Most comfortable seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I'm looking to replace my seat with something a little more stylish, but I also want to make sure it's the most comfortable option available also. I'd like to go with one of these possibly:

6620_VictorHairpin_saddle_01.jpg

or

ResampleImg.ashx

or

ResampleImg.ashx

Or something similar. I'm a bigger guy (240 lbs), so I'll need something that'll hold up also, but I'm primarily looking for comfort.

I really like the looks of the complete hairpin springs (with the loops in the back), and they're cheaper than the Brooks, but I know Brooks saddles have a reputation for being the best in the world (and they have the price to match).

Also, if you have any other recommendations, I'd be glad to hear 'em!

Thanks!

If you are seeking quality, go with the brooks. This is really nothing more than a case of "you get what you pay for!" I had one of the cheap hairpin style seats, I am also a bigger guy, you may like the looks on the cheaper one but that is all you will like! And after a short while, good chance you won't even like the looks as it will change(mine started to "cave in" quickly). :wink:

The most comfortable seat I found was the Bell gel filled booger at walmart.

Not stylish but nice on the backside

personally the old long springs(troxel/person/messinger) are my favorite but the brooks(b66 i think) that you posted in the last pic is really quite comfy as well(as well as quite pricey for the most part) and a close 2nd....if you can spend the $ go for the brooks

A bouncy saddle is pretty cool if you don't have to peddle, but I find that spring seats are best if they don't move much, (like the first Brooks pictured), and, if you ride with "correct" seat height, not any wider than necessary. If you're doing the low and slow thing, or doing a laid back stretch/recumbent thing, then wide becomes your best friend. :mrgreen: The higher your handlebar, the more seat you need, 'cause that's where the weight is. Decent gel or padded saddles work 'cause like a good leather one, they give consistently but they don't squish out . :| For riding any distance, stiff leather seats are great (once conformed to your glutes), and overly flexible ones BITE. O.K., another one of my technical opinion posts is turning into a blog. :roll: 'bye. :wink:

I've always been partial to mesinger's cruiser seat, modeled after the Black Phantom and Heavy Duty seats. I stuck a tan one on Murrrat:
CRIM0004.jpg
Most were black, but they used the tan ones on some excercise bikes, and the early tan Murray Montereys.-Adam

While I haven't ridden a B73, I do own a Wrights saddle with springs at all three corners. It has a LOT of lateral movement. Kinda feels like you aren't attached to the bike. Like riding a black leather cloud.

From what I gather, the B73 is pretty much the same. It is far from unrideable, but may not be your cup of tea. That said, it is my favorite Brooks saddle for looks.

i like restoring old pan seats. to me theres nothing better in the comfort department.

Latest posts

Back