MOTORIZED?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slowriderz said:
MAN i wish I would have seen this earlier! day late and a dollar short.... maybe next time!

have fun guys!

I agree with SSG on this on haha, we had this funny idea that we could take on a 'fairly simple' build during the beginning of the OH SO CHEAP AND EASY GOING winter season ...yyyeeeah, that didn't really work out :|

If you have a frame you can throw into the mix than you're dead tied with the rest of us lol. I believe all our motors are either non existent still or need rebuilt, I have to get a new carb myself cause she rotted out :oops:
Feel free to join in ANYTIME if you want, we wont mind and you'll probably win (I would not be surprised if we dont make this spring deadline haha), and I don't mind ownin' up and shakin' hands with you if you do :wink:

Hahaha, yeaahhhh.. the.. ...4... ..pictures of progress should show you what you're up against lol. Its okay though its not a race or anything.

Hopefully I'll have good spending money/time to spend on the bike here soon. Need that carb, then a gusset for my seat post, and a tank. So most of my dish is manual labor - which I can do this weekend (if mein fraulein doesn't need me for anything :roll:). BUT it's also that time of the season to do some touch work on the ol' Falcon Gasser, awaken the SB Dodge up and blitz the cobwebs out of the headers. :wink: So maybe I'll get to it when I'm out there, Ill post new pics of what I got at least. Welcome aboard the buildoff :D
-Hans

Image.jpg

Ok well here we go i guess. Not real sure if it is up to the level of the nice patina on the frames you guys are working with but......
Purchased this cheapo schwinn on craigslist in pretty rough shape. chopped it up and stretched it out 8 inches. attempting to go with a board track racer "style". Engine is a 66cc flying horse china motor (currently in a million pcs.)
IMG00663-20110726-1805.jpg

wheels, forks and other components currently on order.
will post more pictures soon

Parts are starting to come in and I think my wife is considering her punishment options for me. I should have had them sent to my work address! I assure you that the cost of the parts will double as my wife will SHOP her anger out!

At any rate.... I should have a pretty good start this weekend. more pictures to come

Ratter said:
Guys I am so following this. I am debating on throwing a little chainsaw engine onto my Felt MP.

Feel free to join if you want, never a limit to people joining in on a little productive fun :mrgreen: Post your progress in here of you decide to join

slowriderz said:
Just got confirmation that the last box of parts is on my doorstep! Confirmed by nasty phone call from my wife over lunch break at work... i feel a long night in the chop shop is ahead! :mrgreen:

Sweeeet! I am in total cahoots with this build, that's a very lovely stretch you have, like that tensioner too. Man, all your guys' stuff is gonna look prettier than mine, I'm just hoping my unreasonable amount of power and near ruggedness will compensate enough for this build :roll: Keep up the good work, cant wait to see another up date from any you guys!

Well I just had to "mock" it up again when I received my parts. This build is my first run with 24 inch wheels. I was dying to see how it would sit. I really like it!! :mrgreen: I now have it torn back down and will continue with the prime coats.

IMG-20111214-00103.jpg

IMG-20111214-00105.jpg

IMG-20111214-00108.jpg

SectionEightLife said:
slowriderz said:
Just got confirmation that the last box of parts is on my doorstep! Confirmed by nasty phone call from my wife over lunch break at work... i feel a long night in the chop shop is ahead! :mrgreen:

Sweeeet! I am in total cahoots with this build, that's a very lovely stretch you have, like that tensioner too. Man, all your guys' stuff is gonna look prettier than mine, I'm just hoping my unreasonable amount of power and near ruggedness will compensate enough for this build :roll: Keep up the good work, cant wait to see another up date from any you guys!

Thank you for the positive feedback bro! I am sure your build will rock! Just thought I would throw in a couple of the "ugly" parts of my build lol. As for the chain tensioner.....I have built a few of these MAB's and really want this one to be safe and reliable. The stock china kit tensioners always leave me with a feeling of potential disaster.

30$ box 'o' parts from Craigslist....
IMG00649-20110722-1402.jpg

cut up...
IMG00658-20110726-1236.jpg

Tensioner...

P1010012.jpg

Very nice! :mrgreen: And yeah I just said by Odin's beard and just blitz-welded my tensioners to their frames, the steel aint to shabby, the design just sucks. ..um you wanna swap frames? Could use a little engine space :lol:

Oh hey! theres some secretness that Ive been wanting to share with another gasbike builder on here. Everyone has troubles with mounts, thats the biggest thing, mounts and chain that wont break (which that ones solved with good ol' Tractor Supply No. 41). But I had a buddy of mine who needs one of these to legitly get around town. Well his was bought from some dude in some place sitting around in some blah blah blah. So Ive ripped this thing apart inside and out and fortified it over and over and over again, ain't the prettiest thing, but function over fashion is the key and soul to any hotrod. Finally his rear mounts broke off good for a second time. Was gonna re-stud them but some ingenuity struck. The bolts on the rear of crankcase go all the way through, picked up longer bolts slid them through, and welded big thick tabs from the seat-tube-thingy (cant think of the words right now :roll:)for the bolts to bolt into nice and solidly. it anchored the whole motor to the frame very nicely and took out A TON of vibration, I didnt even realize that much vibration came from the motor wobbling!If he had a pirate cycle type hub on it instead of a wobbly stock sprocket it would have been perfectly smooth. I know its hard to imagine but Ima whip up some magical MS paint schematics for you guys :lol:

The builds that I have done in the past have had solid frame mounts welded in. My plan is to do the same with this one tomorrow. I just had to get my wheelset and tires in so I could find out how much side to side adjustment I will need to build into my motor mounts. I will surely post more pics of that step once I get there. As for the sprocket... this is my first time using a "hub clamp" style sprocket adapter. It is a sportsman flyer 3 pc. adapter with 40 tooth sprocket. OH MY!!!!!!! i think i held it in my hand for over an hour when i got it last night. its a pc of art! :D

Yes hub clamps are sooooo amazing. Makes it almost fun to play with the wheel as opposed to that spend 50 hours tightening the rubber grippy thing to find out that its crooked nonsense :x

But here, Ive been needin' to post 'schematics' like this somewhere, pretty clever idea.
(dont mind the magical MS paint quality :roll: )
motorweld1.jpg

and
motorweld2.jpg

I thought about designs for welding the mounts straight to the frame, but i know for a fact im gonna break something on these things, I like this because its still removable but holds solid as a rock.

Im sure if you do a solid mount of some sort on this build too with that hub clamp of yours it'll be so smooth goin' down the road itll practically purr like a kitten. :D

Latest posts

Back