Mixte build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of dragging out my Raleigh Olympian Mixte frame and putting something together to ride .
Will most likely be a single speed . or maybe a two speed kickback , if it’ll fit .
I'm going to see what size tire on a 26” wheel will fit the rear . Maybe a 700C up front to make sure the cranks have enough clearance.
Or I may go with 27 1 1/4 in the rear with the 700c up front . But I’d like to have the widest tires I can get by with and 27 1 1/4 tires aren’t very wide .
First thing I need to find is the seatpost . I remember it was an odd size . It has to be somewhere in the garage .
Pics once I collect the parts .

This is how I got it down from upstairs in the garage
DFC9A403-49AB-4271-9D14-0B6E463CFC35.jpeg

None of the 26“ rear wheels fit . I went with a Shimano SS 27” rear wheel and a 700C up front .
I‘ve got a lot of tweaking to go ,but it came together better And quicker than I thought it would .
l‘ve ordered a long pull brake for up front . Got to have my front brake .
Rode it up and down the driveway a couple times and I think this is going to ride better than the Fuji MTB build .
I‘d like to have a 700C coaster brake in the rear . But before I spend that much on this one , I’ll try it with the 27” for awhile .

Nice. I like that you used a mixte. I've been thinking about a build like this, but I'm scared of Peugeot and Raleigh because of the weird sizes.

Cool build!
Sorry to highjack, but is that what these two bikes are? I can buy 2 of these on the cheap, but I didn’t know what they were.
F3003AD3-DA27-46CC-8B81-70CED83CBE60.jpeg
F51AA2C4-8963-4A1E-A5DD-64D009870667.jpeg

Rat Pilot , Those are Mixte frames . A step over frame that’s sort of an in between frame . Most folks consider them a either sex frame .
Matt , I chose the Mixte For this build , because I’m getting close to 70 years old and lately I’ve banged my knee a few times on the rear rack , getting off my bike after a ride . Don‘t swing the right leg like I use too .
Not throwing in the towel on my other bikes , but thought I’d give a step through frame a try . And I’m thinking it’ll be easier To mount and dismount this winter when I ride with more clothes on .
Always liked the looks of a Mixte frame .
And you’re right about odd sizes . The seat post is a strange diameter , but I found one out of my stock that fits pretty good .
The cranks look like they’re square taper . I have another bike that has removable chainrings I hope swap out with these and make it a single chainring .

Last edited:
But I’d like to have the widest tires I can get by with and 27 1 1/4 tires aren’t very wide .
Club Roost Cross Terra 27x1 3/8
Continental Ultra Sport II 27x1 1/4, runs fatter than other like sized cases

My favorite ISO 630 tires are Panaracer Pasela, x1 for going fast and x 1 1/4 for grip/comfort.

ISO 630 is right in my wheelhouse.

I'm a big fan of this frame style. I've built a couple for other people and ridden them to test them out and I'm always surprised by how well they ride in spite them being invariably way too small for me. I like the aesthetic, too. Not as much of a fan of the variants where there's a single top tube that splits into 2 stays at the seat tube.

Rat Pilot, you might want to pick those up. I don't know your market, but mixte frames seem to be in demand around Boston (though, right now the whole market seems to be out of control).

I'm a big fan of this frame style. I've built a couple for other people and ridden them to test them out and I'm always surprised by how well they ride in spite them being invariably way too small for me. I like the aesthetic, too. Not as much of a fan of the variants where there's a single top tube that splits into 2 stays at the seat tube.

Rat Pilot, you might want to pick those up. I don't know your market, but mixte frames seem to be in demand around Boston (though, right now the whole market seems to be out of control).
I’m pretty sure I could get the pair for $40, so I’ll probably grab them the next time I go there.

I did a little tweaking today on the Mixte . Added a bike computer, swapped the rear cog , and adjusted the spacing on the rear wheel . And test rode it . it had a click in it about every third or fourth turn of the crank . I thought it was in the hub , but it turned out to be the easy link in the chain . The clip would catch On the large chainring as it rotated off the small chainring I’m using . Just had to flip it , putting the clip inside . Problem solved.
The frame rides nice . Actually better than the Fuji MTB ( 4th of July build) I built last week .
I’ve decided to put a little money into it and ordered a 700C rear coaster brake wheel so I can put matching tires on it . The wheel is coming in silver , so I’ll look thro my wheels and find a silver one to match . I know I have one that came off my Schwinn Crosscut I rebuilt a few months ago and bought new wheels for it .
I‘ve also ordered a Brooks B-67 for it .
I got my pedal extenders today and a set of Ergon grips .

Last edited:
I'm working on a diamond frame nishiki MTB from the 80s. I am quite pleased with what I'm finding on it. Japanese steel is my favorite. If I can get one, I will, but I actually am hoping to find one of the faux mixte MTBs by GT or something. This one is Tange chromo.:inlove:
4619043042_370128a2f9_o.jpg

I really thought I was alone in my mixte fantasies. I kept it a little bit of a secret. I'm glad I found this support group

Last edited:
I'm not particularly enamored with the appearance of mixte framed bikes, but there's no argument that those bikes ride nice, I'm guessing that the extra triangle provides some lateral stiffness.

I actually am hoping to find one of the faux mixte MTBs by GT or something.
Faux mixtes are an anathma.

I really thought I was alone in my mixte fantasies. I kept it a little bit of a secret. I'm glad I found this support group
After thumbing through like eight pages of wierd 'show me your' threads by Grant you find even the mixte thread only has six actual mixtes in it
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mixte-tape.107459/
I’ve decided to put a little money into it and ordered a 700C rear coaster brake wheel so I can put matching tires on it . The wheel is coming in silver , so I’ll look thro my wheels and find a silver one to match . I know I have one that came off my Schwinn Crosscut I rebuilt a few months ago and bought new wheels for it .
I‘ve also ordered a Brooks B-67 for it .
I got my pedal extenders today and a set of Ergon grips .
This is a cool bike, it'll be great with a 700c coaster and a brooks on it :cool:

Will you keep the threadless converter stem or find something else?

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/mixte-tape.107459/

This is a cool bike, it'll be great with a 700c coaster and a brooks on it :cool:

Will you keep the threadless converter stem or find something else?
Still undecided on the bars and stem .
I tried some cruiser bars when I first started and they came back too far . I’d be bumping my knees on the ends .

I had Fuji Mixte at one time . It was complete and a nice riding bike . I let a friend talk me out of that one for a lady she knew that needed transportation to work .

Latest posts

Back