Moving to Dallas, trying not to overstress

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to be working on our bikes but me and my fiance are trying to get our houses packed up for a move to Dallas, as we will be spending the first portion of our marriage there due to her getting an opportunity to go to fashion design school. I am really blessed, but this last 18 months has stressed me out and I need to vent a little. I'm not looking for anyone to read this, I just need to get it out of my system. In January of 2008, I was let go by the audio/video firm I had worked at for 6 years...I had been with them right after college and through my seminary training (and my first forray into bicycles as an adult)...suddenly they wanted me gone, and I was let go due to "restructuring." After a lot of prayer, I have forgiven them but it has been a, mainly financial, struggle ever since. A few months of unemployment, then some friends asked me to come work at their coffee shop. Best experience of my life in regards to work. We were and are family...a bunch of loyal nutty people. I started riding my bike to work nearly every day, and my coworkers got me into the singlespeed and fixie scene a bit. I met my fiance last summer and it has been a godsend having her in my world, as I never thought I would find someone so supportive in my passion for God, coffee & beers, bikes and the arts. In January of this year, we had to close our doors at the coffee shop here in Fort Worth, and I have been struggling a lot with finances and doubt, being way behind on debt payments even though me and H. live as lean as we can - no sweet Brooks saddle for me! Despite the sadness for losing my full time career as a high end coffee profesional, I have gotten a job with family but our cost of living as a couple about to get married has gone up and will go up more with the location change. As a person who wants to help people with their spiritual life, it has been a bit discouraging when my finances and my focus in general have been so wrecked as of late. The wedding plans are progressing, but not without each of us having occassional freak out moments about how we are going to manage bills, a small mountain of my debt, and still be able to eat...not to mention maintain our love for old bikes! The waves are rolling over me a bit, but somehow I know I'll survive with my faith in tact. I just needed to vent about how scary it is to up and move to a more expensive city right before one gets married. Luckily, I see God's gifts in her eyes so that gives me peace. Okay, off to run errands then maybe I get those parts for her cruiser primed...finally.

I feel compelled to throw in my two cents on you post. As a young man I went through a bricklayer apprentiship to be a union bricklayer.It took 4 years. I aquired a wife and child and due to the nature of the construction trade ,there was never a time when I could plan on a steady check to cover my bills. Had family help and worked hard and made a good living ,because I got out as much as I put into it. At 33 the construction trade crashed and I had to make a change in jobs. It was scary at first ,but I stayed strong in the belief that I would always get out of life what I put into it. Sometimes your tested ,but you say you have the faith so why are you scared of the outcome. If you truly believe , then you should feel safe in the fact that you are protected. A mere change in jobs or cities should not be that big of a deal. :wink:

Latest posts

Back