My Wal Mart Schwinn Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found a Schwinn Stingray at Wal Mart today, you know what the best thing about it was? ... it was on clearance, $59 8)

As I was walking through the store with it, I had an older Wal Mart employee say, "Swin Stingray... nice" ... I hesitated because I didn't know what he was talking about but then I realized he meant to say Schwinn so I said ,"Oh thank you!" He told me that when he was a kid they were really expensive, I kind of felt like saying they aren't expensive anymore because you can get them at Wal Mart but I might of thought he'd be offended so I shut my mouth lol.

I then rolled my bike to a long, narrow aisle in the automotive section... I had my brother make sure nobody was coming on the crossing lanes so I then hopped on the banana seat and just flew down the aisle, man that bike is fast!!!

Once I got my baby home, I took the reflectors off to make it look more vintage, of course you can't beat the looks of the original Schwinn Stingrays... but I'm so glad I bought a new one for $59!!!

stingray2ia4.png

stingray1jx6.png

stingray3yp6.png

stingray4dy7.png

the only thing i did not really like about them was the sprocket and the stickers looked a little generic.
but thats a quick fix. other than that you can't beat the price.

I want 1. Lol i still dont got 1. Ill find em in the trash soon.

Everybody is dogging on the Wal Mart Stingrays but everyone who is dogging on them doesn't even have one... they're not that bad! Mine's doing great.

Here's my green BFK Sting-Ray. I replaced the 20" springer with an aftermarket 24" and put the sissy bar off of my '05 repop on it. THEN, I took the 20" springer from the BFK and put it on my '05. I think the look of both bikes is much improved.

twobikes.jpg

Yep, they're a good base to make a cool bike from. The 20 inch springer looks great on a 20x20 bike and the tall sissy bar is a nice touch. I'm glad they came out, even if not crazy over how. If I see kids (or anybody) riding Stingrays this year, that's awesome.

i might have to copy your grape :shock: the tall sissy it sweet, plus i never cared for the bulky "blade" fork on the repops. im usually a fender guy too but wow does that thing look mean without em !!!

CCR said:
i might have to copy your grape :shock: the tall sissy it sweet, plus i never cared for the bulky "blade" fork on the repops. im usually a fender guy too but wow does that thing look mean without em !!!
Thanks! I'm not the type to keep anything too stock. I also changed out the bars to a wider more swept back set (sorta like Fastback bars) and stuck an old-style stem on it. The icing was the personalized license plate on the rear with my name (you can see it under the rear seat hanging). I just wanted to give it an early 70's custom vibe.

Very nice bikes!!! I love the purple one.

Hey Joshua I know what you mean. I couldn't find any Stingray's by my town, I searched two different Wal Marts. Then I went to a Super Wal Mart and finally found one. :D

? for you green stingray classic guys

i like the green the best outta the 3 BFK colors, but always in pics (on here), when ive seen them in the stores they always looks more bright green crayon colored than the ones i drool over on here and end up passin em by, just wonderin if the color looks different outside in natural light. (read- please give me a reason to pull the trigger before its too late :mrgreen: )

I definitely think the green is the best BFK color. Yes it's bright green. Somewhere between the original Schwinn lime and Campus Green. I like how it looks in the sun. It has a real candy look to it. Here is a pic of mine the day after I bought it.
PB220008.jpg

Heres a Repop Schwinn Grey Ghost that I posted here on Rat Rod Bikes a loooooong time ago, I converted it into a trike, never did spend the time I could have to get the chain working, sold it soon after it was built :(
trike2-2.jpg

trike-3.jpg

Just got mine today and its Blue. I am going to look for another one. My Daughter wants a Black one with a big sissy bar, so I am on the look for another one of them hopefully I can find one.

Latest posts

Back