Murray maybe?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The seller said schwinn but also claimed he didnt know anything about it. from google and the database link here i beleive its a murray of some sort? Looks like it may have had a tank or accesory mounted to the backside of the headtube. Original color is red.
b6.jpg
b5.jpg
b4.jpg
b2.jpg
b3.jpg

Yes, it is Murray-built with a 1958-1968 double twin tube frame, however, it was sold by Sears (catalog/serial number MOD 502). Murray-built bikes were sold by many others also.
The twin top tubes continue as seat stays to the rear drop-outs; the lower twin tubes (cantilevers) are behind the down tube and stop at the seat cluster.
A later (1964-1968?) "space" design would look similar with the lower twin tubes also continuing to the rear drop-outs; (that Murray-build was called the Spaceliner by Sears).
46800 is the catalog number.
Your bike may be one of the last J.C. Higgins Flightliners.
jchiggins_cat.jpg

Last edited:
Now im kind of sad its missing the tank, but i drove over too look at a ladys bike with schwinn badging and purchased this instead.

The aftermarket Wald basket may have gotten in the way of the tank-light, or it may have rusted away, or the front plastic rotted or cracked. I have a Murray-built in this era; and did not use the chain guard and fenders, after remembering why, as a kid, I could never re-install them correctly, without someplace rubbing or grinding on moving parts.
There are many period-correct replacement parts (rear luggage rack, fenders, etc.) readily available for this bike. Below is an example of one tank-light that I like best.
upload_2017-9-13_13-57-25.png

The coaster brake arm says mussleman hub and brake co. Looks like the original wheels atleast. Im pulling the crank and chainring to clean and grease the bearings ill check for identifiers.

Rear wheel is crap/needs work. Is there a modern replacement that uses a sprocket that fits the stock chain size for this era? Everything i have is 410h chain.

So from google and ebay it doesnt look like its worth much in this shape. Time to build what i want!

Rear pointed dropouts are the tell tale sign ,
Yes Murray built.

Rafael

One speed hubs, even the new ones run with the same size chain. Internally geared hubs (IGH) also run that same chain.

Definitely a Rollfast chain wheel as Phil said, must have been changed out at one time. The rims are different also.

It's a good American made bike, bottom line. Make anything you want out of it.

I'd get a 2 speed kickback with coaster brake wheel set, no cables needed, and since it's a middleweight, go with 2" thick slick tires. You also get more gears with coaster brake in a hub that would work with your chain, but you would need a shifter and cable.

Here's a SA 2 speed kickback on a Murray frame:

spaceliner3_zps72338756-1-jpg.533122

The front wheel has zero markings on it, rear hub is mussleman built in cleveland. The guy i purchased it from bought a house and there was this and 6 girls bikes left there. The crank and sprocket were spray painted gray and likely wont be used, i enjoy modern pedals. Im going to see if i can get the rear repaired, so far no bike shops locally want too mess with it. Thanks for all the information though, i like learning almost as much as riding.

it doesn't look like its worth much in this shape. Time to build what I want
Maybe the bike will grow on you, after a while appreciate the Murray Ohio design?
I got my Murray Missile (single top tube) into riding condition (rode it last on Sunday), and I am leaving the project on back-burner.
index.php

Note that these "speed weight" (middleweight) bikes were designed for 1.75" tires; (may be a limitation).
wheel...needs work. Is there a modern replacement that...fits
These 1960's bikes are of fairly modern; the cog/sprocket uses the same 3-lugs design with a spring clip retainer; a recent thread discussed economical modern wheel sets (single wall aluminum). Another simple option may be prep./prime and paint with so-called rattle-can aerosol spray paint.

Last edited:
20170914_193928.jpg
I like the look so no issue there, didnt mean to come off that way. I got it rideable tonight but it needs a proper rear wheel. Factory one was missing a few spokes and loose so i toss a mountain bike wheelset on it so its easier too move around.

2 tires and a rear wheel are on the next order i make. It currently has 26×1.95s on it and they clear well.

These frames are quite desirable, but because so many were produced, they're simply not that uncommon. If a few damaged spokes are your only complaint, those can be replaced pretty easily. Even if replacement wheels are more to your liking, preserve the Musselman hub and offer it in the classifieds--I'm sure someone would be interested.

Looks good! Do you have any other bike shops in town? Maybe they can spruce up that rear wheel for you.

Or check your craigslist for bikes or bike parts. I've seen a lot of whole bikes with one speed or 3 speed wheels going cheaper than a replacement wheel. Some with good tires too.

Amazon can beat bike shop prices too.

I use alot of facebook marketplace bikes for parts. Looking for a 26 inch single speed now actually. Might have stumbled over another vintage bike to go look at though. Bikes seem too multiply

b21.jpg
b22.jpg
b23.jpg
b25.jpg
b26.jpg

Picked this one up today straw and all, its rough and also appears to be murray built but the serial number is getting me no wear. Bendix hub with a red band. i passed on a female bike with similiar badging. So if you guys have any guess for a year on this one while im browsing google. Didnt have time to tear it all apart tonight.

You've already figured that's a Murray product of similar vintage to the first bike, but with a slightly more conventional top tube. Hiawatha bikes were marketed through Gamble's Hardware stores but, beyond the nifty badge, weren't much different than an equivalent Murray or Higgins.

Looks like you'll be needing a couple of pedals, but don't trash the rubber blocks from the ones you have...you may regret it later.

Latest posts

Back