BO15 Murray Fire Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've decided to join this year's build off. This will be my fourth attempt at a build off bike. Although I eventually finished building the other three, I missed the deadlines. I'll post pictures of those in the appropriate forums later. I'm building what I like to call a Murray Fire Rat, basically a ratty version of a 1970's Murray Fire Cat. I've owned a couple of Murray choppers in the past including the two Fire Cats pictured below.
Cat1.jpg

IMG_3426.JPG

For this build I will be starting with this crusty front end that I bought at the Trexlertown swap a little while back for $15. I was originally going to flip them but for some reason I just held on to them. I believe I have most everything I need for this project in my parts stash. I will post pictures as I dig them out and start building.

IMG_5114.JPG

Last edited:
Cool starting point. Welcome back to the build off fun!
RaT oN~!

I've decided to join this year's build off. This will be my fourth attempt at a build off bike. Although I eventually finished building the other three, I missed the deadlines. I'll post pictures of those in the appropriate forums later. I'm building what I like to call a Murray Fire Rat, basically a ratty version of a 1970's Murray Fire Cat. I've owned a couple of Murray choppers in the past including the two Fire Cats pictured below.
View attachment 119051
View attachment 119053

For this build I will be starting with this crusty front end that I bought at the Trexlertown swap a little while back for $15. I was originally going to flip them but for some reason I just held on to them. I believe I have most everything I need for this project in my parts stash. I will post pictures as I dig them out and start building.

View attachment 119054
Great deal on that front end!

I was at Trexlertown too.... some deals there, but I think that front end had to be the best deal I saw there!!!

Love those forks and apes. Had those in my parts stash a while back bit never used them.

I pulled out two chopper frames that I had, a Free Spirit that was repainted blue and a Gambles that's rusty and crusty. Normally when I build a bike I will start with a nicer frame.

IMG_5117.JPG

But because I'm building more of a 'rat' bike for this build I'm going to use the rusty Gambles frame. It's got plenty of patina.

IMG_5123.JPG

I've said before that I'm not really a muscle bike guy, but this has always been one of my favorites. Never owned one though.
Looking forward to seeing what you do.

After a little more digging today I found another muffler chainguard. I originally bought this to restore and use on a Murray MX dirt bike build but I think it will work better on this chopper instead. I'm going to leave the 'ratty' patina on it. It matches the theme of the bike I'm building.
IMG_5128.JPG

Awesome exhaust guard

Hey, I know that style nanner!

After a little more digging today I found another muffler chainguard. I originally bought this to restore and use on a Murray MX dirt bike build but I think it will work better on this chopper instead. I'm going to leave the 'ratty' patina on it. It matches the theme of the bike I'm building.
View attachment 120968

That may be one of the coolest chainguards I’ve ever seen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back