My Moto finally arrived!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Motobecane FB4 Comp.

I have it about 99% assembled. Only part missing is a chain master link, and I don't have one for a 3/32 chain.

Front 100mm wheel and 4 in. tire - VERY un-scientific lift test, I bet this is about 1/2 the weight of the Beast/Dolo wheel/tires!

Last edited:
Awesome..mine came with the chain on it..it's really lite for a fattie, rides easy everyone who rides mine says "wow it rides a lot better than I thought it would"
I wondered about the chain. It was just wrapped around the cogs, as you can see in one of the pictures.

Cool bike! Just curious how much more does it cost than the Beast / Dolomite?
Outskirts, Here's their selection of fat bikes. The Boris x9 is getting a lot of interest. I ordered mine before the Boris line was offered.
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/fat-bikes.htm

I guess it just all depends on how much you want to modify the Dolo's. Plus Dolo = high 40 lbs. Moto (my model) mid-30's lbs. A lot of people on mtbr.com consider the tires/tubes on this one heavy. Having handled both wheels, these are WAY lighter.

The only problem I had with mine was the front caliper would just slightly hit the spokes so I read on mtb forum of others and did what they did and put small washers under the rotor then when you adjust the caliper it was away from the spokes and I have had no other issues

The only problem I had with mine was the front caliper would just slightly hit the spokes so I read on mtb forum of others and did what they did and put small washers under the rotor then when you adjust the caliper it was away from the spokes and I have had no other issues

Mine does it too. I can't understand how it happens, except the wheel must flex on turns. I read that solution too, but thanks for the reminder. I couldn't quite remember where the spacers go, so thanks to you, I won't have to spend hours to search that thread, it's really long now. I think I'll wait until I replace the rim tape with something "creative".

Question: I read that the double wall rims can fill up with water and crud if you ride thru water/mud etc? I think I'll get some clear silicone sealer and seal up the rim holes when I have the tires off. Any comment or opinion?

Question 2: My rear brake is not quite as tight feeling as the front, if that makes any sense. Have to pull slightly harder. I find no adjustment. Do you know of one? It stops fine, I'm just sorting out the little things now and maybe getting a bit anal.

Bikes Direct over-nighted me a new chain with a master link - new in the box. email yesterday, in my mailbox today. Great service! I went ahead and splurged on a Genuine Shimano 9 spd. chain, so it's on the bike. Shifts fast and precise.

Thanks for the help!

Bike is looking SWEET. I didn't mess with doing anything with the rim holes I don't really ride in the mud and I figured water will spin right out but clear silicon is not a bad idea..as for the brakes the only adjustment is the position of the caliper on the rotors..the way I did it was put it on the bike stand and loosen the two mounting bolts and then I spun the wheel and squeeze the break real tight then tighten the bolts down..may not be the proper way but they work good and they start working better the more they are used

Bike is looking SWEET. I didn't mess with doing anything with the rim holes I don't really ride in the mud and I figured water will spin right out but clear silicon is not a bad idea..as for the brakes the only adjustment is the position of the caliper on the rotors..the way I did it was put it on the bike stand and loosen the two mounting bolts and then I spun the wheel and squeeze the break real tight then tighten the bolts down..may not be the proper way but they work good and they start working better the more they are used

Thanks, I'll give that a try after I install the washers. Ratrod Steve should offer some of his sticker designs as a continuous rim strip! ;)

Latest posts

Back