My 24" SpaceLiner, (The StarFighter) up for grabs!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My 24" SpaceLiner build, in Progress

tires are on the way... and I might be paying a visit to the New England Muscle Bike Museum on Sunday while my girlfriend is in town, it's only a short drive away and Jim's got some extra 3-speed shifters, he's going to help me pick out one for this bike (and another for my 26" 'Liner).

Incidentally, Jim's got a couple of SpaceLiners autographed by the cast of Star Trek. Is that ridiculous or what?

http://www.nemusclebikes.com/StarTrek.html

That is the coolest place on earth. Have you been to the swap meet there?

Finally got some stuff done for this bike, because I will soon have to make room in my small kitchen so I can get to work on my build-off bike, and this one has still been sitting in a pile in the corner for weeks :oops:
2555725954_71cb2d7e3c.jpg

I took the rim and hub to the LBS last week to get built by the pros (the guy even cuts and threads his own spokes), and today I rode over in the 90+°F heat on my all-original SpaceLiner to pick it up:
2563325239_93c1628b15.jpg

Surprisingly easy to ride back with the wheel.
2563325773_d88e5028b2.jpg

I went with the '79 S/A SC3 hub laced into the original SpaceLiner 24x1.75 drop-center rim. I have an extra 28h Bendix coaster hub if anyone needs it.
Crank issues:
2563326207_8811dd10e1.jpg

I want a longer crank than what was on the 24" bike originally, but the one long crank I tried didn't fit the SpaceLiner chainring on the left, that has the screw holes for the hub cap. I am going to try one of the cranks from the BMX bikes I found in the trash, but I gotta get the chainrings off first.
2563326493_f373cc4291_b.jpg

I call it progress, but I seem to still have a long way to go. I have to figure out how the sissy bar will attach, it doesn't fit on the S/A axle, and I still have to attach the shifter cable to the hub. I am determined though, I need to get this out of the way to work on the build-off bike.

By the way, check out my dashboard:
2563327139_ee9d29312f_b.jpg

2563327779_3e829f0de8.jpg

goes from Safe, to Cruise, to Danger!

Re: My 24" SpaceLiner, (The StarFighter) getting closer

wow this is coming along nicely, scary thought that bike going 40mph.

i'm reeally digging the shifter :D

man that bike takes the cake !!!

the higgins speedo takes the icing :wink:

That looks great. The frames lend themselves nicely to muscle.

So I spent the day today messing around with this. Anyone ever hit a point with a project where you're missing one piece or you can't move one bolt and it just feels like you've hit a brick wall? You lose all momentum and just end up ignoring the project for a little while? That's been me with this project. It's always one little thing that makes me think I can't finish it. Trying to put a bigger crank on last week was dumb, I couldn't find one that fit out of the parts I had, so I just left it. But today, I decided to not let a little thing like that keep me from putting it together, and I just put the old crank back on. I was glad I did because after that things went pretty smoothly, I found a way to mount the sissy bars, I found a seat clamp that fit the post, I was able to mount up the chainguard and speedometer, but then I realized that the chrome chain I bought was actually 3/32 instead of 1/8. Well in the spirit of the day I just went with an extra old chain I had sitting around that was the right size. The only problem with that was I didn't have the right master link, but I was determined to get it together anyway...

I still have to attach the shifter cable, and there are some cosmetic things I'd like to do, in addition to wiring up some lights in the tank (I have the lens).
So here it is:
2582822968_b3eae6d96e_b.jpg

2581995613_72bd530369_b.jpg

2582828422_464c55b9de_b.jpg

So I had to take it for a spin, even though I wasn't sure if the chain would hold. It made it around my apartment complex 1 1/2 times, I was coming down the center lane where there's a slight decline and I was trying to get up speed to get the Speedometer into the Danger zone:
2582001167_e9d1657751_b.jpg

It was at that point that the master link popped off and got lost. The chain was dragging and and I had to pull a flintstones stop. I guess I am going to have to find a new chain or just a new master link or something. But other than that, I am about ready to call it done for now, and make updates as I go. I need to make room and get started on my build-off bike, a couple of people are almost done already!

I took some other pictures too, of the StarFighter next to other rides, for comparison:

with the Sears Spyders:
2581992435_d0115e420a.jpg

all 24", stick-shifts. The StarFighter even has some old Spyder parts on it.

with the all-original SpaceLiner:
2582820496_f753f1d923.jpg

Almost a "before and after" shot.

and with the StarDestroyer:
2582822198_b85dec5195.jpg

This was my first SpaceLiner, and now I making some upgrades. They will be like a matching set, when I am done. They even have the same shifters and speedo's
2581993757_8c412b0078.jpg

just a little work to be done.
2581994787_6bda224e62.jpg

So yeah, that's what I did today. :D
2582829398_327ca26a31.jpg

Re: My 24" SpaceLiner, (The StarFighter) updated 6-16

lookin good joeymac !!! i know just what ya mean as far as "the one little thing", waitin on 3 of them things myself for 3 different bikes :mrgreen: i really like the tank style on that 24 the best outta all the styles too.

Re: My 24" SpaceLiner, (The StarFighter) up for grabs!

JoeyMac said:
I will be selling this bike in the Austin, TX area.

I will post in the FOR SALE section, assuming that I don't break one of the new rules and get my post automatically deleted.

But here's a heads-up for all those interested.

Pretty simple...photo, price and your location.

Keeps 20 people from asking how much? ;)

This build should provide some inspiration to the builders in the latest Muscle Bike Build Off.

Latest posts

Back