Mobo Triton

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone ever mess around with one of these things? The steering is backwards for something that's not a forklift, but I'm wondering what kind of quality this thing is and I imagine I can probably find a used one for real cheap.

Boring story leading to an idea: One of my sisters found a thing called a Ponycycle, which is a rather clever riding pony that is propelled forward by the kid hopping up and down in the saddle (looks like rollerblade wheels at the ends of the hooves must have freewheels so that on the downstroke when the fore and aft pairs of legs move apart, the free wheels on the rear stop rearward motion while the forward legs roll to allow the vehicle to move forward. On the up stroke, when the legs draw together by internal spring or such, the front legs are prevented from moving backwards and the rear legs roll forward.) Anyway, she commented that she would have loved it as a kid, which made me think of the kind of thing I would have liked as a kid, which is a WW2 fighter plane-like Power Wheels, but with some actual range and power and without the cartoon quality they always impart on kids toys (I even hated it when I was a kid). But war is ugly, so maybe the Golden Age of air racing would be better . . . sparing anyone still reading the rest of the long, boring story, I'm thinking of making for my other sister's three younger kids, a motorized Mobo Triton with the seat facing the correct direction, single stick steering and hand throttle, and Gee Bee Z bodywork (I think I even have a great idea of how to build a radial engine from various plastic bottles), but not if this thing's made of tinfoil. My two nieces would probably prefer the pony thing, but their parents can buy them that and my idea would span a wider age range to reach the older nephew (with an appropriately adjustable governor for the motor by age). Yeah, there's not much place to use it around here, but I won a gocart as a kid and we still had fun with it the short number of times we were able to use it, and the memories were worth the trouble.

Of course, I'll probably come up with some new idea tomorrow that will enthuse me until the one after that, but for today, this is what's consuming my brain.

Had to look up Mobo Triton. I think any kid would have fun with it. If you can pull them away from their video games long enough to go outside!
61bOGbmWDSL._SL1080_.jpg

I can relate to changing my mind daily. So now that it's been a day, what's the next idea!? lol

This was done quick, so the proportions aren't quite right, but something along these lines (NACA cowl should definitely be more prominent, for one). Wheel spats will probably be a no-go, though—too fragile.

The "radial engine" would probably be made from 9 of those those tallish ~2" diameter soda bottles of brand I forget that are found in convenience stores all over and stuck in a radial pattern through the sides of a 3-liter soda bottle with the domed top of the 3-liter acting as the front of the crank case and another small bottle covering the cap as a kind of propellor hub.

26731734_10155470141548191_7737402004307689783_n.jpg

Today's idea is some refinement to an older idea of an electric cruiser bike tribute to the Bronze Age (battery housing to look like a Baghdad battery, Aladdin kind of lamp for the headlight with an LED bulb flame and polished bronze reflector behind it which I don't expect to be particularly effective, and the front fork legs to looks like wood fitted to a fork crown of copper and "tied" in place with fake sinew). Here's an old pic without the new stuff added.

22489862_10155227242938191_1657249028578691865_n.jpg

I've looked at the mobo for a while, I thought it would be a decent base for a velo. There's an adult version called shift, it has a reverse gear.
The frame is adjustable similar to the huffy green machine, so I don't think it would take much to weld it solid.

I want the steering, I would just move the seat to the other side and backwards to how it is now to make a delta trike. I thought of this because actual deltas are expensive and the crank would be in the way of the bodywork.

Latest posts

Back