Naughty Newsboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Awesome

👑 Lord of Irrelevance
Staff member
Admin
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So I scored this Newsboy the other week on its way to the landfill. Not my scene as is, but I know there was good bones and good parts to be had. Stripped off everything. Parted out 90% of the accessories, kept the wheels for future use, and that left me with the frame

Taking inspiration from @SILVERKINGPC and his 21st Century Hawthorne, I figured I would do up something dual purpose. Gravel grind on days when I want the miles and shred around town in search of tacos

IMG_20200922_103653836.jpg

As I got it. Now just a frame

In full parts scrounging mode now thanks to a credit from Amazon and finally getting some money back via eBay

71XHgAQ6U9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Need that

51-meLAtOBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I'll take those too

51CDF-L+jHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sure. That'll work somehow

Screenshot_20201005-230517.png

As long as I use these

I found a source for a rigid 26" fork in 1.125 that has zero offset at the dropouts and no brake mounts. It's an oddball for sure, but I got it for $20 so I'll see if I can't make some chicken soup out of it. With a retro ryder headset I think it'll do the trick!

So I scored this Newsboy the other week on its way to the landfill. Not my scene as is, but I know there was good bones and good parts to be had. Stripped off everything. Parted out 90% of the accessories, kept the wheels for future use, and that left me with the frame

Taking inspiration from @SILVERKINGPC and his 21st Century Hawthorne, I figured I would do up something dual purpose. Gravel grind on days when I want the miles and shred around town in search of tacos

View attachment 140681

As I got it. Now just a frame

In full parts scrounging mode now thanks to a credit from Amazon and finally getting some money back via eBay

View attachment 140682
Need that

View attachment 140683
I'll take those too

View attachment 140684

Sure. That'll work somehow

View attachment 140685
As long as I use these
Can you let me
know what to enter to search for these v brake mounts?

Have you used a ixf hollowtech bb before? Cool to see it installed.
I have a Shimano unit on the shelf. I'll install this and give it a spin, but if it's hot garbage I can always swap it out. I just didn't have any spare crank arms and these were hard to beat for $40

Cool concept. That frame will look great for this.

I'm in for sure. This is a Matti style thing, but you've added a few things: quality parts, skill, ambition, a decent frame, a plan...

"All it takes is ambition and a boatload of cash"

~ Bruce Wayne

:rofl:

Latest posts

Back