More NOS frames from the dump.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I suspected the chrome frame I picked from the dump last month was never sold and I got confirmation today. As I picked up my wheel from the bike shop, I told them I finally found a big frame, and it was at the dump but never used. The shop owner said it must have been from his brother in law's shop that went out of business a few years ago. That's exactly what I thought from the masking tape stock number. He went on to say he threw out a whole bunch of new unsold frames and stuff. So I went back to the dump and looked for more. I saw a couple other frames before but they didn't interest me much. There were more workers there this time and one said there were frames upstairs. I reluctantly went up some rickety ladders up through piles of junk. On the third layer of stuff he started pulling out frame after frame. They had the same labels on them so I knew this must be where they all wound up. I put two aside and was ready to head out when he yanked out a big cruiser frame. This is a 20" frame and is huge. It went in the pile to take home.
large cruiser.JPG

This would have qualified as my build off bike and will be 4-4-2. I'll take everything off the chrome frame and make the cantilever frame the biggest bike in town.
Then a big mixte and a 24" ten speed frame, along with a 20" BMX and 20" cruiser frame still wrapped in the plastic. I remember seeing those hanging up for sale back in 2010.
mixte.JPG

bmx (2).JPG

So I had five frames selected, a trunk load, as much as we could carry. They have the same dropouts and lugs so they must be from the same supplier, maybe knockoffs. They are chrome or painted except for the big cantilever frame. It's bare metal. Luckily it has the same dropouts as the big chrome frame, my extensions were made up to bolt to that style dropout. Maybe they are all 1987, 2 of the serials I checked are 87.
drops.JPG

Then the guy pulled out a stretch frame about seven feet long. It wasn't home made, looks like one from the old shop also. I told him I'll be back to get that one along with 2 or 3 other frames that looked good. Most look like road bike frames. So, my bike carrier is now ready to haul more NOS frames out of the junkpile soon I hope.

Lucky for me there's no money in scrap metal here, otherwise they would have been gone long ago. Now those frames there will be held onto, waiting for me to come back and get them. They were amazed someone would give 250 pesos (around 5 bucks) per frame. I'm hoping to find more forks and things too. The old bike shop had tons of parts too.

I recall visiting several salvage yards in the Phills and was amazed each time watching workers consolidating materials. There was everything from medical grade equipment to industrial machines with linear bearing systems etc. Hardly anything of value is sent land fills, and the fills are picked further. If I needed special parts or materials, the yards were the place to go! In my sub div the art of rat roding was a common occurrence. There's much scrap metal around.

Matti, in the Philippines 5 bucks is a lot! Wildcat is being generous.

Worked a half day fixing the electrical for a jeep and got a whole 400 php! Then split that with my partner. We had a good laugh though.

I can't even get grips for a fiver around here. I have a co-worker who regularly returns to his home in the Philippines, I should send him with my paycheck next time!
A bike frame won't fit in a suitcase. I've tried, even using a duffle bag. They don't have any leeway in baggage size anymore. Unless you cut it up. Otherwise, shipping a frame will be more than it's worth, usually.

I recall visiting several salvage yards in the Phills and was amazed each time watching workers consolidating materials. There was everything from medical grade equipment to industrial machines with linear bearing systems etc. Hardly anything of value is sent land fills, and the fills are picked further. If I needed special parts or materials, the yards were the place to go! In my sub div the art of rat roding was a common occurrence. There's much scrap metal around.

Matti, in the Philippines 5 bucks is a lot! Wildcat is being generous.
When they asked 250php a frame, they were fishing to see if they could get some decent money. When I didn't barter and nodded OK, they couldn't believe it. They had a live one! Crazy American! Kareoke tonight! They were all happy to dig for more frames and carry everything out to the car.

When they asked 250php a frame, they were fishing to see if they could get some decent money. When I didn't barter and nodded OK, they couldn't believe it. They had a live one! Crazy American! Kareoke tonight! They were all happy to dig for more frames and carry everything out to the car.
yeah, covers the karaoke machine and a round of San Miguel or Red Horse:21:
Good times.

I went through the frames, the two 20" were the same as the one that had the mid sized crank bearings and small headset size I can't find. They may have been made locally.
The mixte and blue 24" frames are decent, the mixte has a bent chain stay but that's not hard to remedy. For later projects.
I concentrated on the big cantilever. It's big, 20" but also 44 inches long!
longframe2.JPG

No serial number but the same lugs and dropouts as the other big frames. The dropouts are Suntour, that was the only marking on the frame.
suntour.JPG

I wirebrushed the rusty bare frame then did a thorough cleanup of everywhere I walked with brown dust on my feet. That took an hour. Then I gave it a rubdown with mineral oil to see how it looked. It looks good to me.
patina1.JPG

patina2.JPG

patina3.JPG

patina4.JPG

So, the frame will be patina but the rest of the bike shiny new stuff. I'll have to start a build thread on it.

Those that Joe picked up were all great frames if I recall right.
I've got nine frames already and only moved here about a month and a half ago, and that's during lockdowns. I'm going back to town again Monday, the wife has a medical appointment and I plan on getting a few more frames, and looking for forks and other parts from the old bike shop. The guys at the dump will be glad to pull out some more junk for me. Probably the most business they've seen since Covid hit. I'm here to help the economy and might buy dozens of frames before I stop. The city goes back to strict quarantine on the 9th, so I need to get them while the getting is good. That long stretch frame is my main goal. It looked like some kind of recumbent.

Dr. says I'm high risk, like everyone over 60 here. Senior citizens. So I'll stay home for a while, but I have the wife picking up some new bike parts for me today.
The dump will have to wait, but I have no doubt those other frames are being saved for my next visit.

They picked up that long frame for me! I still don't know what it is or was supposed to be. It wouldn't take a 26" wheel on the rear, but a 24" wheel fit. It's 58 inches long and 12 inches tall. It has a single top tube and twin bottom tubes to the BB. It's not like the other frames, it has fancier lugs. It also looked like it has never been used although it has head bearing cups.

longframe1 (2).JPG

longframe3.JPG

They picked up that long frame for me! I still don't know what it is or was supposed to be. It wouldn't take a 26" wheel on the rear, but a 24" wheel fit. It's 58 inches long and 12 inches tall. It has a single top tube and twin bottom tubes to the BB. It's not like the other frames, it has fancier lugs. It also looked like it has never been used although it has head bearing cups.

View attachment 137908
View attachment 137909
Took a few to realize it's a recumbent. The BB looks low though?

Latest posts

Back