My Wagons Caprice and Olds C.C.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a great store for random stuff. If you have a Rural king around you check it out too, I work at the kokomo one and it's got everything.

No rural king in Ohio that I'm aware of, but I think we're going to ollie's Monday.

We have tons of stores in Ohio, Circleville, Coshocton, Elyria, Fremont, Gallipolis, Greenville, Hamilton, Heath, Huber Heights, Lebanon, Marion, New Philadelphia, Norwalk, St. Clairsville, Tiffin, Van Wert, Waverly, Wooster, and Xenia.

Also just a tip grab some hog rings and a set of hog ring pliars while you're there, they are very useful in upholstery.

Ok, so a recap of everything done and some plans for the new year:

Previous owner:
Jasper rebuilt engine (5,500 miles)
Rebuilt Trans (10,000 miles)
New catalytic converter and exhaust

Me:
New rims (Stock Chevy van steelies with chrome caps and rings)
Rims painted
Caps and rings polished
New Hankook tires with whitewalls (Front 2 this week)
new fuel pump
fixed window switch
cleaned inside and out
tailgate emblems shaved
New CD/MP3/AM/FM stereo installed
Glove box latch fixed

Still to do:
2 Front tires (this week)
Shave door emblems (Spring)
Steering wheel (This year)
Impala SS grille swap (This year)
Get suspension painted (This summer)
Body undercoating (this summer)
Shave the trim molding and paint lower silver part white (Summer)
Window tint (summer)
front door windows 20%
rear doors 40%
rear side windows 60%
hatch window 40%
New body mounts and suspension bushings (someday)
Replace cracked windshield (this year)
Repaint in Cadillac Pearl White (someday)
Re-do headliner (Summer)
New carpet or shampoo and re-dye the old (this summer)
Air cleaner mod (got something special planned for this)
chrome valve covers (this year)
Lift struts for rear glass (This year)
Swap center arm rest for newer one with storage and cup holders built in
9c1 rear end with disk brake conversion (someday)

Ok, so a recap of everything done and some plans for the new year:

Previous owner:
Jasper rebuilt engine (5,500 miles)
Rebuilt Trans (10,000 miles)
New catalytic converter and exhaust

Me:
New rims (Stock Chevy van steelies with chrome caps and rings)
Rims painted
Caps and rings polished
New Hankook tires with whitewalls (Front 2 this week)
new fuel pump
fixed window switch
cleaned inside and out
tailgate emblems shaved
New CD/MP3/AM/FM stereo installed
Glove box latch fixed

Still to do:
2 Front tires (this week)
Shave door emblems (Spring)
Steering wheel (This year)
Impala SS grille swap (This year)
Get suspension painted (This summer)
Body undercoating (this summer)
Shave the trim molding and paint lower silver part white (Summer)
Window tint (summer)
front door windows 20%
rear doors 40%
rear side windows 60%
hatch window 40%
New body mounts and suspension bushings (someday)
Replace cracked windshield (this year)
Repaint in Cadillac Pearl White (someday)
Re-do headliner (Summer)
New carpet or shampoo and re-dye the old (this summer)
Air cleaner mod (got something special planned for this)
chrome valve covers (this year)
Lift struts for rear glass (This year)
Swap center arm rest for newer one with storage and cup holders built in
9c1 rear end with disk brake conversion (someday)
Going to be awesome!

Luke.

Ok well more updates on the Caprice wagon, the brakes are kinda giving me grief so I put a new master cylinder in it and it helped a little... Also bought new wheel cylinders for the rear but waiting till next check to install them so I can replace the lines at the same time. Also bought an Impala ss grille off of ebay to swap on to it which will be here this weekend. And getting my other two tires next check. The brakes are a temporary fix that will hold me over till spring or summer when the weather is nice enough to allow me to ride my bike to and from work and really focus on putting the wagon down for extensive surgury.

When my tax return comes in I am geting the parts for my bigger plan. I found a Caprice 9c1 (Police package) a guy is parting out and he told me for $400 I can take everything I want off of it so when my tax check comes in I am going full bore crazy on this thing. 9c1 4-wheel-disk-brakes, 9c1 springs which will sit an inch lower and are stiffer, thicker sway bars, upgraded shocks, faster ratio steering rack, upgraded rear gears, new windshield, center arm rest with storage, brake master cylinder and proportioning valve (just to have spares), high output alternator, high output starter, steering fluid coolers, and much more. In the time between now and summer I will be slowly compiling the parts I need to do the entire job at once, new bushing kit, wheel bearings, rotors and pads, end links, ball joints, and I will be cleaning and re-painting everything before it all gets swapped out.

So far I'm about $2,000 deep and still counting. Getting ready to sink another grand in it before this time next year then it will be smooth sailing for many many miles.

That's the kind of budget I'd like to keep for my van, unfortunately I know I can't keep it that low.

Also in other news the Blue Blazer is making a brief return. I am trading the rifle back to the guy I got it from and getting the blazer back. My nephew needs a vehicle and is buying the Blazer from me and the funds will go to my brake and suspension project on the wagon.

That's the kind of budget I'd like to keep for my van, unfortunately I know I can't keep it that low.
Well I got lucky getting the car for $700 with a new engine and trans. And since the Caprice was used in every cab service and police station in America back in the day the parts are mass produced, relatively inexpensive, and most times in stock.

Also I haven't started on phase 3: Bodywork, Paint, and window tint... that will be another $1,500 or so.

Paint is what's gonna kill me on the van, I'm thinking 70's style mural. I may end up going with vinyl wrap to save money.
Other than that it's an 87 Chevy 20 with a 305, parts galore. Just have to bide time til next spring before I can start.

Heard that, Or since you have a huge canvas just buy an airbrush and teach yourself the craft. Then you can make money doing small pieces on other people's cars to fund your project.

I started learning airbrush when I was a teenager, my biggest problem with a lot of things artistic is a head injury I suffered when I was 20.
I can't draw or paint like I use to, I can't play guitar anymore. I know how to do these things,but my brain and my hands haven't been on the same page for years.

Latest posts

Back