Monster Cross Junker Junker Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like how this one turned out.
I am going to have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those new Columbias.
Nice work!
They are a fair reproduction, single seat stay and the dropouts are the same. It has the old 1 inch tubing. The bottom bracket is apparently not hardened and wouldn't stay tight so I put in a sealed one. It has standard threading. It was a little hard to start and I wondered if it was Italian threading or something but once it started it went right in. I will probably have to replace the head set but so far it is OK. It turned out surprisingly light once the parts were removed and the steel crank was replaced. The bottom bracket is 3 piece square taper so a lot of old crank sets work. It had a real good chain line with the standard spindle and the inner chainwheel. It rides real nice and is super comfortable long distance with the wishbone gooseneck and the layback post. I am 5'8" and weigh 165 fully ready to ride. I have beat it up pretty badly on single track and everything held up but I can tell that it is not really tough enough for this long term. It has 165 crank arms and I have never bottomed out on single track. These old Sugino cranks come in 171 but I didn't have that . I feel that there is enough clearance to use 171 in the woods. The brake levers flex and the deep V rims transmit all the rock and roots to your spine. The headset would also wear out on single track. The breaks are marginal for single track but more than adequate for the streets and gravel. The bearings had a token amount of grease. It has 22.2 or 7/8 seat post so I used a BMX laid back post. It says it's good for only something like 110 pounds but it hasn't broken during pretty hard bouncy stuff. It's great for gravel.

Latest posts

Back