Morrow Hub "Slips or has too much play" HELP!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellas I just posted a few pics in the gallery of my 46 Schwinn, I love the bike problem is it has a Morrow rear and it slips. What I mean by thet is when Im pedaling it feels great but once I stop and coast then try and pedal again, the crank does a full turn before it engages again..and its the same for braking, its about a full turn back before it grabs...anyone else have that problem or know what I need to do to fix it.. also Ive never worked on a Morrow, is it similar to a New Departure D or Bendix Coaster.. or is it completely different..just want to make sure I could put it back together If I decide to tear it down...any help would really be appreciated, thank you! :D

Bigbar02.jpg

it's completely different- but so are the bendix and n.d. you mentioned!

good exploded views are online. try cleaning and regreasing it, could just be old and sticky in there. if you can deal with the other 2 hubs the morrow will be no big deal.

:wink:

Your first Morrow will seem like the devil. The second one will be a cinch.

That sounds like an adjustment problem in the engaging spring. I did not adjust it tight enough on the first one I rebuilt and had it do the same thing (you'll see what I'm talking about when you dig in). Dissect it from the drive side if you can.. that way you can pull apart the spring section whole and take note of your starting point.

I just put on my big boy pants and cracked into my second Morrow and had no such trouble. Good luck!

Figured I'd bring this back for some help on a Morrow I'm working on. It doesn't brake well. You have to really stomp on it and even then it is weak.I pulled it apart, cleaned, greased and reassembled. I'm still having the problem. The insides don't look worn, everything seems to move as it should when outside of the hub. Has anybody had this issue and fixed it?

If the brake shoe is worn down a bit too much, then it may be just too small to get good brake torque against the hub shell anymore. It may not be something that's noticeable upon visual inspection. These are one of the more robust coaster brakes and it should really give solid stopping power. Try picking up another shoe, which should just run a few $$.

ozzmonaut said:
Should I rough up the expander with sandpaper? Maybe it will grip the shell better.
It won't help a bit! You need a new brake shoe(s), I never paid attention to who was who on the old hubs, but....I have made bigger shoe's fit into older hubs in an emergency.
This is the drive problem you are having, the gear has to travel to far backwards to engage the brake, then to far to engage drive.
A dirty/weak spring hub will not engage the same every time.

I came across another morrow hub on an old 30's roadmaster and the wheel seems to stop ok. So I'm gonna switch the guts and see how that goes.

Check your brake cylinder? They are bad to crack on one of the corners. I've found that if they are cracked you have a lot of slop in the pedals. Thanks!!!

Bringing an old thread back up...
I've got the same Morrow hub issue. Tons of free play between engaging the drive and the brake. I just rebuilt it yesterday morning and it all looked ok other than the petrified grease inside. Figured I would be golden with a clean and regrease, but no. This thing is miserable to ride. Is it a adjustment issue or a worn shoe problem? If it is the shoe, are there new ones available or do I have to keep buying hubs until I find a low mileage one?

Latest posts

Back