BO15 Mudd (my name is)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...boring side chainstay,
... had been filled with a primitive filler, perhaps polymerized Necco wafers.
... might snap right when the chicks are looking.
Original Mudd plan
View attachment 121727
New Mudd plan

View attachment 121728
I guess I'm not needed here...
download.jpeg

:13: How did you pull that dent?
It wasn't a dent, it was where a bent crank struck it for hundreds of revolutions taking metal off. Welded it. Start on the edge of the good metal and fill toward the divot. It was mighty thin in the deep spot so I had to be careful not to blow a hole in it.

Mudd is now moving at glacial speed, removing paint suxxxxxxx. I've used sandpaper, chemical stripper, and a wire brush in a die grinder. The paint ranges from taffy soft to Rockwell hardness 58 HRC. What makes a person continue to sand with paper that is wore out and clogged? The definition of insanity right there. So, at the moment Mudd looks like it has a bad case of scurvy.

I did get one piece of the puzzle done. I'm using unknurled handlebars and wanted a double clamp stem. Everything I located was too spendy. I found a NOS mountain bike stem that is workable but it had a bracket for a cable welded to the stem. So I bought the stem and played Lorena Bobbit on it.

Before
20200521_215228.jpg

Mo' better

20200521_220509.jpg

Mudd is now moving at glacial speed, removing paint suxxxxxxx. I've used sandpaper, chemical stripper, and a wire brush in a die grinder. The paint ranges from taffy soft to Rockwell hardness 58 HRC. What makes a person continue to sand with paper that is wore out and clogged? The definition of insanity right there. So, at the moment Mudd looks like it has a bad case of scurvy.

I did get one piece of the puzzle done. I'm using unknurled handlebars and wanted a double clamp stem. Everything I located was too spendy. I found a NOS mountain bike stem that is workable but it had a bracket for a cable welded to the stem. So I bought the stem and played Lorena Bobbit on it.

Before
View attachment 121911

Mo' better

View attachment 121912

That's a seriously cool stem. Where's it from?

I've decided on Detroit diesel green for paint. So todays chore is driving around to all the local parts stores to see if I can source it locally. Wearing a mask fogs my glasses so I'll probably walk out with spray on window tint. Got some JC Higgins water slides in red coming too.

I've decided on Detroit diesel green for paint. So todays chore is driving around to all the local parts stores to see if I can source it locally. Wearing a mask fogs my glasses so I'll probably walk out with spray on window tint. Got some JC Higgins water slides in red coming too.
O’Reillys usually has it. Some Advance stores too.
I just got some a few months ago! ;)
DEBC5464-8B29-4269-A243-F7A4EFA5F68C.jpeg
08DEE765-D51B-45C7-905F-790C35D9708B.jpeg

That Detroit diesel green sure looks alot like Bianchi green.

1590170044917.png

Bianchi is more of a robin egg blue, detroit diesel is closer to pond algae

View attachment 121943
May be just the way that picture looks on my screen, but Detroit green is quite a bit lighter than that picture of the 12V71 above. Or least the Detroit Alpine green is.

What's your clearance Clarence? None at all. All the way forward in the dropouts, K-Rad 2.30s give you perma brakes. After the chain shows up, I'll install the crankset and hope the wheel sits further back. Otherwise the Heavy Duti just got some hot new skins. Also, the rims make my eyes sad, they need a little razzamatazz. Polished sides with Detroit green paint (whatever that is) centers ought to help that situation.

20200522_174337.jpg

What's your clearance Clarence? None at all. All the way forward in the dropouts, K-Rad 2.30s give you perma brakes. After the chain shows up, I'll install the crankset and hope the wheel sits further back. Otherwise the Heavy Duti just got some hot new skins. Also, the rims make my eyes sad, they need a little razzamatazz. Polished sides with Detroit green paint (whatever that is) centers ought to help that situation.

View attachment 121975
Checked the chain line when adding fatter tires . This is where many issues are ?

Checked the chain line when adding fatter tires . This is where many issues are ?
I had hoped to have all of the parts this weekend for a full dry mock up. Two vendors didn't show the courtesy of letting me know they didn't have the parts in stock making me wait and finally inquiring myself to find out. So I had to reorder through different vendors and the chain is one of the parts. I have a used chain but it is oily and I want to avoid getting any contaminants on the raw metal frame.

View attachment 121975

@GuitarlCarl chime in here with your chain stay dimpler tool.

I had hoped to have all of the parts this weekend for a full dry mock up. Two vendors didn't show the courtesy of letting me know they didn't have the parts in stock making me wait and finally inquiring myself to find out. So I had to reorder through different vendors and the chain is one of the parts. I have a used chain but it is oily and I want to avoid getting any contaminants on the raw metal frame.
A good wipe down with rubbing alcohol does a lot for cleaning off contaminates before painting. It’s going to be a great color!

Latest posts

Back