Murray Astro Flite - ASTRO SUPREME

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave, you must be livin' right. Nice guess on the LED lights. With that dropped springer fork on there, this thing is going to be sweet! Watching for those patented 'gowjobs' touches....

I was very happy to discover that the old ladies Black Phantom stem that I have had kicking around my parts stash for the last few years actually fits in this steerer tube. It's somewhere between 21.1mm and 22.2mm in diameter, and never seems to work in any fork I have tried it in.
Of course, if I decide that it just doesn't work visually, I can shim a 21.1, or maybe run my flex-hone down the steerer a few times.

Looks like So Cal is in for a stormy, wet weekend. I'll try to put on some warm socks and invest at least a couple of hours in the garage working on this on Saturday. If not, just be assured that I'll spend some quality time building scale models, instead.

Good thing you have going here with another TRM Tank. Also great fork . I could use a heads up on the lights if you don't mind .i could use two for mine also.[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've always used the 3/4" lights. I'm interested to see the 1" lights on your tank!

These look like they're actually the 3/4" Lamps. I think the seller is listing them by the mounting hole size required, and not by the diameter of the LED. Anyway, when I hold them up to the tank, they appear as if they're the same as the ones that you use.

I measured them last night, and they're just the standard 3/4" ones, except with a little nicer lens and the "chrome" bezel instead of the standard black one that the rest of them seem to ship with.

I got those same chrome bezel lights for mine, but I'm not using the chrome trim ring. I haven't lit the clear ones, but I used a red one for the secondary rocket nozzle on Retro Rocket and it's pretty bright for a small light (though it's hard to figure exactly with the reflections of the stainless steel). Two of them in clear would probably be moderately functional and will certainly get you seen.

I'm still in the parts-gathering phase for the most part. The seat and the upholstery fabric arrived this week.

I did get the seat stripped down, exposing a lot of rust on the once-chrome outer seat pan.

Also, my Harley solo seat springs showed up, and I think that 2" springs will give my springer that raked-out lowrider look that I'm going for.

Last edited:
Good to know those forks fit that frame. Have the same,and wanted see if they looked good with the liner frame...

If there are two elements that define a lowrider bike visually, they must be shiny wheels and skinny whitewall tires. I did the stretch thing, test-fitting a vintage Dunlop 24x1.75 tire on a 57mm wide polished rim. I still need to drill some holes so I can order and then lace 72 spokes for each wheel.

If there are two elements that define a lowrider bike visually, they must be shiny wheels and skinny whitewall tires. I did the stretch thing, test-fitting a vintage Dunlop 24x1.75 tire on a 57mm wide polished rim. I still need to drill some holes so I can order and then lace 72 spokes for each wheel.
That is going to be cool!

Latest posts

Back