Motorized Bicycles

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who all here has converted their bike to a motorized one? Who has an old relic that was a conversion from back in the day? I have been riding mine for a while now and with more frequency being that my truck is down. I have been seeing them all over the place here in Tucson and was wondering what you guys are doing out there. I have seen some on here that are a real inspiration to me with a couple of the ideas you guys have had. These things are addictive, to me at least, lol.

OMG! Put a stinky engine on a bicycle? SACRILEGE I SAZ!!1!

:D

Schwinn winter beater, 1940's Rollfast, & a 1960's Stokvis (click to view);

Cadillac Fleetwood 8) with a NuVinci CVT hub, Zoom Bikes engine kit, SBP Jackshaft, Fat Franks...

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

I've toyed with the idea of building one. The problem is here in NJ you wouldn't be able to use it on the road legally, and my yard's too small.

Nice bikes guys! Don't do it Bigcam59! You'll get hooked. See, I have noticed that I now have two sicknesses. Classic, old school bikes AND motorized bikes. :D

Does any one else make their own motors work or do you all buy kits? These are home made hack jobs capable of doing over 50 m.p.h. on the long one and over 40 mph on the taller one. Both are 49cc engines. Oh yeah. Im electric start! I have a lot more being done to them but they are rideable.
IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

I'm sorry, but I don't post speeds w/o substantiation :wink:

As for engine mods... port n' polish, lapped head w/custom gasket, custom intake & exhaust manifolds & gaskets, expansion chamber, port matching, CNS carburetor, indexed plug, fastener & hardware upgrades, and ofc the shiftkit through a Sturmey Archer X-RD3... not a mod - but I've broken it in and run w/100:1 Amsoil exclusively & not directly related to performance - but I've done some cosmetic reworking of the cooling fins etc. I'll prolly crack the case to replace/upgrade the bearings this winter, tho I've not had any problems - I'd like to increase the compression more and that seems to be when ya have bearing & crank failures w/these things.

I like to think of the engine itself as a kit... while ya can ofc jus' bolt n'go, there's lots more to be had outa these cheapo lil motors w/a lil lovin' & Dremel time 8)

i plan on going through mine after break in/this winter and do some porting and
polishing but the carb is my main issue without a air/fuel screw.

as far as speed i was tryin to see what gain to cost ratio you got.

Gain to cost?

Other than the expansion chamber & carb it's pretty much just labor - but even those items aren't particularly costly. The gain is ofc a far better running & reliable engine.

If your primary concern is speed - then ya needn't worry too much about getting a fancy carby, the added complexity of a carb is mostly to improve performance across the various throttle positions. If yer interested in speed - then it's WOT alone yer focusing on & ya can simply rejet the one you've got: http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalog/pr ... t941onepu0 & fine tune with the needle clip settings.

Even a port and polish only marginally improves speed performance, it's mostly for a far smoother running engine (tho I do recommend it), for the biggest gain on a two stroke - it'd be port matching & getting a proper expansion chamber for it if you've not already :wink:

BarelyAWake from motobicycling private message

Although you may not need/already seen it - I figured I'd pass along this link just in case ;) Basic Porting

I was thinkin' about posting the above link in that thread... but I dunno if it'd be a "conflict of interest" - I don't wanna offend the good folks on Rat Rod, it's a sweet forum

don't think steve will mind!! even if it wasn't bike related i still don't believe he would care but since it is bike related it is just info for the people that cross over to the dark side of motorized bicycling.

as far as the port and polish this winter i will be doing that but i was looking for was what parts/price gave you the best gains for your money spent aside from the free gains from porting and polishing

but you haven't any base for me to go on before you did you mods. i can only see money spent for your mods/parts not the HP or speed gains from stock engine.

my buddy got a cop to clock him on his stock bike.
the cop clocked him at 42. well when we ride together and he is at WOT as fast as he can go i can on my BONE STOCK engine crack my throttle open and pull away increasing the gap between us until i slow down for him.
if we start at the same point and both ran WOT by the end of the second mile i will have a 1/2 mile gain on him if not better.

i'm happy with mine as it sets but i know that a carb with a air/fuel mix screw would able to fine tune not necessarily for big gains in the top speed but will do a better job lubing engine and fuel delivery/MPG.

this is why i asked the cost to gain ratio you got from your mods then could share with others best price to power when it comes time for them to spend their money..

Wow frameteam2003 - that's one of those bikes that's extremely deceptive, looking at just the finished ride ya'd be hard pressed to realize just how much thought & effort went into it - a truly unique build that's so clean it looks factory! Glad ya posted the build pics or I'da been fooled too lol

Where'd ya dig up the springer? I don't think I've seen one quite like that before...

:shock: ZOMG Trash - posting PMs! I feel so exposed lolz
/covers self

Upper Class White Trash said:
as far as the port and polish this winter i will be doing that but i was looking for was what parts/price gave you the best gains for your money spent aside from the free gains from porting and polishing

but you haven't any base for me to go on before you did you mods. i can only see money spent for your mods/parts not the HP or speed gains from stock engine...

Well, TBH there's a coupla difficulties with providing such specific & precise data as you're requesting - the first and most relevant is due to the Chinese *cough* ..."quality control" there's a huge amount of variance from engine to engine, let alone factory to factory. Stock, out-of-the-box ppl will usually get anywhere from 20-30mph with identical bikes & what looks to be identical motors so it's extremely hard to have a basis for comparison, particularly as almost no one has a dyno beyond the "seat of the pants" guessing. A minimum of a 30% difference between identical engines before any modification means ya might get lucky, have a particularly good engine & see little gain from such mods - or exactly the opposite.

The second "problem" is as I've been a motorhead for years I've not run one of these engines "stock" - when I got my first one I hadta crack it open just to see what kinda engine I got for so little money... & I'm very glad I did lol, I now like to say that it's not so much a "Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit" but a "Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit" in that the engine itself is a "kit" with the finishing stages skipped to cut costs & only loosely assembled as to not loose the parts in transit. The thread I linked ya to in the other forum's PM: The Basics, Port & Polish and Port Matching pretty graphically illustrates not only how sloppy they are, but how simple & easy it is to fix/finish. As I've not run my motors out-of-the-box... I can only say that mine drastically outperforms some others locally, but even that's unfair as there's so many variables.

Upper Class White Trash said:
...i'm happy with mine as it sets but i know that a carb with a air/fuel mix screw would able to fine tune not necessarily for big gains in the top speed but will do a better job lubing engine and fuel delivery/MPG.

this is why i asked the cost to gain ratio you got from your mods then could share with others best price to power when it comes time for them to spend their money..

Well... again the specifics are wildly variable but I will say that a proper expansion chamber is without a doubt the absolute most beneficial purchase for the money. A critical component of a two stroke engine, an Expansion Chamber acts sort of like the exhaust valves on a four stroke motor. The kit supplied "muffler" is not only unduly restrictive, simply drilling it out or removing the endcap only provides the most marginal of gains and may even lead to engine damage (lean condition) as the point of an expansion chamber is to provide a small amount of timed & tuned back pressure to help prevent the fuel/air charge from passing right through the combustion chamber, keeping it in the engine long enough to be ignited. It can also be one of the least expensive "modifications" (I like to think of it as replacing a missing component lol) - while for maximum gain you should seek an expansion chamber with the correct shape/volume for your exact engine displacement & tune the headpipe length to suit your powerband needs, you can ofc use one that's "pretty close" - which means you can use any number of the commonplace & cheap 50cc "pocket bike" expansion chambers available all over the 'net for as little as $20, sometimes even less. I will also say that even that wont provide nearly as much as is potentially available unless the engine is properly port matched first (free & easy).

The pesky carby... heh, well again - it all depends on application. If ya spend all of your time at wide open throttle there's no benefit at all with a more complex carburetor as your utilizing it's main jet exclusively and it's fuel/air adjustment can be easily altered to suit with just the needle clip settings. While it's true a proper air/fuel set screw makes it easier to fine tune to your exact elevation/atmospheric density & oil/fuel ratio (less oil in mix = more fuel & thus slightly richer air/fuel ratio) the same can be accomplished with simply rejetting the stock carb. As I ride all year 'round (cold air = denser, leans mix), have a shift kit (thus run at lower RPM/throttle) and run an extremely lean oil/fuel ratio* I found the more complex carb to be slightly beneficial... but by no means a requirement. Where you might see a pronounced power gain with an aftermarket carb is if you've gotten one with a larger venturi (larger passage allows more air, thus more fuel = greater available CFM)... but remember, regardless of the carby's size - you're still limited by the intake manifold's inner diameter, the intake port's size and ofc your engine's displacement.

So... while I'll not say that a more complex carb is a waste of money, I will say it's about the lowest priority insofar as performance upgrades with the least beneficial "price to power" ratio. A minor point but still a factor is the old truism that the more adjustment something provides, the more adjustment it requires - if ya don't like fiddling about all the time trying to get the most out of something, stick w/the bone-simple stock carby ;)

* "run an extremely lean oil/fuel ratio"
Disclaimer: There's much controversy regarding "exotic" synthetics at such extreme ratios as 100:1... While I do it myself, I don't particularly recommend it as there's little gain beyond simply having to buy less oil (there's less buildup, but that's minor) and ofc there's hazards involved. Generally it's best to run w/e the oil manufacturer recommends for their product, not the Chinese engine manual. A good all around mix is 32:1 with a standard, non-synthetic two stroke oil (not marine two stroke oil as that's for liquid cooled engines, thus a lower average operating temperature).

I have this bike I am babysitting for a friend. He has no room for it right now. It is a Sears Spaceliner fbike that was trashed. Very nice build. It needs a custom built tank and get rid of the big tank, then it would suit the bike better.

bikes232.jpg

bikes233.jpg

bikes234.jpg

oldy57 said:

hey unless he put some fab time on that muffler and that is how he has it??? the muffler cap! it looks like it is about fall off!!

buddy's just did the same thing a few days ago and i suggest you/he take the screw out and find a good grade replacement!!

my buddy broke his off trying to tighten it and i had to weld it up for him..

BarelyAWake said:
:shock: ZOMG Trash - posting PMs! I feel so exposed lolz
/covers self

no worries Brah!! it was info that some will need and like to see for when they enter the darkside AAAHAHAHAH :mrgreen:

if it wasn't kid friendly or it was something between just you and i... it would have never been posted!! :wink:

but i understand you on the each engine is different, climate, plug, cap,

wire, needle setting all will play a role in how much you can gain from a stock engine.

i asked you here because i was looking more for a cost to gain in figures because i could couldn't find any numbers on the other site.

i looked and looked for something along the lines as:

stock engine kit 44 tooth 150 bucks base speed out of the box after break in 27 mph 200 lb rider

port/polish cost, free, plug/cap, 7 bucks, 32 mph 200 lb rider

so for 7 bucks and a little of your time 5 MPH gain, better idle and little better gas economy is well worth it money vs.gain

thanks for the info!! i was looking more for just general numbers

Latest posts

Back