My new Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! My tube roller worked! I bought some tubing and managed to roll it but when I saw that the roller could bent a bigger tube I decided to buy Larger diameter tubes 40mm and 30mm with 3mm wall thickness and give it a try. It managed to bend these too but i had to reconfigure it to hydraulic power because it was impossible manually.
Since i had the tubes and the roller I decided to make a motorcycle instead of a bicycle (since I had an old 1960s Ural bike laying around) I chopped got the motor out together with the stem piece and the dropouts. I making a cruiser like the bicycles I love so much. Everything but the motor and wheels will be hand made.
Its still gonna resemble a bicycle and thats what I m going for! Here are some pics of where I am now
I am going to keep updating. Hope you like it. I put the post here since its a build totally influenced by the cruiser bike style scene

hello again guys! Some minor update here are the two cleaned and detached dropouts from the original Ural bikes swingarm. My frame will be rigid so no need for the rest of the swinarm:)

heres a pic of a metal plug I made from a piece of the original bikes frame. Its going to be used to conect to pieces of tube together which have complex curvatures and i cant make them out of one singe piece.

And since I am going for the total old school look heres a pic of my brass inverted levers I m gonna use enjoy..

Heres a sample pic of some tubing I bended on my bender. Well for those that havent read my previous post my tube bender/roller is completely made out of wood. These bents were made using the ice method and I do thing they re pretty decent! I tap one end of the tube with a small baloon then fill the tube with water and leave it on the balcony overnight (well I live in Siberia so no need for a freezer lol)
The ice method works a treat and no need for baking sand or welding the ends of the tubing since ice binds to the metal.

Siberia? No wonder it's a Ural you're cannibalizing.
yeah! Urals here are quite cheap and ou can find a lot of parts almost everywhere. They are still being produced so there is always the option of buying a new part too. that being said I d like to keep the bike old school with original drum brakes front and rear and maybe I ll make a front springer ... need to finish the frame first and see

Ok here we go! Lots of stuff done. I welded the main frame and now I am beginning to build the rear drop out mounts. The stem piece is in pace too. Looking at the lines of the bike I took the decision to fabricate the front end too. I am thinking leaf spring front end but I am open to any suggestions

I ve also made the decision to integrate the gas tank to the frame. I want to retain as much of the cruiser bicycle picture as possible so a seperate gas tank wont do. I will make the two sides of the gas tank out of sheet metal and cover the area in the main frame. It will hold around 6-8 liters from what I ve ruffly calculated (which is more than enough for a city commuter) and still keep the thin lines i want.

I am thinking leaf spring front end but I am open to any suggestions
Not sure where I originally found these pics, but this is the best leaf fork I have seen, hoping to build one similar myself soon...

14068338422_4cbdd649e6_o.jpg

14071498125_b0ae6e290c_o.jpg

Luke.

Some more progress on the frame! now you can finally see the lines.. I am very excited and its coming along as I had it on my mind. Still need a lot of work my next steps will be to reinforce the rear dropout mounts and start fabricating the motor mounts

That's so cool!!!You have got some definite skills.[Im jealous!!]hahaha that looks like a very wide rearend,what size tire will you run on it?
Thanks! Its actually not that wide. I kept the original width and original rims. Both are 4x19 with an old school profile tyre. I think it looks wide because the rest of the frame is sooooo narrow

Thanks Luke That front end looks really nice but I think its too straight for my project. I need something more curvy like a Dave Cook springer maybe...
Like this?

15857696836_ea252ed4af_z.jpg

Luke.

Some more work done to the frame, put the seat post on (inside it has a small rubber bushing for some extra cushion). I also added two support tubes on the lower frame. Now I am going to buy the sheet metal to close those gaps and form the tank. One of them will act as the mount for the battery box.

I wanted to make the motor mounts too but these days winter has shown its true face and I cant work (Its - 30 celsius here:( )
So I will be focusing on making my solo seat the next days. I am going to make it out of wood and I ll post some pics of the build too

Ok here we go! wood working-bending 101 First i cut several pieces of very thin (4mm) plywood into rough rectangular shapes. Then I soaked them in hot water for 2 hours till they were quite soft.
I made my seat-curve dies out of some off-cuts from a kitchen bench.
Then I used my jack and the bike frame as a press (its a sin i know but it works:)) And pressed every piece of plywood till they were completely dry (its a patience test).

This made them keep the double curvature I wanted. Now I am going to laminate all of them together using an outdoor type wood glue and press them again till they are dry. New pics coming soon..

Latest posts

Back