Mongoose Dolomite 'Street Edition'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FT10_zpsbe2ee770.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Been making some embellishments to the Dolomite. Now, have a Lasco 3-ring crankset (24, 34, & 44-t), with a Shimano direct high-mount derailleur, & a ProblemSolvers 1322 seat-tube adapter. Wasn't enough to extend out to the sprockets, with the 175mm spindle, so I had to make an additional 3/4-inch spacer. Works OK now. Put a Shimano 14-34t 7-speed cassette in the rear, so now 21, smooth-shifting speeds!
As for the fenders? As my Spousal Unit observed, "If that ain't legal, I guess you'll be making them!"

I have not finished my build yet, but it's to the point that I'm commuting to work on it. Here's a preview in the meantime.

W1zovtP.gif

Nice, Moike!
I'm so tech-challenged. That flashing tail-light is just too-cool.
I'm curious about the low-profile rubbers. Do you run those at higher, or lower, pressures? I'm finding the ride on the "standard" tires is about right, for my 185#, at about 15psi.
I also put on a stem riser, with the OEM bars. My spine ain't what it was, 30 years ago!

FT10_zpsbe2ee770.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Been making some embellishments to the Dolomite. Now, have a Lasco 3-ring crankset (24, 34, & 44-t), with a Shimano direct high-mount derailleur, & a ProblemSolvers 1322 seat-tube adapter. Wasn't enough to extend out to the sprockets, with the 175mm spindle, so I had to make an additional 3/4-inch spacer. Works OK now. Put a Shimano 14-34t 7-speed cassette in the rear, so now 21, smooth-shifting speeds!
As for the fenders? As my Spousal Unit observed, "If that ain't legal, I guess you'll be making them!"

I also am using a 3-ring crankset (48-38-28), but with a Problem Solvers FS1325 (Moonlander) adaptor. No spacers are needed with the FS1325, just an FYI.

Good to know. Thanks!
Hopefully, this will spare someone else, of a few gray hairs!
Cheers.

Nice, Moike!
I'm so tech-challenged. That flashing tail-light is just too-cool.
I'm curious about the low-profile rubbers. Do you run those at higher, or lower, pressures? I'm finding the ride on the "standard" tires is about right, for my 185#, at about 15psi.

Head/Tail light and grips are all PDW items.

I run the tires at about 35~30 PSI for low rolling resistance. When I blew by the 'Your Speed Is' sign on my commute this morning it was 22mph in 7th gear. Once my 3 ring crank gets here I hope to improve on that.

I'm averaging about 10 miles a day commuting to and from work on the Dolo and so far I really dig it. The saddle has got to go, it's crap... That's my biggest complaint so far.

Really? 35 psi. You haven't had any tires, popping off the rims? Missing all the potholes? Or, are those tires rated for higher pressures. My Vee Rubber Ultralight says 30 psi, on the sidewall.
Yes, if you're doing 22mph with the 36t main sprocket, I would guess 30 mph, with a 46-to-48t gear, woouldn't be infeasible.
The tech-savvy thing was about posting animated images on your postings, but the lights are cool, nonetheless.

No tires popping off the rims, I bounce this thing down flights of stairs, potholes, curbs, and tree branches get rolled right over with no issue. I'm 6' 250 pounds. The BOA-G tire is considerably narrower than the rim width, it's not like it has anywhere to go once it's inflated.

Moike - Post some more pictures of your Dolo with the BOA-Gs. I think us two are the only ones with these tires, haven't seen any others so far. Talking about speed, there is currently one of those speed check sign thingies down the street from my house right now. After work, I will take a run past it in high gear to see how fast I can get it. (I have a 48-38-28 3-ring crank set on mine.) I will post results in a couple hours.

Ok, as promised, some photos and a parts list so far:

Parts installed so far:
My kickstand and all reflectors fell off. I lost 40mm off both ends of the handlebars, The carbon fiber bottle cage holds my Sriracha water bottle which actually holds my CO2 inflator, patch kit, cartridges, tools, and misc fasteners and zip-ties. (ie: tool kit) I may pull the PDW bell and powdercoat the bell and mount gloss black.

Once I get a good seat/seatpost on it and the three-ring crank up front, I'll consider it done. It's my daily-rider to-and-from-work about 10 miles total, so I wanted to keep it simple and use good components.

Link to full image gallery ~ http://imgur.com/a/iVPXC

52fXId5.jpg

6HxbUIU.jpg

o85Xolk.jpg

5B0kdJb.jpg

cjcwmJA.jpg

f0WsUqm.jpg

9MWHKkp.jpg

MU6x36r.jpg

EGltkdx.jpg

m8GDFsf.jpg

vjDJlfi.jpg

fsbmevR.jpg

25hVTgp.jpg

oeDnFxl.jpg

Last edited:
(bump) Updated my original parts list and added some new photos and a link to the gallery. I consider my Dolo complete at the moment. I do have a VP BC-63 100mm shell cartridge bottom bracket that I'm going to make a custom width square taper spindle for. In the meantime the YST sealed BB is holding up just fine. Thanks for the original inspiration and assistance with the parts MJW300... Yours was the first.

Both of you have done a fantastic job on your bikes, thank you for listing the parts you used, my build will begin this week, I'm going to lean toward the comfort bike for my project, seat post with suspension, comfy memory foam seat, raised bars, and a rear rack. My bike will be used to putt around the neighborhood and watch peoples eyes pop and to cruise the Monon Trial for the same reason. I intend to have a lot of fun with this bike. You both have inspired me and I thank you.

I have just ordered one of these bikes, as my son got very excited in the store, when dad needed a bike to ride with him (5, coming 6 this month). Can I ask why you changed out the freewheel? In looking on another forum, its being reported the stocker comes with a 14-28T 7 speed. Was it a quality issue? Im riding paved paths, and street only, just my son thought it was so cool, he wanted me to buy one.

Also, do you know of another set of bearings that will work? Amazon doesn't seem to want to let me order them (as I'm in canada, it won't let me for some reason), they aren't avail on amazon.ca, or by google. And the only ones I can find similar, are YP ones, and they are $40. So I'm got my LBS on it.

My main goal for mine, is to get a lower gearing, for riding with my boys. Im not sure the mega range is for me, id rather have a smoother transition. Which leads me to want to do a crank change over, to a 2x or 3x.

Do you need any special tools to remove the crank and or freewheel? I don't have an issue buying tools, infact i love buying them. With currently 3 boys (11m, 3, and 5), all going up a year by this summer, ill need bike tools for a bit.

Does it need brakes? Or are they just not that great for high speed, and off road?

Anything else you would change to make it more reliable?

My son really likes the mongoose Tex (kids 20", 7 speed), but they want an arm and a leg for it, and its too big, so I'm gonna watch for a sale on it, and snag one for next year.

Thanks for your guys time

The main reason to change freewheels is to get different ratios. A xx-32t will get you lower first if you need lower gears.

Yes, special tools required for nearly everything on bicycles. Crank puller, brand specific freewheel remover(current style Shimano freewheel tool will fit). Cone wrenches for the hubs. (15 mm), chain rivit tool, spoke wrench, tire levers, decent tire pump, 32mm headset cone wrench, pedal wrench. And a work stand is well worth buying (<$200). Google "Sheldon Brown" and what ever part you are looking at for excellent pages.
"Every project is a reason to buy tools".

Bearings? for what? hubs, crank, headset, pedals?
Best bet with these wally world bikes is to pull the bb, hub and headset bearings. Grease them and adjust them properly. The are notoriously bad at assembling these bikes. (delivery issues is up there too) Riding them as from the factory any length of time will ruin them.

Changing out the crank adds more problems. Chain rubbing on the side of the tire is one. Lack of parts for the extra wide bottom bracket shell on the frame. It takes a special bb mount front der.

Single largest weight loss to be achieved is new tires & tubes. $100+.

The disk brakes aren't great but are useable.

Check out the Mongoose Massif. 20" version for kids.

I bought a Dolomite, Massif, 3 Beasts and a Dozer so far. All got the re-grease and adjust treatment right out of the box.
The Dolo and Massif went to my nephew and his dad as a father/son activity/gift. That continues to be a hit every time they go riding.

But really, If you really want to upgrade the quality, the best path is to return it and just buy a better bike. For what you spend upgrading, there are many better bikes for the difference and they will be quite a bit lighter weight. There must be over 1,000 models of fat bikes on the market now at all price points.

I'm looking for BB bearing set like the YST mentioned in this thread. I understand the freewheel. But above it mentions shimano tourney 7 speed in same as stock ratio. Was curious why poster changed it.

I'm having issues finding anything in Canada under 1k. Even used. Even a bikes direct 499 bike would run me north of 800 after exchange (visa currently around 0.8), shipping, brokerage and duty. With broker and duty being a big variable. I'm 335 into this, so a few base parts (bearings, gears, grips, pedals, seat) I'm good to go for far less then 600, or maybe 650 converted to 21spd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back