My new Schwinn Paramount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow cool, thanks. It’s OD code on the crank arm. So the crank was built April, 1990. Some other components might be newer? I find it a little strange that not more info was archived, not much is available to tell you who built it. Perhaps that wasn’t as important back then as it is now so no one paid much attention.

Wow cool, thanks. It’s OD code on the crank arm. So the crank was built April, 1990. Some other components might be newer? I find it a little strange that not more info was archived, not much is available to tell you who built it. Perhaps that wasn’t as important back then as it is now so no one paid much attention.

The frame was designed by the paramount design group (PDG) but they sourced the frames from china and japan, depending on the "level" I'm guessing it was intentionally murky to make you buy the more expensive one or think you bought the more expensive one? Anyway, Ultegra made this a higher specced bike so I'd guess this was built by Panasonic in Japan.

The frame was designed by the paramount design group (PDG) but they sourced the frames from china and japan, depending on the "level" I'm guessing it was intentionally murky to make you buy the more expensive one or think you bought the more expensive one? Anyway, Ultegra made this a higher specced bike so I'd guess this was built by Panasonic in Japan.
That’s my guess also. The group set is Shimano 600 tricolor. The Waterford web page lists a red white and blue frame with 600 group set under their PDG page for 1991. You mentioned that these brakes were available in 1991. Since the crank was built in 1990 I’m pretty sure this is what it is. A Panasonic built 1991 Paramount. Thanks for the help.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214742

166081196.jpg

Also: https://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/cl-find-paramount-pdg-90-a-643749.html

562868d1359601749t-cl-find-paramount-pdg-90-pdg90.jpg

So, are these off the shelf models? The only person I know with a Paramount has a customer spec'd fixed gear track bike he used to race a few decades ago.

So, are these off the shelf models? The only person I know with a Paramount has a customer spec'd fixed gear track bike he used to race a few decades ago.
It’s off the shelf. It looks like it is the highest level of the 1991 PDG Asian built Paramounts. It seems like The Paramount Waterford, Wi factory ordered some prototypes from Panaracer to see if they could build a good enough bike to their standards and frame specification. They then sold them as they’re listed on the 1991 Waterford site. I’m not sure if this is right though, as the prototype info is from a blog and not the Waterford site.

It’s in my garage attic. I’ll photo it when I climb the ladder for something else. I hardly looked, just peeked in the box as the cogs were loose, didn’t want to loose anything.
Was it a cassette?

Was it a cassette?
Not sure as I didn’t look but now that I think about it it could be a non thread on that they bought and it didn’t fit. I’m not sure what it is. It’s still in the plastic shopping bag that was used to tie it to the frame. I did a hook shot into my attic junk pile from the top of the ladder.

Latest posts

Back