Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a big ol' cheese grater rack here if you think that will fit the bill.

I'd love some pictures and get some dimensions to see if it'll work. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow and steady!!! Finished making the lower rear-steer parts and they fit like a charm. I'll still be using the skip-tooth sprocket on the front... time to make the main tube, linkage rods and connectors! I was also able to spend some time on the Eclipse / Morrow rear hub and it's cleaned up and rebuilt.

I'm "adapting" some left-over race car parts for the rear-steer system. This is starting to become the standard approach for my builds... blending modern and vintage while trying to preserve the period look and feel. This time I'm using a water flange for a Garrett race turbo and a trimmed control arm bushing to function as part of the rear-steer hardware.
IMG_5343.jpg

Nice and snug like it was made for it!

IMG_5344.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg
IMG_5347.jpg

All cleaned up and rebuilt - ready for another 84 years of service hopefully!

IMG_5349.jpg

Saddles and grips from Thompson

IMG_5351.jpg

A little more progress today. Since finding the original eccentric bottom bracket and 2-piece crank are virtually impossible, I have decided to fab up a skip-tooth jockey wheel :) The pictures are from the mock-up phase and look like things should work really nicely! I just need to order the bearing and tack it to the sprocket and then mount it to the frame :)

Old chain tensioner with guts removed and nylon bushing pressed in.

IMG_5353.jpg

7-tooth skip-tooth sprocket

IMG_5354.jpg

Placeholder for the sealed bearing

IMG_5358.jpg

Looks like we have a plan!

IMG_5361.jpg

1" billet roll bar clamp should make a perfect mount.

91032866_L.jpg

Got the bearing and SS bolt in today - can't decide if I'll need the arm or if I can get enough adjustment without it.

IMG_5374.jpg

Love tandems and this looks like it's going to be a sweet one. Eccentric bottom bracket on the original? Didn't realize those had been around that long. Nice work on the tensioner.

Love tandems and this looks like it's going to be a sweet one. Eccentric bottom bracket on the original? Didn't realize those had been around that long. Nice work on the tensioner.

Yup - the original had a two-piece crank and eccentric BB. Those are super hard to find without buying a complete bike. Hopefully this approach will be in concert with the finished bike!

Today was a good day :) I love it when the FedEx guy brings things!

Some nice flat fender braces to go with the fenders from Woody's!!

eec3491eaffa0637bd297cd91ddfc97f.jpg

4b51bd3b41ffa21b867a8b7aed3cdee7.jpg

a1dfa1dcd8134984d921f4a9d0e9a987.jpg

b5f7fe6f30df6954c8e152e8244e24fa.jpg

ea0ddb39337776500c15d0d03251d783.jpg

4ec5fac53d8fdf76b894db1d42a727c4.jpg

I made some flat fender braces out of 1/8" x 1/2" steel. They bend well, are very rigid, and age nicely as a raw steel. And most of the time we don't care about weight, so we don't need the 'weight weenie' tiny rods that came stock on those!
:grin:

Yeah - they are pretty for sure - look even better in person too. Can't wait to get the frame off to paint so I can see how everything looks together!!

Those fenders are gonna pop when the mint paint goes on.
I can already tell this build is going to full of cool little details.

Got the rear fender mocked up and I'm super happy with how it turned out! I went with the braces for 28" wheels so I can mount them over the fender for some added detail. Time to pick out some cool hardware for them!

6ed3a9ee8512ec8becc94802ac2130f6.jpg
6053f15ea0b909801725c6eefccaaef1.jpg
58c46ce541d383f605bc01825548e359.jpg

I'm lovin the fenders!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm lovin the fenders!

So am I man.... Cody does AWESOME work!

What about some type of small compression springs instead of the spacer? Just thinking out loud.:39:
I have a set of fenders with outside braces with metal spacers and leather washers to absorb vibration.

Got tiny bit done today, hopefully the weekend will bring more progress! Decided to go with a drum brake for the front to help with the stopping efforts. Will post pics as soon as the forum lets me :)

Before
aaf82cb56009340e660912cbc0a3bf4f.jpg

After - getting there!
39ffa57ab7c3b8fa9270974ae2439135.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back