model cars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
When I was a kid I built model cars, but I haven't built one in years. So today I decided I wanted to get a Chevy van model, off to Kmart I went.
Turns out you can't buy model kits at department stores anymore.

Well now I figure I'll go the the local mom & pop hobby stores, I get to the first and the model kits are $25-$30 :13:
So off to the next shop, same thing.

Ok, so now I'm off to Hobby Lobby. Low and behold, the prices are the same. And none of these places had a Chevy van kit. So the last resort...... eBay.

Once again $25-$30, atleast they have the model kit I'm looking for. So now I ask you, what happened to the model car industry in the last 20-30 years? Why can't I go to Kmart and get a model kit for $5-$8 anymore?

Caesars Creek flea market :D
Has the van . it is around,, 25.
Dude has all the cool models.:cool2:
Its been awhile since I've been to caesars creek, might have to make a trip.

But still, $25. How did they get so expensive? If it's due to inflation or global warming, we might be deeper in stink than I thought.

FYI, Hobby Lobby has the best selection I've seen outside of increasingly scarce hobby stores, and if you have a smart phone they always have a 40% off one regularly priced item coupon you can pull up! saves you almost half the price. If you don't have a smart phone there are other ways to get the coupon. It always seems to be available, but you can only use it once a day.

Many years since I built any model cars. I think they are way to toxic and require to much concentration for modern kids.
The glue we used, the paint we used - Wow ! :p

I agree Toeslider, they do have the best selection around here. I get those coupons in the mail every weekend, will just have to keep checking for a van.

You're right horsefarmer, it's amazing that were all still here.

HLG_BikeBoy.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31670059/...ng-age-years-living-dangerously/#.VjJAWtKrRkg

I still have several,, unfinished:
Models.:(
Maybe, this winter,, I can work on them.:D
Still ,can get :the good cement. :dance2:
The non toxic stuff,,doesn't, melt the parts together .:20:

glues1.jpg

Ya, I remember when the authorities became alarmed by misuse of the original stinky glue. In 1969 they made a safe version with mustard oil - never seemed to work as well holding the models together tho.
images

I loved building models, and almost all my (limited) funds went to kits. The artwork was cool and I thought the Illustrations were fantastic too!
CCI10012009_00000-vi.jpg

70_amx_mpc.jpg

Probably led me here because I never built them the "right" way but was always customizing them.

Got my van in the mail today, will start on it and post pics this weekend.

Almost bought a K.I.T.T. model from hobby lobby, but decided not to. Strange thing, I just learned George Barris died today and he is credited as the designer of that car. Also designed my Iverson Dragstripper.

Well here it is, I haven't started it yet. Still have to find some good glue and get some paints.

My overall plan is to not use the decals, probably make my own. And figure out how to add a bubble window to each side near the back corner.

This is much cheaper than restoring my real van.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

Here's a good shot of the real one.
When I can get to it, I plan to remove the side windows and put in a porthole window on each side. Maybe lower it a bit, I don't know. I enjoy being able to change my oil with out having to use a jack and stands.

But the model I have will be done in the manner I want this to eventually be.

IMG_0002.JPG

Latest posts

Back