New acquisition: Sun Retro 24-inch

Feb 26, 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Rummaging through the parts department turned out well. Found a 26" fork, front wheel, and tire. Just had to chop 5/8" off the steering tube. Also came up with stem and handlebars off a kiddie bike and a longer seat post. I kinda like the 26" wheel; makes the bike look a bit longer and bolder. Stem, handlebars, and fork need a coat of paint -- black or contrasting?
sun4.jpg
sun5.jpg

Feb 26, 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black is a safe bet, but also fairly uninteresting. What contrasting color?
You're right. The purple handle bars got me thinking about all those cool, purple hot rods out there. I believe that I built an AMT 1949 Mercury plastic model kit and painted it purple over half a century ago. I'm going to see if Krylon makes a satin purple rattle can. I like the satin finish because it is more forgiving of less-than-optimal painting technique and it looks better than gloss when next to old, dull paint elsewhere on the bike.

Feb 26, 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a different stem/handlebar combination. Bars are higher. And I'm kinda feeling' the red on those bars. Now I'm leaning toward painting fork, stem, and and handlebars red. Also going to add a front caliper brake, for those times when stopping is not just a good idea, but necessary.

sun6.jpg

Reactions: Imaginos
Feb 26, 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fork, stem, and HB's are now red (Krylon Satin Pimento). I'm also thinking of converting coaster brake to freewheel and adding caliber brakes fore and aft. I found an article posted online from a 1980's BMX magazine explaining how to accomplish the conversion.

sun7.jpg

Jun 20, 2020
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fork, stem, and HB's are now red (Krylon Satin Pimento). I'm also thinking of converting coaster brake to freewheel and adding caliber brakes fore and aft. I found an article posted online from a 1980's BMX magazine explaining how to accomplish the conversion.

View attachment 137947
You definitely hit that seatpost with the pimento!

Feb 26, 2017
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new chain arrived yesterday so there was a test flight this morning. Forgot to tighten one of the brake pads but didn't end up under a truck. The newly free-wheeling hub is nice 'cause you don't need to hassle with the coaster brake every time you stop. The downside of the 26-inch fork is that you won't be saying "Look mom, no hands." Well maybe you might say it, but I ain't. As a simple and cheap build, I'll put this in the win column.

I was scratching my head at Uncle John DelGato's post and I think I got it. He thinks that the seat post should be red. Havta say, John, you've got a point. Whether that happens depends on the amount of paint left in the can and if I'm inspired.

sun8.jpg
sun9.jpg

The Bike Wall BOXKARS