Mooneyes Shop Bike (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Mooneyes Shop Bike

Thanks everybody.
I'm leaning toward #5 w/ a yellow chainguard. I'm not sure about the mooneyes logo. I'm thinking about having a pin-striper guy I know create it along with some killer lines.

HuffDaddy said:
Thanks everybody.
I'm leaning toward #5 w/ a yellow chainguard. I'm not sure about the mooneyes logo. I'm thinking about having a pin-striper guy I know create it along with some killer lines.

DO IT! I love my hand painted moon eyes so much more than stickers. The imperfection makes it perfect.

This is the seat I,m going to use. I picked it up at the Ann Arbor bike swap meet for $9.

I'm going the repaint the black parts black and probably just clean up the springs. I want to make a custom seat cover with some heavy flake vinyl, not sure want color yet, I'll have to see what's available. I like the tuck and roll look like the ones in this image.

Working on a mooneyes badge for the frame too. Might look like one of these.

Not sure how I'll make it, maybe a sticker in the center of a oval piece of thin aluminum with the black outline being polished aluminum.

HuffDaddy said:

Not sure how I'll make it, maybe a sticker in the center of a oval piece of thin aluminum with the black outline being polished aluminum.

I like #1 too. I need to work on it a little, a couple of the letters aren't right yet.

Critter1 said:
HuffDaddy said:

Kinda have the tank panels figured out. Each side will be around a 1/2" thick and sit on top of the straight bars.

I'll be painting them yellow like #5 from my tank idea post.

HuffDaddy said:
Thanks.

I'm trying to figure out the rest of the components, starting with stuff I already have. I'd like to make my own horn tank type panels out of sheet metal and create a springer front end using a mountain bike shock. We'll see. I started stripping the chain guard at lunch today. Way more layers of paint than I thought.

This chainguard was a little rusty under the paint. Too bad I'm not looking for a bare metal rusty patina look.

Here's the rattle cans I'm going to start with.

Anyone ever use this Rust Fix that turns rust to primer? It sprays clear and then as it drys, the areas with rust turn black. I had sand blasted or wire wheeled the parts before I shot them. I was surprised to see how much of the parts that turned black.

The whole bottom of the seat pan is black.

One month down, two to go!

HuffDaddy said:
Kinda have the tank panels figured out. Each side will be around a 1/2" thick and sit on top of the straight bars.

I'll be painting them yellow like #5 from my tank idea post.
sweet look dude!!

Troy

I guess I'm moving kinda slow on my mooneyes build-off bike. It'll come together, hopefully just in time. I decided on a yellowish gold heavy glitter vinyl for the seat.

I'm looking for a local guy to help me with the upholstery. It's going to have a roll and pleated look.

I think it will be cool, I hope. I forgot to mention that the tank is going to have the sameupholstery with the roll and pleat look on the sides.

Here's some more parts for my build.

The fat tire front fender is going on the back. I'm working on a bolt-on bracket to lower the fender closer to the tires. Not sure how I'm going to do it, but I want to make the Schwinn spocket look like a 60's mag wheel, w/ the rough casting center section. The spring is for the springer front fork I'm working on.

Looks like the springs from my seat are going to clean up nicely.

Got a little furthure on the springer fork this week. I found a long chrome bolt that'll work and made a couple parts I needed.

This is the gooseneck I'm thinking about using.

Can't wait to mock it up with the front wheel/tire on it!

Latest posts

Back