Murray Monterey

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week i buy this Murray Cruiser. who can tell me in which year they were built?

9e887822ce1f9fd91da991bbb708c6d0.png

4c8da21f77d4ca9e465112f7ff6b54b8.png

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My Build Off 13 bike is a Murray Monterey too. When I got it I had no idea what year it was, and going by the condition, thought it'd be from the 1960s or something. After some research I found out that there should be a sticker on the seat tube near the bottom bracket with some numbers that tell you when it was made. I looked on mine and, sure enough, it was there...

724046034.jpg

The numbers on mine are 05-82, which means it was built May 1982.

I can see that yours has a sticker down there, but it looks different to mine. Perhaps you could check that and see what it says.

Glen.

I love those bikes, sometimes check the sticker above the bottom bracket if it's black with white letters & numbers should have the month then the year made for the late 70's to about the mid 80's but if it has a silver sticker on the bottom that starts with 502 the last two numbers will be the year.

The quote above is from... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-help.31264/

The number stamped on the right side of my head tube is MO2 005032. My sticker says 05-82 so the 'MO2' on mine must be for 1982. I don't think the the bike in the video posted by @clamdigger is a 1968 but perhaps 1988... it certainly looks more 80s to me. Yours @Ralph Custom Cruiser looks more like a 90s one to me. I could be wrong though o_O

It certainly is confusing. Heres another ID thread I found... https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/murray-serial-number-project.7014/

Glen.

Here's part of the quote I posted previously...

...but if it has a silver sticker on the bottom that starts with 502 the last two numbers will be the year.

So going by that, yours will be 1994.

4-5020-111794

Glen.

I never found anything on my Monterey frame that helped date it. But the stem was stamped “90” and that along with the Miami Vice styling leads me to believe mine was built in 1990. The number on the head tube had far fewer digits than yours. And now it’s buried in layers of spray paint.

Ok Glen, but what is about the number on the headtube ?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

I'm not sure about the headtube numbers. Mine has 'MO2 005032' on one side and 'E3267652' on the other.

It's very confusing :confused:

Glen.

MO is Murry Ohio. I'm pretty sure the 2 indicates the Lawrenceburg Tennessee plant. The other number is probably a stock number of a retail store where it was sold.

94 is the production date, as indicated on the sticker. I believe the 1117 is also month and day. The MOK prefix on the headtube is for '94, as well (MOJ is '93). If you pull the stem out, it will be stamped '93 or '94 as well, I would bet.

Jason

I had one of these but it was purple. Didn't research the year. I think there was something on it that indicated it was made in Tennessee, but this was 3 years ago and I don't remember if I are breakfast anymore. I Got it for $25 at the thrift store. I cleaned it, polished the chrome, waxed the frame, trued the back wheel and did grease maintenance. Tires were getting to where they needed replacement. I rode it for part of the summer but it really wasn't my thing, too new. I usually fix this vintage and sell for my cost. Sold it for $50 which I felt bad about, felt like I was ripping someone off selling it for more than I paid for it. I'm over that. The blue one is nicer than mine was but the purple one had nice paint and chrome.

Latest posts

Back