Need information regarding a 52' Schwinn Phantom please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thanks for taking some time to possible helping another member out ! Now here's what's going on. I'm not a Schwinn guy by any means and I'm looking for any information I could learn from you guys about my new bicycle whick I believe is a 1952 BF Goodrich Schwinn Phantom. The head badge says BF Goodrich Schwinn Built and the chaingaurd reads Phantom. I also looked up the serial numbers (f11136) whick from the chart I seen dates it between 17th - 20th of Oct 1952.

To make this clear I'm not looking for this information to flip,sell,or part this awesome classic out. This is for my curiosity and love of my new finding ! I'm curious if it's complete and if there was a choice of options for these. I'm saying this because I thought these came with a light mounted on the front fender but mine doesn't have one or the holes and what not for one,whick makes me believe the fenders arn't correct to it. The original owner's brother told me it's sitting as it was bought new. That it's sat in a garage for the last 40 years and his brother rode it for a good 15- 20 before it got put away also he use to call it " The Green Hornet " ! =)

I was also wanting to know where these were produced,if they were hand painted and pinstripped. How many were made and of each color and how many color combos. Is it possible to get a new key for the springer? Really just any cool or odd facts about this bike ! =) I'm still very excited about this one ! It's my first classic and man did i find a awesome one or what !?

I plan to take it all apart to clean polish and regrease what needs to be. Find some new wheels and tires to make a rider out of her. Not a full blown restore but a nice clean up. I love it way to much to sell it right now ! I love the look of it and the weight ! It feels like a freaking tank !! SO anyways any information regarding whats there and whats missing and any other information you might have about it . I'm adding a couple pictures but if you need more let me know of what and withen a day I'll post them up for you. Thanks again guys !!!!! :mrgreen:

Edited to add
I was told I should mention it has chrome rims and not painted,they are S2s I was told, and the fender are chrome also. it has BF Goodrich tires to

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0222.jpg

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Both fenders have been replaced. Original chrome fenders were much deeper, and both the front and rear had a "ducktail" at the bottom. Front fender has a built in fenderlight. Phantoms were made from '49-'59. Yours is a good early one. The Black Phantom was the most common, with lesser numbers of red and green. Schwinns were primed and spray painted then pinstriped by hand. You can get a replacement key from the "Fender Doctor", Wes Pinchot. He is near Chicago and can probably be found on the CABE bike forum.
Gary

I have never been lucky enough to find myself with a locking fork, but I have heard that the key type is a common one and and good locksmith should be able to fix you up with a new one. Schwinn chrome is amazingly resiliant. You may be plesantly suprised how much your rims will clean up with a little elbow grease. I use Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and some 0000 steel wool when I am attacking surface rust.

Awesome ! Thanks guys and for the fast replies ! Yeah I was thinking a brass brush ill try the 0000 also . It'll be a while because of how much I work bit results are coming soon from the clean up ! =) Can't wait

amazing find... I wouldnt sell either. good job man. I look forward to your pics.

1speedJam1982 said:
amazing find... I wouldnt sell either. good job man. I look forward to your pics.

Man I still think it hasn't set in that this is my bike ! LOL Thanks man !

**Edited to add**

I took the tank off to check out the horn and it looks to be in real good shape ! The button is free and seems to be fine. I'm thinking if I cleaned the contacts and put batteries in it I got a working horn !

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0226.jpg

Welp i go her all part and started the clean up. Its coming along real well. The tank didnt clean up as well as i wanted but it still looks alot better. Heres a teaser pic of the truss rods of the springer cleaned up =) more to come soon ! Again guys thanks for your time, info , and interest
TRUSSRODS.jpg

I have an old Phantom that looks pretty similar to yours condition wise. Please keep posting, I look forward to seeing your progress. It ought to give me the motivation to tackle mine.

kscheel said:
I have an old Phantom that looks pretty similar to yours condition wise. Please keep posting, I look forward to seeing your progress. It ought to give me the motivation to tackle mine.

Will do ! It's crazy how well they clean up with a little elbow grease ! I got the forks done and put back together. Speaking of just so you guys know on these old springers the spring actually has a nut holding it to the crown ! Pain in the @#$ to get off !!!

You don't even need those funky nuts that hold the spring to the yolk. Schwinn eliminated those in the 50's and the springer will work just fine without them. Those nuts are just prewar over engineering. Gary

kscheel said:

Here you go with a lite clean, new rims, and regreased and lubed parts 8)

IMAG0326.jpg

IMAG0327.jpg

Latest posts

Back