My new project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, i found this old mtb at a little local bike garage. Cost me just 20 euros. It runs, but wasn't treated very good over the years.
Lets bring it back to life.

DSCI0001mtb_zpsd910f91f.jpg

First step will also be the most annoying one, cause the former owner pasted the whole frame with aluminium foil, using glue and everything. And clear coat all over it. :shock:

DSCI0003mtb_zpsaf793737.jpg

Uncovering just this little part took me about 15 minutes. The frame seems the be white and red.

DSCI0004mtb_zps20f14896.jpg

scrumblero said:
:lol: :lol: tin foil chrome.... thats gonna be fun gettin that off. did you try a hair dryer?

Not yet. Just a little scratchin.You think a hair dryer could work?

....., who puts glue and foil on a bike? If you want it to be silver, PAINT IT SILVER :roll:

I was curious and scratched a little more. And look what hides under the foil:

DSCI0001mtbb_zpsd7065f43.jpg

A Motobecane. An 80s/early 90s classic.So this must be about 20 to 25 years old. In white and red. I'm excited, what a found.
I think it'll be the best to just get rid of the foil and just clean it, and keep the original style. With cleaned chrome parts and white or red tires this should be a winner.

The frame is now foil free. Man this was some annoying work.
But the frame is in a bad shape. Lots of scratches, dirt, rust, missing decals etc. Just cleaning it won't work for me. So it'll get new paint (but with the same color combo, cause i like it). Also new chain and brakes will be added. Can't use them anymore.

DSCI0002mbk_zps28886729.jpg

DSCI0003mbk_zps38a3c1e6.jpg

DSCI0006mbk_zps242d968f.jpg

DSCI0008mbk_zps60d4effc.jpg

DSCI0014mbk_zps79c20ded.jpg

Cheers

Still some work to do. and some cleaning. for example red bar ends and a red chain are on their way.but this is nearly how the bike will look on the whole.

DSCI0001rot_zps3ae68855.jpg

Very nice looking Cane. It must have been a lot of work to glue that foil on.

wheelbender6 said:
Very nice looking Cane. It must have been a lot of work to glue that foil on.

Thank you. Yes, it took several hours to bring the original frame back to the daylight. For the foil i used a hair dryer (by the way, thanks scrumblero for your hint). Then i used salat oil to remove the glue. That actually worked pretty well.

Latest posts

Back