going back for.

In other news, picked some tentative paint colors...

nah19.jpg

Re: New Age Hawthorne -- Wheels, tires, paint...

Love the bike, itll look cool with the red lines. I love the are deco panels and brooks, but think they'd go better on a '50s or older bike, the panels don't fit the spacey look of the bike, the light would look awesome. JMO.

Not much of an update, but I did get the frame sanded down a little for paint:

nah20.jpg

I kind of like it as is, I want some patina but I think I want it to look a little cleaner than it does. Probably mist it with black, then hit it with red and sand it down and see what happens. Just wanted people to know I was still working on it.

Re: New Age Hawthorne

nah12.jpg

I love how this looks like its haulin butt!!
All the paint looks like it burnt off during re-entry :wink:

Cue up EJ's Rocket Man!!!

Time for a little "faux-tina" prep...

First a thin coat of flat black:

nah21.jpg

Then some flat red:

nah22.jpg

Finally some gloss cherry red, to give it a hint of its former glory:

nah23.jpg

I was hoping the reds would be a little more different from each other, so they would look different when I sand through the top coat, but they didn't look much different going on. Gonna wait a week, then start sanding. Got some other parts to work on in the meantime...

Got a couple little sumpin' sumpin's in the mail today:

nah24.jpg

Not sure if I'll be able to figure out how to use these hubs in my build in time, but I'm going to give it a shot. They're bigger than I thought they'd be, so I might have to finally sit down and figure out how to calculate spoke length, but I'm thinking they might work with 27" rims using 26" wheel spokes, just by chance. It would save me from having to buy special spokes. That's if they even fit the frame and fork.

Re: New Age Hawthorne -- YOU'VE GOT MAIL...

I like the leaping forward while it is standing still look to what you have.
Could the white light become a tallight with the > facing forwards?

The art deco garnishes look great.
If you could fit them without having to put extra holes in them if you did not like the effect I am sure they will be a great addittion to your parts stash for another bike or something.
(I will admit to loving art deco and Style Moderne stuff though)

Wheels and fauxtina next.
Gonna be fun!

Can't wait to see the frame sanded! :p

Front wheel laced with tire:

nah26.jpg

Hit the leading edge of the paint with sandpaper and a file:

nah27.jpg

Not sure I'm done messing with it yet...I want it to appear as if its been going fast and hitting things like rocks and debris:

nah28.jpg

Should be interesting when its back together...I might dry-brush on some more black to heighten the effect. Anxious to get the rear wheel laced. By the way, its a fixie (for now):

nah29.jpg

I love the distressed look.
Looks like it just got off the highway doin a buck fiddy! :wink:

Great job!

:mrgreen:

I like how you distressed it with a pattern in mind. Cool!

Re: New Age Hawthorne -- Gosh it's hot...

Cleaned up the tank a little:

nah33.jpg

Sandblasted everything to prepare for paint, but since the outer pieces are cast aluminum I decided to polish them, rather than paint them silver, even though they're pitted pretty bad. I still think it'll look better than silver paint, since a lot of parts are ending up "distressed". Bottom left piece is right out of the blaster, bottom right is after a trip to "Kruger Industrial Smoothing". 8)

Decided on a whim that the tank body will be yellow. Was going to use yellow somewhere, just wasn't sure exactly where:

nah34.jpg

Wanted to do a little more today, but it is oppressively hot and humid here. Walking into my 75 degree house felt like walking into a refrigerator. Weather is supposed to break tomorrow.

Decided to break out the spray cans after all and give the tank a 3 way "heat stress" fade:

nah35.jpg

Tank back together to see what it will look like:

nah36.jpg

Tank mocked up with chain guard in frame:

nah37.jpg

I'M DIGGIN' THIS! I CAN'T WAIT TI SEE IT FINISHED. PEACE

Latest posts

Back