NERRB Peaks Island Maine ride

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you spell WOW!!! Peaks Island is a cyclists' paradise, made especially great while riding with some of the :cool:ist friends anyone could ever ask for!

I'll post pics tomorrow morning; we just got back about a half-hour ago - time to rest the body. NERRB's are the greatest!!!:)
Glad you guys made it back okay. That was a looong wait for the ferry! Thanks for the lobster dinner !

Glad you guys made it back okay. That was a looong wait for the ferry! Thanks for the lobster dinner !
It was only a 3-hour+ wait :eek: for the ferry...cotton-pick'n tourist's :bigsmile:

You are welcome in regards to the lobster dinner, Jane, sorry about me being to chicken shirt for not cooking them, you and Lisa did a great job, thank you! :)

940b39fb8f32a1a91555e6938b455f39.jpg

a8c978ecf93769a80e3197f0b29da8e1.jpg

1ce295cc432a584e20f3f474fa5eed19.jpg

Busy...[emoji605] [emoji605] [emoji605] [emoji605] [emoji605] [emoji605]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Peaks Island’s East Shore facing the North Atlantic

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20002_zpsjmpcyybc.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20001_zps8rbcoxyh.jpg

A group singing at the Umbrella Cover Museum to the accordion played by the owner; it was some sort of Umbrella national anthem!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20005_zps9oztdfrl.jpg

The greatest bicycle in the history of the world!!!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20006_zpsqofwfimk.jpg

According to the parks people, a little over 30-years ago, a small group of teenagers started to stack the rocks one-atop-the-other, some were knocked over and were restacked, eventually, some of the locals and tourists’ began to make their own sculptors – and a tradition was started!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20007_zpscdieok6g.jpg

Honorable wife checking her e-mail at the library’s wi-fi zone

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20008_zps2sxibbvr.jpg

View of Portland across Casco Bay from the Westside PI

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20009_zps1raelqwt.jpg

Awesome shade tree on Sandy Beach

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20011_zpssmlonbcq.jpg

Time for lobster! Going to Maine and not eating lobster is like going to Disney and not hugging Mickey or Minnie. These three lobsters went from the ocean and into the pot within one-hour (but, I must confess that I was too chicken shirt to put them into the pot, so, my wife Lisa and Jane did them in) the results were beyond delish!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20012_zpsqmi3ezk0.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20013_zpsqrtsh7yz.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20014_zpsdbeztsug.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20016_zpsob33bsee.jpg

The ubiquitous golf cart, these things are all over the place!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20017_zpsk8hamkca.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20018_zpsv2zos84k.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20019_zpsqahejqyt.jpg

A local at the beach

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20020_zpsc0aevfhr.jpg

A group of non-locals at the beach

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20022_zpsnf9fgckn.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20025_zpsvf3j15ks.jpg

Dan’s bike’s credentials

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20026_zpsvbiaqpsn.jpg

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20027_zpsrmacjux7.jpg

Kim as Tarzan’s Jane swinging on a vine!

Peaks%20Island%20Aug%202015%20029_zpssdi411ih.jpg

NERRB’s at Battery Steel

Friends :)

Did I take that shot cause I ain't in it!
I probably dont recall cause I had a shot.
Friday night was a blur but had a great time checking Portland,the Battery at night.
O,did you hear That !!??... Stevil

Did I take that shot cause I ain't in it!
I probably dont recall cause I had a shot.
Friday night was a blur but had a great time checking Portland,the Battery at night.
O,did you hear That !!??... Stevil
Actually Steve, you were in the bathroom. Lol. But seriously, you were. Some local walked by and took the pic for us.

Ya know, that was a great time. So right from the get go I had a fantastic drive to Portland and most excellent ferry ride. The weather was amazing. Then greeted by Jose and Gerry off the ferry!! GERRY GERRY GERRY is going to Jail. It was a pleasure to meet Zygote's wife. Zygote as usual a truly kind and the most friendly guy you ever want to meet with a wealth of knowledge!! Kimmie was my island buddy and Portland protector on our Saturday night excursion. Jame.....ahhh well.....as usual brings out the worst in me....crazy Jane, good times :) Stevil......great times buddy. Your so chill. I enjoyed our conversations and car project status and of course the beverages on the porch. To Trina and her BF, you two were great. Down to earth couple that most definitely make a great addition to the NEERB group!! Dan...well....I'll see ya in 24 hrs so I got nothin for ya here...LOL

Great rides, weather and company. It was good to see all of you. THANK YOU FOR THE INVITE !!!!! Till the next time......

Geez,Brian,you're too kind! You're
preparations for the evening scare were
well appreciated. Good to see ya.

Ya know, that was a great time. So right from the get go I had a fantastic drive to Portland and most excellent ferry ride. The weather was amazing. Then greeted by Jose and Gerry off the ferry!! GERRY GERRY GERRY is going to Jail. It was a pleasure to meet Zygote's wife. Zygote as usual a truly kind and the most friendly guy you ever want to meet with a wealth of knowledge!! Kimmie was my island buddy and Portland protector on our Saturday night excursion.
Jame.....ahhh well.....as usual brings out the worst in me....crazy Jane, good times :) Stevil......great times buddy. Your so chill. I enjoyed our conversations and car project status and of course the beverages on the porch. To Trina and her BF, you two were great. Down to earth couple that most definitely make a great addition to the NEERB group!! Dan...well....I'll see ya in 24 hrs so I got nothin for ya here...LOL

Great rides, weather and company. It was good to see all of you. THANK YOU FOR THE INVITE !!!!! Till the next time......
When you say that I bring out the "worst" in you I am assuming that you actually mean the "best". At least thats how I see it.:giggle: Great to see you again Brian!

That was an epic weekend for sure!! When the police threatened to bring Jerry to jail...that one will go down in history. So many great times with great friends.

Ya know, that was a great time. So right from the get go I had a fantastic drive to Portland and most excellent ferry ride. The weather was amazing. Then greeted by Jose and Gerry off the ferry!! GERRY GERRY GERRY is going to Jail. It was a pleasure to meet Zygote's wife. Zygote as usual a truly kind and the most friendly guy you ever want to meet with a wealth of knowledge!! Kimmie was my island buddy and Portland protector on our Saturday night excursion. Jame.....ahhh well.....as usual brings out the worst in me....crazy Jane, good times :) Stevil......great times buddy. Your so chill. I enjoyed our conversations and car project status and of course the beverages on the porch. To Trina and her BF, you two were great. Down to earth couple that most definitely make a great addition to the NEERB group!! Dan...well....I'll see ya in 24 hrs so I got nothin for ya here...LOL

Thank you for the kind words, Brian; it was good to ride and see you too. Cool to see your suspended ride again and as expected, it attracted a lot of attention from the onlookers!

Now, I know that what happens in Portland stays in Portland, but, what happened in Portland on Saturday night? Post it here, it’ll be our little NERRB secret, no body will know. ;)

Ummmmmmmmmmmm............OK..................:heart::heart::inlove::inlove::heart::inlove::heart::inlove:
NfEgBKL.jpg

:heart::heart::heart::inlove::inlove::inlove::heart::heart::heart::inlove::inlove::inlove:.........forget it, I don't want to know......cotton pick'n naughty kids.....;)

What do you all think, should we make Peaks an annual Friday, Saturday, Sunday event?

During World War II, the island was home to a large military defense installation, including the largest structure, Battery Steele, which housed two 16 inch (406 mm) guns. When Battery Steele's guns were first tested, windows on the opposite side of the island shattered. - from the Peaks Island FB page :)

What do you all think, should we make Peaks an annual Friday, Saturday, Sunday event?

Well I know parking was an issue for some up in Portland. I did talk to the realtor and she said that they could do a 4 day weekend but not until next Sept. Generally they rent by the week. I would like you all to come back to Maine and if no one wants the hassle of parking issues and ferry rides we can always do another Kennebunk ride. We have the Eastern Trail that some of you didnt ride on with the breakfast crew last time. We could do a bit longer ride on that to Run of The Mill Pub in Saco. Theres always Bridal path and spend time at the beach and go into Kport for a beer and lunch. And then there were the offers of free rooms at the Wedding Cake house:shake: :13::crazy::giggle::21:

16 inch guns on the battleship USS South Dakota (1943)

300px-USS_South_Dakota_(BB-57)_at_Scapa_Flow,_1943.jpg

16 inch gun land emplacement Aberdeen, Maryland

16close.jpg

The gun turret races we saw at Battery Steele were the same type used to hold these major caliber weapons of WWII – impressive!

Jane, we can ride anywhere in Maine, it's a great place for a bike riding weekend!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back