MotoDromo Cycles new build T35A

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I havent posted a new bike since "Rosso", which wound up as Ms. July in this years RRB calendar... Thanks!! btw I sold it to a guy with a real 1915 Indian... Anyway here is one of my latest creations, painted as close to a vintage Bugatti blue as I could find, hence T35A. I used the new felt circuit tires and they are friggin awesome. Hope you like it! Oh before you ask, yes that's a coffee cup holder... its the only thing the buyer specified, go figure.
Cheers,
Jasper

motodromocycles-2.jpg

motodromocycles-5.jpg

motodromocycles-3.jpg

motodromocycles-6.jpg

motodromocycles-4.jpg

In those pics, Bugatti blue looks a lot like Petty blue. I guess its the sun, because Bugatti blue seems to have some gray in it, making it a colder color.

wheelbender6 said:
In those pics, Bugatti blue looks a lot like Petty blue. I guess its the sun, because Bugatti blue seems to have some gray in it, making it a colder color.

Hi wheelbender6, I see you are a fan of vintage racing as well. I am a bit of a racing history nut as well. You are very right about the blue you linked, however that is a later Bleu de France color bugatti adopted to when countries started using specific colors in racing. blue for France, Green for England, Silver for Germany, and of course red for Italy. Early Bugatti blues were actually chosen by Mrs. Bugatti and were based on the original Gauloises cigarette case colors of the early 1920's which were a very pale powder blue http://www.camstancephotography.com/#/photos/cars/rolex-monterey-motorsports-reunion-2012?i=677. Bugatti blue then randomly became comparatively darker and more saturated over the decades until it became Bleu de France which was also used by Talbot Lago, Delage, Amilcar, and Delahaye. Finally for semantics sake I named the bike T35A which was an early unsupercharged under 2 liter Bugatti which were in the lighter shades of blue. Anyway that's enough nerdy vintage car talk... Take a look at some more of the pics in the link if u want, Ive shot lots of vintage race cars.
Cheers,
Jasper

Wow. You should co-host a show on Speed channel with Alan de Cadanet. I was unaware of that being the national color. it took a lot of guts to do over 100 mph in those vintage racers on those easily punctured tires (and no pit crew to change them).

wheelbender6 said:
Wow. You should co-host a show on Speed channel with Alan de Cadanet. I was unaware of that being the national color. it took a lot of huevos to do over 100 mph in those vintage racers on those easily punctured tires (and no pit crew to change them).

Haha thanks! Alan has such a vast knowledge, I wish I knew half of what he does. But seriously, victory by design was absolutely heaven on earth for me lol, I have the full season on my desktop... Pre-war GP racing was basically all about competing countries instead of "team" and "drivers" In fact the best drivers of the time like Nuvolari, von Tripps, Hill, Ascari and Rosemeyer would often change teams from race to race, or when another car was more competitive. no seatbelts, no real helmets, no rollbar, rediculous positive camber, drum brakes, and a lot of cars ran pure methanol or nitrus! the crazy pit crew fueled the cars up with jerry cans above exposed headers! it makes my brain hurt haha. And try closer to 200mph, some cars were pushing close to 500hp by the mid 30's and the race tracks were just closed off public highways with like 3 mile straightaways. In fact Rosemeyer died in 38' when he crashed into a bridge doing 267mph on the Autobahn... yup epic. There I go again on a rant. Must control my fingers lol. Im seriously thinking about starting a vintage racing blog tho, I guess this thread is a trial run haha.

There are still a few places where they race on public roads like that. Nova Scotia comes to mind. They also race some public roads in the Dakar Rally and Baja 1000.
I agree that the competition was absolutely fierce (and fearless) with national teams involved. You cannot expect a driver, crewman or athlete to toil for a corporate sponsor as he would for his national team. Ask a soccer or hockey player.
I remember the Trophy des Nations motocross event. The competition was absolutely cut throat. The CZ riders were trying to show their steeds were every bit as good as those from capitalist nations. Those old motocrossers, now in their 60's and 70's, still are not on speaking terms with their old rivals. It was far more than friendly competition.
I guess it is better, all things considered, that we are less nationalistic these days, but I wish I could have been a spectator at some of those prewar races.

wheelbender6 said:
There are still a few places where they race on public roads like that. Nova Scotia comes to mind. They also race some public roads in the Dakar Rally and Baja 1000.
I agree that the competition was absolutely fierce (and fearless) with national teams involved. You cannot expect a driver, crewman or athlete to toil for a corporate sponsor as he would for his national team. Ask a soccer or hockey player.
I remember the Trophy des Nations motocross event. The competition was absolutely cut throat. The CZ riders were trying to show their steeds were every bit as good as those from capitalist nations. Those old motocrossers, now in their 60's and 70's, still are not on speaking terms with their old rivals. It was far more than friendly competition.
I guess it is better, all things considered, that we are less nationalistic these days, but I wish I could have been a spectator at some of those prewar races.

Ive heard rumors of the Noca Scotia Targa but I dont really know much about it. Dakar is awesome when I was living in Holland I would watch all the coverage. The crazy Dutch always drove those insane offroad semi trucks.
Definitely true about the pre-war drivers, although most of them were rich kids or wealthy aristocrats and industrialists, so they had absolutely no care about money, they just wanted to win in whatever the fastest car was.
I can only imagine how epic the Trophy des Nations must have been, again i have only heard about it in whispers.

Latest posts

Back