My scratch built bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From newest to oldest.
DSCF0013-3.jpg

DSCF0004-33.jpg

DSCF0001-15.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

25rims002.jpg

barsandgrips002.jpg

barsandkickstand002.jpg

nocolor003.jpg

builddone002.jpg

myclone002.jpg

rocket3.jpg

Nice collection of custom bikes! I'm always lookin forward to see what else you come up with. Someday I hope to have that many under my belt! 8)

Those are awesome if you ever want to sell any of them let me know know the first one an the yellow one are my favs but all are cool 8)

Thanks King ..Big country...Randy. I appreciate it.
Only have 4 out of all of them ...the first two the yellow one and the next to the last
twin bar. It was my first. The yellow one is my wife's and she is very protective of it.
She called dibbs right after I got it finished. She doesn't even let me ride it. :roll: :roll:
I have gotten better at building them.

I hope to one day have the time an talent to build my own bike also or a least have a frame built an build it up myself

I like the fact that I can dream up some stuff and then build it. I have seen members getting frames
built and spend several thousand on them. I figured up this last one and with all the parts I would have
to buy to build it again , I'm about $350 into it. That is a lot for me , but I bought more parts than normal
and kinda went overboard. But in reality almost any new bike you buy now costs that.

The roller bender that they sell at Harbor freight. They cost around a hundred on sale. They do work
good and will make some nice bends.

Uncle Stretch said:
The roller bender that they sell at Harbor freight. They cost around a hundred on sale. They do work
good and will make some nice bends.
Thanks! That what I was hoping you would say. What size tubing do you use generally?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I use 1 1/2'' od 18 gauge tubing. They sell it to me for about $20 a 20' piece.
They cut it in half for free. I have used 16 gauge before but man is it hard
to bend. It takes about half a stick to build a frame. The back triangle is bent
with a JD2 bender, They are about $500 ish for one. They do the 180's only , but
can do a looptail like in the second frame. Its 1'' od 16 gauge tubing.

Really great bikecollection,Uncle. You're a gifted man,bike-buildingwise. Thumbs up from the other side of The Pond.
Already looking forward to your next project.

Uncle Stretch said:
I use 1 1/2'' od 18 gauge tubing. They sell it to me for about $20 a 20' piece.
They cut it in half for free. I have used 16 gauge before but man is it hard
to bend. It takes about half a stick to build a frame. The back triangle is bent
with a JD2 bender, They are about $500 ish for one. They do the 180's only , but
can do a looptail like in the second frame. Its 1'' od 16 gauge tubing.
Thanks for the info. I have a Pro-tools 105HD tubing bender. Luckily I have every die from 1/2" to 2" The roll bender will be a great new toy for the shop. Hopefully, I can build a decent bike someday. Yours will be some great inspiration . Roll cages and bumpers are all I've ever built.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wimpy said:
Really great bikecollection,Uncle. You're a gifted man,bike-buildingwise. Thumbs up from the other side of The Pond.
Already looking forward to your next project.

Thanks Wimpy. I really just built stuff because my Nephew owns this site. :wink: Well that and I'm
bored most of the time. Some of them turn out nice...you know what they say...
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Glad you like them.

Mocrawler I'm glad you like them. Really if you can weld and bend tubing , you can build a frame
pretty easy. A new tool is always fun and a cheap tool that works good is even better. :D

Its funny I built a copy of a 1890's bike and saw that one in the one I built
so when I finished the 1890's build I cut it up and made that bike. It really
rode nice.
rideable002.jpg

fdbdown.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Its funny I built a copy of a 1890's bike and saw that one in the one I built
so when I finished the 1890's build I cut it up and made that bike. It really
rode nice.
rideable002.jpg

fdbdown.jpg

I took pictures of a very similar bike while in a museum in London, and I have similar plans to build a copy of (or at least inspired by) it.

A long time ago I was looking for an old bike design to copy.
All the pictures I found the bikes looked pretty much the same as now.
Not a lot has changed from when the things were invented. :shock:

Latest posts

Back