BO15 Mudd (my name is)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the Midwest we don't have mountains or a strand but we have oceans of soybeans. And mud, hence the name. So I'm building a Soybeanie BMX style 26er for the build off. This build is definitely going for function over form.

The victim: 1947 JC Higgins. Bought on the cheap, painted with a brush by somebodies grandpa, plastic pinstripes, floppy crank, but a really nice seat cover.... or not. Rear facing dropouts, 5/8" seatpost. It has a crank bite out of the chain stay so some welding is in order. Preliminary paint removal shows layers of blue, red, and green. This bad newt has been enjoyed.

Plans: Strip paint, weld crank bite, weld crimped dropouts, BMX chrome fork, solid stainless seat post, motorcycle handlebars, heavy duty coaster brake wheelset, fattest rubber that will fit, sproingy seat, maybe a front brake, heavy duty crank, some kind of trap pedals that will eat shin flesh. And some paint too. Mudd is being built for flogging so the paint isn't going to be critical.
20200501_090654.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes.

I've scrounged up most of the parts for this build and now need to motivate, The toughest part of this build is going to be removing the paint. I picked up a can of stripper but will first do the welding because it's more fun.

That is a "Primus" example of a great bike to start off the 79th BO15 entry with.

Sweet build! Going to follow this one!
Btw: a "Strand Cruiser", what does it mean for American speaking citizens? Strand means beach?
In my language Strand means beach :thumbsup: We pronounce it probably a bit different.

Sorry for hijacking your post, could not resist it... ;)

Sweet build! Going to follow this one!
Btw: a "Strand Cruiser", what does it mean for American speaking citizens? Strand means beach?
In my language Strand means beach :thumbsup: We pronounce it probably a bit different.

Sorry for hijacking your post, could not resist it... ;)
The Strand is a beach trail in Southern California and the cruiser bikes ridden on the path are called strandies

The Strand is a beach trail in Southern California and the cruiser bikes ridden on the path are called strandies
Nice learned something new. Thanks!

It's also a specific style. In the mid eighties, BMX was blowing up, and small companies were hand building cruiser frames and equipping then with high end racing components. A golden era of American bikes in my opinion.
images.jpeg
49525756538_bb8dd42478_b.jpg

If you have a few days to burn, check this out. It's like the Strandie bible.

https://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=446554&p=1

Strand is beach here as well. Myrtle Beach in South Carolina has The Grand Strand. I have always thought of Strandies as beefed up beach cruisers the ride the Strand anywhere. I'm not sure they are California specific.

Welcome to the best custom vintage rat rod bike site on the internet! The best way to get integrated into this group is by building a bike in the annual RRB forum; so you're in it!

You've got some solid ideas for a cool strandie / cruiser / klunker build. Motorcycle bars on bike builds are one of my favorite things too. And as far as tires go, mo fatta mo betta!

RaT oN~!

Welcome to the best custom vintage rat rod bike site on the internet! The best way to get integrated into this group is by building a bike in the annual RRB forum; so you're in it!

You've got some solid ideas for a cool strandie / cruiser / klunker build. Motorcycle bars on bike builds are one of my favorite things too. And as far as tires go, mo fatta mo betta!

RaT oN~!
Thanks for the welcome. I've got a set of Emgo enduro bars and a double clamp for the build. The chainstay width is going to be the deciding factor on the tires but I'm guessing 2.3 by eyeeball

Strand is beach here as well. Myrtle Beach in South Carolina has The Grand Strand. I have always thought of Strandies as beefed up beach cruisers the ride the Strand anywhere. I'm not sure they are California specific.
I wasn't aware of strands being a universal term. The trail by the river here is under water due to rain but it is now my strand when it resurfaces.

As a fellow Midwesterner who loves my klunker because of its ability to goof off in mud and on the small trails we have I’ll be following along. I ended up gearing mine clear down to 36/18. It’s great in gunk but it runs out of gear quick cruising pavement

Haha! Oh oh, here we go! Southeast coastal vs California beach all heated up and HOT!
Let the sand slinging begin!
slingingsand.jpg

Aloysius Devandander Abercrombie is long for mud, so I’ve been told!

Latest posts

Back