Monark Rocket Modernization

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this Rocket in my intro and now time to get to it. I picked this up for $70 and I think I overpaid for it, but that's money under the bridge now.
The frame and wheels have been hand brushed on at least one of the multiple coats. I think blue over black over light green over dark green. I was able to gently scrape off enough layers to find the Rocket badge, or at least what's left of it.
Stripping it down to the frame, the pedals were not moving, as was the quill stem. There wasn't much left of the seat, but I could get the seatpost out eventually. Had to ritually sacrifice the crankarm and stem to the grinder gods. Hopefully they didn't die in vain.
Everything got a hose down with hot detergent. Fenders may be salvageable. Fork is a casualty of the stem carnage, unless I can find a short quill. Possibly. Haven't dug into the hubs yet but they won't turn by hand. Several broke spokes.
So, I guess I have a frame. Blank canvas!
So now, the question to the hive mind: the head tube is a worn out 32.8 mn, and the biggest headset I can find so far is 32.5 mm, so what options are there for a headset? Shim, locktite red, rare headset that fits? Please don't say braze a new headset [emoji15]
c36da1338483c06859ce2bad95e3178d.jpg
a387f489f2d1ee08bcd2c3b339e98e4c.jpg
3fd68f59f771ac044388915d5e5fa83c.jpg
952d2a341e9b608177048068c6d5b4fb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Started to strip down the paint job tonight. Might have had some white pinstripes originally. My neighbor has a buddy who restores hot rods and may be willing to paint it for a decent cost. My other bikes are chrome, lime green and yellow. Need a different color to round out the bike rainbow.
7a04c9f411a2c806a8a7893f4403b68a.jpg

Shim your headset cups with a cut up beer can...
I had a frame so worn I ended up using a 1⅛ fork and headset...
Keep trying.
I like that shim idea. My other idea is to buy a headtube reamer and make it take the 1 1/8 headtube. Good excuse to buy a tool. I miss the unlimited access to tools from back in my old bike shop days.

Got the frame mostly stripped and sanded down to bare metal. Tempted to just clear coat it to give it a Silver King look. The stripper isn't doing much past the couple costs of latex, so it's been elbow grease after that. Progress!
2f7b45f54cf376ef786d49ea88d30264.jpg
793eb20e21b67d6815f9a4df963b11f4.jpg

Looking good. For the stubborn bits

60320_I.jpg

Buy here

I'd recommend using brass wire brushes for removing stubborn paint, as they should be less damaging to the metal underneath. I've bought a set at Lowe's that works well for just $20ish. However, if you can afford to, sandblast everything, as it can reach those hard-to-get-out places that even wire brushes can't get.

i usually wait until i have 3 or 4 frames that need doing my blaster gives me a better deal if i have more than one i just had 3 frames and forks sandblasted cost me $40 cnd then i also have a deal going on with my body shop now mind you i am not to fussy on color but he paints my frames when he has a bit of paint left over when painting a car i don't get a choice on colors but don't really care as i will take any shiny new color over a faded rusty patina look
Patina makes no sense to me I hate rust period give me a repainted classic over a rusty classic anytime

Latest posts

Back