Multi-ColorFlow, Boba, Scribble's Rat-Flow. Part XVIV Finished For Real This Time I Swear

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's stating to become a bike again, and man oh man this was a day and a half it took me all day just to get the bottom bracket rebuilt
And I know what your thinking how in the world does one take all day just to repack a bottom bracket, well that happens when your cup set is so warn out that no matter how many times you take it apart and put it back together it won't stop feeling like you used rocks instead of fresh grease. So finally after taking it apart for the 20th time I finally found out that the cups were very much DEAD.
IMG_9493.JPG

IMG_9494.JPG

Head set press, one of the best tools ever.
IMG_9495.JPG

These are the cups that caused me so much grief, don't worry I aggressively chucked them in the nearest trash just to make my self feel better :mad:.
IMG_9496.JPG

IMG_9500.JPG

Finally got it put together.
IMG_9501.JPG

head set reassembled.
IMG_9503.JPG

a little teaser of what this baby is going to look like so far I :heart: it.

Scribs, you have a good one going here for sure!
Nice work! :thumbsup:

Alright now it's time to decide on which set of bars, and which seat will go on the Flow. I'm partial to the persons and the swoop back bars. But let me know what you guys are thinking.
IMG_9517.JPG

Persons is on the right, Messenger is on the left.
Torrington swoop back bars on top, standard Torrington bars that came with the bike originally on the bottom.
IMG_9520.jpg

Also if any one can help me with the year on this bike, that would be much appreciated.
IMG_9514.jpg

MOS-R MOD 502 502-28
19 04 12

I like the swoop back bars, and on my personal experience messenger saddles are really comfy compared to persons.

Can't help with id on the frame, unfortunately.

I like the longer-springed saddle, and I find the wider bars more comfy, but I'm a 46 Long sport coat, so I need to be spread out a bit.

Either way, you have two good options!

I like the longer-springed saddle, and I find the wider bars more comfy, but I'm a 46 Long sport coat, so I need to be spread out a bit.

Either way, you have two good options!

Ditto 6'2 and 190 pounds under my belt. These old bikes tend to be killler on the knees, Even for a whippersnapper like me.

Drilled out the holes for the skirt guards, and got to test fit it all.
IMG_9525.JPG

I bought myself a brand new set of cobalt drill bits just for the Flow and SliverKing projects.
IMG_9526.JPG

IMG_9529.JPG

Good idea on the new drill bit purchase. I completely blew through a 1/4" bit just cutting those two holes in that 1/8" flat steel for the drop stand!

Good idea on the new drill bit purchase. I completely blew through a 1/4" bit just cutting those two holes in that 1/8" flat steel for the drop stand!
Ya and this was the easier application for the bits. My Silver King has a whole bunch of corroded screws that I'm going to have to drill and tap.
I also found out the year of the bike, 1952 J.C Higgins Color-Flow has a nice ring to it.

IMG_9532.JPG

Special addition to the build.
IMG_9535.JPG

I put the wing nut on the end of a screwdriver, and then crimped the nut so it would fit in the end of handle bars.
IMG_9537.JPG

IMG_9538.JPG

And like magic I've made some custom jeweled gips.
IMG_9540.JPG
Jewels !!
IMG_9543.JPG

s-l500.jpg

Also bought this, super stoked.

Last edited:
Now that is ingenuity at it's finest! Was that an old wing nut? I've never seen that version, most are solid. If I can find some of these, I'm going to copy your idea.

Remember : "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." :nerd:

Now that is ingenuity at it's finest! Was that an old wing nut? I've never seen that version, most are solid. If I can find some of these, I'm going to copy your idea.

Ya I got them off Ebay, think the seller said they where 1970s-80s plastic jewels for cars. And thanks for the compliment :happy:.

Some small mom and pop hardware stores still carry wing nuts like that, if you have an ACE or do it best in your area check them.

Some small mom and pop hardware stores still carry wing nuts like that, if you have an ACE or do it best in your area check them.
ACE right down the street. They know me by my first name, and that's pretty good for a major population center.

Well it's together again, and I've been riding it around town to work out any little bugs the bike rides really nice. Although I'm on the fence about leaving the skirt guards bare metal, let me know what you guys are thinking.
IMG_9549.JPG

IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9550.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9560.JPG

IMG_9551.JPG

IMG_9552.JPG

IMG_9556.JPG

IMG_9558.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back