My Wal Mart Schwinn Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dumpster_diver said:
CCR said:
nice job, i was gonna make it hard and drill holes in the box so the bars would run through the inside, but i can make anything more difficult than it needs to be.

hows yours hangin on there DD ??
My hangin' on by a wire.... didnt want to drill some holes yet.

Looks awesome!!!
You said you widened the handlebars ?? how did you manage that? I would like to try it.

Dude!!! I had that lunchbox in 6th grade! Wow, memories. That lunchbox took a beating. I used to sling it down the street to see the sparks and close the lid on my shirt tail and beat on it with drumsticks like a marching drum.

jeff

You said you widened the handlebars ?? how did you manage that? I would like to try it.

It's pretty easy. I actually got the idea from this forum somewhere. Just pull off the bars, stem & all, holding them vertically with a handgrip side on the floor , put one foot on the floor side and pull up on the other side. Then, just alternate back and forth between each side until you get the correct bend on each upright. I just eyeball it and when it looks right I'm done. I've never tried it on bars from an older bicycle, but the bars on these wally-world bikes are easy to bend with no tools. A slight bend makes all the difference, but you wanna make sure to not go too far and kink the metal or break the bars or something. Hope that helps.

sking1973 said:

It's pretty easy. I actually got the idea from this forum somewhere. Just pull off the bars, stem & all, holding them vertically with a handgrip side on the floor , put one foot on the floor side and pull up on the other side. Then, just alternate back and forth between each side until you get the correct bend on each upright. I just eyeball it and when it looks right I'm done. I've never tried it on bars from an older bicycle, but the bars on these wally-world bikes are easy to bend with no tools. A slight bend makes all the difference, but you wanna make sure to not go too far and kink the metal or break the bars or something. Hope that helps.
I am worried I am going to goof this up.. But that is not gonna stop me from trying! I have one Black Wally Ray left in the box. Time to experiment.

for my grape :) might put it on the bars tho cause i want a wheelie bar too :mrgreen:

100_8524.jpg

heres the grape after i got it, my lbs had put the "new style" stingray bars/neck on it before i got it, i added the fenders. also added a grey ghost seat, white letter slik, lime crossflag valve caps and black schwinn comfort grips since the pic. also got a 20" springer i need to put on it... and i got the parts to make a wheelie bar... and also thought about puttin a "deathproof" skull and bolts board tank in there too, can we say OVERKILL :lol: these are some fun bikes !!!

100_3800.jpg

CCR said:
heres the grape after i got it, my lbs had put the "new style" stingray bars/neck on it before i got it, i added the fenders. also added a grey ghost seat, white letter slik, lime crossflag valve caps and black schwinn comfort grips since the pic. also got a 20" springer i need to put on it... and i got the parts to make a wheelie bar... and also thought about puttin a "deathproof" skull and bolts board tank in there too, can we say OVERKILL :lol: these are some fun bikes !!!
100_3800.jpg

Here's my grape. I bought it still in the box, so any changes were made by me. They include new bars, sissy bar, 20" springer, old style stem, and a white letter slick.

P2010035.jpg

I bought mine a little before you did and have found two old bikes just riding around the neighborhood talking to people when they comment about it, And its funny how many comments I get,but the main thing is I enjoy it and I always wanted an original since I was a kid.The only thing I dont like is the bars never seem to hold after they get tightened(maybe I should lay off trying to pop wheelies with 240lbs of pure muscle) but its all good.

Gold Street Customs said:
The only thing I dont like is the bars never seem to hold after they get tightened(maybe I should lay off trying to pop wheelies with 240lbs of pure muscle) but its all good.

I agree, I've tightened the stem until I can't tighten anymore and it never seems to get tight enough. If you give 'em a real good tug the is still a little movement.

sking1973 said:
The only thing I dont like is the bars never seem to hold after they get tightened(maybe I should lay off trying to pop wheelies with 240lbs of pure muscle) but its all good.

I agree, I've tightened the stem until I can't tighten anymore and it never seems to get tight enough. If you give 'em a real good tug the is still a little movement.
I changed my stem to an 8 dollar schwinn look alike..no problems yet..

I wanted to see what the Wally parts looked like on my Lil Chik
ebay008.jpg

and no I'm not cleaning a thing on it! lol

That Lil Chick looks just about the same color and shape as my Fair lady.
Any condition is rideable my friend!

FaceOFFbikes said:
Ahmen to that, my son was all excited when I brought home this old sears ape bar with training wheels less seat, so I put air in the tires took off the training wheels and he wanted to ride it without a seat...had to make him wait a little longer, something about safety.

FaceOFFbikes said:
Ahmen to that, my son was all excited when I brought home this old sears ape bar with training wheels less seat, so I put air in the tires took off the training wheels and he wanted to ride it without a seat...had to make him wait a little longer, something about safety.
Hmm yes that doesn't sound safe.. I cant put my finger on it.. no seat, seatpost and a eager rider.. lol. As kids we don't think about that stuff. I rode many a bike without seats.. I just couldn't wait.

I have a blue wal mart Krate, its a great bike for $80. I really don't like wal mart quality, but this has been a great bike- do keep the seats out of sunlight though, mine turned yellow really fast (kept indoors- heated garage) and is still yellowing. :cry:

Unchained said:
I have a blue wal mart Krate, its a great bike for $80. I really don't like wal mart quality, but this has been a great bike- do keep the seats out of sunlight though, mine turned yellow really fast (kept indoors- heated garage) and is still yellowing. :cry:

That's a shame, I'm sorry to hear that. After about 6 miles from riding mine, I noticed that the crank bearings needed a new lube job.... 6 miles! :shock: For fun, I go up to my old Schwinn Stingray, exhale my breath on the chrome so it's all foggy, and then compare it to the chrome on my BFK Stingray, they're exactly the same! Hahahahaha! :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back