Mrs Robinson

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent some time with a wire brush in a die grinder cleaning up the frame. There is a small amount of cleanup to do around the bottom bracket and it will be almost ready for primer. The fender is next.

20200609_222737.jpg

The fender is now de-rusted. The sheet metal has a leather grain appearance so it will be gone over with spot putty before paint to get it smoother. The tires have arrived, cream 700c X 28. I like fat tires on most everything but that wouldn't do this build right, so skinny it is. The rims, nickel plate, and power supply should also arrive today. Before plating, the parts will be reverse elecrolyticly cleaned in vinegar. I have some graphite plates that I need to modify for the cathodes. I also have ordered a titanium mesh anode and 2 lbs of pure nickel squares because it will ultimately be less expensive than doing nickel sheets and I also have a pretty crusty Sayre Duplex waiting its turn after the Mrs is done. Tonight, if time allows, I will begin bending the seatpost into shape.

The first tests of nickel plating failed and I think it may have been from copper contamination in the acetate solution. It may also have been from the nickel itself, I kind of think my source may have hoodwinked me in regards to purity. The next batch of nickel will be here this week and I'll give it another go. Meanwhile I measured for spokes and have them ordered. This is my first time trying wheel building so I'm a bit nervous about getting the spoke lengths correct. I'd like to get a first coat of self etching primer on everything to be painted but it has been too windy to paint.

The project got stalled briefly while I finished my build off bike and took care of some other things calling for my attention but I'm ready to get back with it. Until I have the nickel plating fully figured out, I'm going to keep building and take parts off later to plate them.

Finding pedal blocks has been a supreme challenge. The originals were intact but in very poor condition. I have searched every day since starting this project for suitable replacements but had no luck. I found white pedal blocks but they were priced way too high for what would be place holders until I found or made something close to original. Finally I found some white winged pedals! I am in the process of taking them apart and cleaning them up. I may attempt to shave some of the ribs in between the wings which would make them even closer to the originals.

20200627_160005.jpg

Hot and humid tonight so I fired up the torch with a rosebud tip and formed the seatpost. I used a scan from the 1891 catalog to eyeball the bends, they might need tweaking after it is all bolted up, but look pretty close. I'll cut it to length after it is ready for final assembly.

Image.jpg
20200701_212118.jpg

The pedals are disassembled and getting cleaned up. They don't thread into the crank arm like modern pedals, but use a large nut to secure them. The end plates are stamped "Columbia" and "Pat 1885". The photo with the red color on the block screws is showing thick cardboard like paper wrapped around the block screws that served as a bushing when these were manufactured. I was expecting the screws to be severely rusted when I removed it but they showed very little rusting and are fine to re-use.

20200630_202654.jpg
20200630_204617.jpg
20200630_204526.jpg

Started paint tonight (finally). The primer is laid down on the frame, fork, and fender. I forgot to bring the crank sprocket with me so I still need to get it primed. Hopefully she will be wearing a fresh coat of black within an evening or two. I am going to try VHT chassis paint to get a durable finish, top it off with gloss clear coat.

20200727_194052.jpg

DANG! What an awesome experience this build must be. Once you latch on to an example like this one, you stop being a bike mechanic and become a museum conservator. You are doing it proud!

Started paint tonight (finally). The primer is laid down on the frame, fork, and fender. I forgot to bring the crank sprocket with me so I still need to get it primed. Hopefully she will be wearing a fresh coat of black within an evening or two. I am going to try VHT chassis paint to get a durable finish, top it off with gloss clear coat.

View attachment 130736

beautiful work, she deserves all that special attention

Latest posts

Back