Mixte NOS build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I picked up a bunch of unused frames from the dump last year and have used two of them so far.
mixte frame.JPG

This will be the bike I use in my office because of the restrictions outside.
mixte1.JPG

All the parts are from the other bike I've been using, and they all fit well. Even the chain was the right length. Just the seat stay bracket needs some work.
mixte2.JPG

I think it's an 87 or 88 frame like the other frames I picked up. Maybe someone here can decipher the number. It's either Japanese or Taiwanese made.
The only damage other than rust was the 6 rear stays. On the junkpile, they got compressed together. I was going to take it to the welding shop, but I was able to stand on one side and pull up on the other. They all straightened out evenly. I got all this done in just a couple hours today.
mixteserial - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• mixte frame.JPG
    mixte frame.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 107
  • mixte1.JPG
    mixte1.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 81
The chrome extension? I made it from a bmx frame from the same junkshop I got all the other frames. It was still wrapped in cellophane but has a small diameter headtube that I couldn't get cups for so it was chopped up.
Or do you mean the bracket? I'm going to adjust the angle of the wheel to see if I still have clearance in the stays as the rear gets lowered to make it meet up and attach to the brake bracket.

The chrome extension? I made it from a bmx frame from the same junkshop I got all the other frames. It was still wrapped in cellophane but has a small diameter headtube that I couldn't get cups for so it was chopped up.
Or do you mean the bracket? I'm going to adjust the angle of the wheel to see if I still have clearance in the stays as the rear gets lowered to make it meet up and attach to the brake bracket.
Yeah the extension. :thumbsup:

Both front and rear, and they worked! They had to be laced up in a crisscross pattern that isn't normal to get them true. Braking has to be rim brakes, hub brakes might put too much stress on the wheel. I'm not taking any chances. Old guys crashing home made bikes get laughed at in the ER.
Just heavy, with the 3" tires, 2 tubes in each, and the rear has a SRAM auto hub. Lots of weight. No problem in the office though, no resistance set up on my exercise bike, so it's just a cardio workout.

I loosened all the parts of the extensions and it reached the bracket fairly easily. Then I had to check to see how it sat, so off the stand it came. It sits lower than the other configs. I'm ready to take it out for a ride, but it's back on the stand for virtual riding for now.
mixte dt2.JPG

mixte 06 feb.JPG

Anyone seen this kind of lug on a mixte frame? I'm hoping that might ID the brand.

mid lug.JPG

Cool...dig the mixtie frames. See you're still experimenting with the double front rings?
I thought you were mentioning the rims. The 2 chain rings were originally thought up to be manually shifted but the dropouts needed to be a lot longer and the clearance of the chain and tire/frame would be another problem.
dual w chain.JPG

The 2 speeds on the hub are enough. The weight of the bike dictates the lower range of gears. But the two rings give me some adjustment to the chain line, the larger ring is inboard so I can make adjustments for clearance. Mostly just for looks. I flipped the cog to get the line just right.

mixte dt.JPG

I have a pair of lucky sevens that are ready to go on a one piece crankset, from an earlier build, 4-4-2, but I haven't found a good frame with a one piece crank.
lucky sevens.JPG

Same set up, only I didn't have to cut up anything.

Latest posts

Back