My Beast is gone...what to buy now???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my Beast on CL....my wife told me to "Get the bike I want"...

so now I'm shopping...here's my short list (in order of highest interest on top)

Origin 8 Crawler - (19.5" model)
http://www.jbimporters.com/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=69292
http://www.origin-8.com/product-description/?prod_model_uid=7933

Downside - I have no idea how the NuVinci CVT rear hub rides and nowhere around here has any bikes with one in stock that I can take for a spin...dropping the kind of coin on this bike would be a BIG gamble if I don't like it...

Sun Spyder (LBS Sells one with upgraded 7speed rear hub)
http://www.jbimporters.com/web/checking_product_description.php?part_number=69192

Downside - By the time I buy the one from the LBS with upgraded 7 speed rear hub, then buy Front & Rear disc brakes for it, I'll be about a hundred bux away from the Origin 8 Crawler, which has an aluminum frame vs. the Spyders CroMoly frame.

Framed Minnesota 2.0 -
http://www.framedbikes.com/v2/minnesota2-blk-wht.html

Spec's look good....but nobody around here sells them so I can't get my hands on one before buying one...

Mongoose Dolemite - This is my last resort bike...its cheap, but is it a nice bike? If it came with Stainless Spokes, and better hardware, I'd already have a tracking # for one.

And last but not least - perhaps a used Pugsly or Moonlander......

the guy that bought my Beast met up with me at a Whataburger by my house...within minutes of taking it out of my truck. a guy stopped by and was like "WOW, those are some big tires...what is that thing!?!?"....which is the coolest thing about the Beast...

Last edited:
I guess she'll murder you if you come home with this.:p

13-hd-electra-glide-classic-bs.jpg

I guess she'll murder you if you come home with this.:p

13-hd-electra-glide-classic-bs.jpg

yeah......I'd be sleeping in the garage with that bike if I bought it....I'm not much of a HD Motorcycle guy....more of a dirt bike guy (even though I own a Harley Davidson edition F150)

Mongoose Dolemite - This is my last resort bike...its cheap, but is it a nice bike? If it came with Stainless Spokes, and better hardware, I'd already have a tracking # for one.

None of us has one yet but looking at the photos, it's mostly a beast with gears and brakes added. My experience with other Mongoose bikes with disc brakes is they aren't great but useable. They are standard so the calipers can be changed out. I expect the bearings are all the same. Same steel frame, seat, bars, super heavy tires.

You might also look at bikesdirect dot com fat bikes. A guy at work has a blue one and it seems like a decent bike for the money.

Downside - I have no idea how the NuVinci CVT rear hub rides and nowhere around here has any bikes with one in stock that I can take for a spin...dropping the kind of coin on this bike would be a BIG gamble if I don't like it..

I hear these hubs are really cool, but heavy. And some wish they had a wider gear ratio spread.

I had a Sun Spider for a few months...it has a hyrdoformed aluminum frame.

Having a 7 speed would definitely help. The one I had with the 2 speed kickback set up was non stop exercise.

The quality was VERY nice, but it still weighed a ton and had you breathing hard.

31ml.jpg

after spending some time over at Big Shell Bikes in Port-A...I'm leaning torwards the Sun Spider w/ a Nexus 7 speed rear hub....except I'll go with Orange Wheels Front/Back and then sell the wheels it comes with here (the rear will have the Sturmy 2 speed Kick-Back) to recoup a few dollars.

I hear these hubs are really cool, but heavy. And some wish they had a wider gear ratio spread.

There is a cad movie of how they work on youtube.

wider range? yikes. it's pretty wide already. But if you live in hills, I guess you need that.

Thats pretty sweet! Whoever came up with that is ALOT smarter than me!

CVTs are pretty cool. I have one in my work car (Prius). It took a while to get used to a car that doesn't shift.

Thats pretty sweet! Whoever came up with that is ALOT smarter than me!

CVTs are pretty cool. I have one in my work car (Prius). It took a while to get used to a car that doesn't shift.

I like how you specified that your Prius is your work car....You don't seem like the kind of guy that would buy one of those heaps..... TDI Jetta or 1/2 ton 4x4 truck would be more believable.

I like how you specified that your Prius is your work car....You don't seem like the kind of guy that would buy one of those heaps..... TDI Jetta or 1/2 ton 4x4 truck would be more believable.

LOL! I bought the Prius when I used to drive 65K miles per year. I had an F150 and a 66 Suburban before that. My other car is a 51 Chevy and my wife drives an 05 Toyota Sequoia. I really want another truck. If I could afford it, I would get a newer 4 door truck of some sort, but you really can't beat the Prius for the gas milage.

it's easy to beat the Prius w/ gas mileage.....get a TDI jetta or TDI Passat....

lower cost of owership over the life of the vehicle....I heard that replacement batteries are like 8K for a prius.....I read another article that the entire lifecycle of a Prius has is worse for the environment than a Suburban when factoring in the manufacturing & disposal

Whoa, he said supercharger drive.
Well all the bads of them is forever gone. I am not sure how I would act if boost was always available, and the same p.s.I....
Ok back to your normally scheduled thread.

Latest posts

Back