Murray Qualifier 1 & 20 (little help, please)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've always wanted a muscle bike, but it needed to be priced well (cheap), and different (not a Stingray). This popped up on CL Sunday evening and now I'm the proud owner of a Murray(?) Qualifier 1 & 20. The only problem is, I know pretty much nothing about it. Most of the information I've found online is about Eliminator's. I'm hoping some of you muscle bike guys can help me out with some info. I'm curious if it's actually a Murray or one of many other department store versions, what the correct head badge (decal) would be. My plan is to clean it and leave it, but I would be interested in finding a 16" red line front tire if they exist (repops or otherwise) to coordinate with the red line slick in the back. Can anyone shed some light on this beast?

Photo from the ad:

Photo from the ad:

In my basement:

Nice find! I think the Otasco bikes used the Qualifier name, so it was probably sold by them originally, but is a Murray made bike. Looks to be in great shape too!

The red line front tires aren't available, even in repop, but guys have had success painting the lines on tires with paint pens that are available at WalMart, etc. I would say go that route it is the easiest.

Well there you go, Coast to Coast it is. I guess a few different places used the Qualifier name, I didn't notice that. Murray-Eliminator comes through again.

Well there you go, Coast to Coast it is. I guess a few different places used the Qualifier name, I didn't notice that. Murray-Eliminator comes through again.
Yeah several stores used the Qualifier name Otasco, Sportcrest and Coast to coast as far as I have seen so far.

I am wondering which it might be, because he is in the middle of the country I thought Otasco. Maybe Sportcrest?

Yes, but no decal on the guard...so maybe they sold the same model to other outlets?

I looked closely today and it almost seems like there are remains of a decal that used to be there. Also, there are tiny screws in the head tube that look like it would have held a badge, not a decal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with Eagleye on the paint pen. You can find a 16" tire with some sort of line on it, then paint it. An Elmers paint pen is what you're looking for. People say they're available at Walmart, but I've never seen them there. I get them off eBay.

My Eye keeps zeroing in on that Crazy Giant Muscle
bike in the back ground in the last pick !

~Rafael~

I think we determined it was a Sportcrest. Eddie has the bike mis-labeled on his site, and Mr. Wilson confirmed that bike was a Sportcrest.

Latest posts

Back