My first Schwinn Cycle Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was also built on a Monday so you got the cream of the crop. All the workers well rested from the weekend, maybe a little hungover but happy and working. Those built on a Friday at last minute just don't look like that in 60 years.

[/quote]I'll give you a call next time i know i will be around that way, i hate to just drop by unannounced though.[/quote]

That is fine too. :D

outskirtscustoms said:
It was also built on a Monday so you got the cream of the crop. All the workers well rested from the weekend, maybe a little hungover but happy and working. Those built on a Friday at last minute just don't look like that in 60 years.

Unless they partied hard all week end, and came to work wearing sunglasses and the clothes they slept in. :lol:

Anyone know what tires are correct for a 1951? :D

Starting the tear down! :D

cycle1.jpg

cycle2.jpg

cycle3.jpg

cycle4.jpg

cycle5.jpg

I bought my cycle truck 2 weeks ago and, to my surprise, its become a favorite. I dont have a basket on the front only a wood deck, my son enjoys riding on the front of it. Hopefully you got it for a fair deal, guys in Michigan want crazy prices for junk ones that are beyond restoration.

Yeah I got it cheap compared to what they sell for. There was a bent up basket on ebay for one a couple days ago for like $200 range. ☺

KJV said:
will be watching this thread. :mrgreen: 8)
nice cycle,man :arrow:

Thanks! I am dipping most of the hardware in Oxilic Acid(wood bleach) for cleaning,
and most small parts in Evapo Rust. I took some 3M compound to the frame today
and there is a thick black oxidation on the paint, most is coming off so far. Hoping to post new pix soon. ☺

RailRider said:
outskirtscustoms said:
RailRider said:
Cool thanks for the ad! I would love to ad a vintage style logo to the plate, nothing permanent just for fun, I won;t be restoring the bike but I will clean it up, and fix what needs fixed, and maybe repaint the wheel hoops if I cna not find some originals that look close to the bikes condition. ☺
No problem, I was thinking some magnetic letters for it, easily removed, easily painted any color you want, and cheap

I have my own vinyl plotter, and considered cutting something myself. Problem is I want to age it to match the bike so almost needs to be hand painted on. Little undecided right now. ☺

If I were in that position, i'd carefully remove the plate, put it somewhere safe, and make a new one. match the color as best you can, paint whatever logo you want, and no worries-- you can return it to original in a couple of minutes. Sure, the new plate's finish won't be as patinated as the rest of the bike, but the original plate looks exceedingly clean anyway.

just a thought.
-rob

Appreciate the input, I will consider it. ☺

Cleaning up decent so far! It turns out this bike has a dark film all over it, and it is very tough to remove. I got the thinking about it, and remembered my brother had told me the grip on one side had been melted at one point. He said the original owner had told him there was a fire near the bike at one time in the past. They said the building the bike was in almost burned but they got the flames out. However I feel the smoke caused the paint to turn black looking. Most of it has been removed but there is some darker spots that won't come off without stripping the bike. :D

cycletruck3.jpg

cycletruck2-1.jpg

cycletruck1-1.jpg

cycletruck6.jpg

Ron I am with bicycle808 on this one. I would make another plate and paint it how ever you want. You could hold it over the burning barrel to give it that smokey patina look....lol

Yeah may not. I also considered a vinyl sticker which is easier to remove. If I do anything it will be after the bike is back together.
Right now the wheels are soaking and have no chrome. I am considering painting them an off white. ☺

RailRider said:
Yeah I got it cheap compared to what they sell for. There was a bent up basket on ebay for one a couple days ago for like $200 range. ☺
yeah I saw that beat up old basket. dont they still make the basket for them anyways? i know ive seen some big wald baskets at local shops. Ive bought alot of stuff off you on ebay, i still have my wacky wheels in the box you sent me, i like that spade and heart box tape.

Seems like a uinque basket, but I bet you could get something real close. I can still get Wald Baskets whole sale so I will check into it.
A friend told me my basket is the smaller version. ☺

Making some headway on the clean up. The rear fender is pretty rough in spots but leaving it anyway.
The wheels are torn down and the hoops being re-painted. Once those dry this should go back together pretty fast! ☺

cycle1-1.jpg

cycle2-1.jpg

The tires are surprisingly decent for their age. The only problem is I could probably install them without tubes they are so hard! ☺

Latest posts

Back