Mystery Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked this mystery frame up from my brother, I have no idea what it is, the rear dropouts don't look like Shwinn or Huffy, The serial number on the rear dropout is kinda weird that its upside down, it's 8H635501 from what I can read, the number on the BB is really hard to read, I can't really make it out. I hit it real quick with a brass brush to knock off some garbage. Can you folks help me out?
IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg
IMG_3692.jpg
IMG_3695.jpg
IMG_3696.jpg
IMG_3697.jpg
IMG_3698.jpg
IMG_3699.jpg

Looking at the dropouts I’m sure its not a schwinn. the way the tubes feed into the head tube and the stand thats fitted, best guess its cleveland welding.

That's clearly a Huffy number, the 8 is the last digit of the year, you have to use features to guess the decade. Looking at the different things on yours, I'd guess 1968.

Here's a 68 Huffy:
1616422236097.png

Initially I thought it might be Huffy but the dropouts are a different shape than my dragster, did they change between 66 and 68? Also the head tube on this frame is drilled to accept a headbadge. Huffy used a sticker. Could it be an 68 AMF Roadmaster if the first digit is indicative of the year?

Could be some old Asian-built store band, like a K-mart All Pro, or maybe Kent.
No, the construction is typical of a usa bike. Most of the asian stuff of that era had lugged joints. It will most likely be a huffy, cleveland welding or murray

An AMF of that period would have a serial number that began with one letter, then numbers. Huffy was the only one to have an "H" as the second digit. The bolt for the attachment of the chain guard on the BB is also a Huffy trait. They may have made different dropouts, this one looks like Huffy from 68.
This 68 Huffy pic shows the guard mount and the dropouts. The serial number on this bike is 8H680491.
1968-huffy-rail-dragster-speed-boys_1_c004174b499378ad032e1a0aecbcd2b5.jpg

1968-huffy-rail-dragster-speed-boys_1_c004174b499378ad032e1a0aecbcd2b5 - Copy.jpg

very interesting, they must have different styles of dropouts, as these don't match the dragster dropouts from a 66. I'll have to try and find some catalogs for Huffy in 68.

Latest posts

Back