Mini Mystery Muscle Bike

Discussion in 'BIKE I.D. & VALUATION QUESTIONS' started by Bike from the Dead, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

When Dad bought a pedal car or something (I asked him, but he doesn’t remember) from one of Mom’s friends at her workplace several years ago, this bike was thrown in with it. It was the guy’s own bike he had as a child, but he had no use for it anymore.

I hadn’t really paid the bike any mind until about 2 years ago when I really got into bikes. It had been sitting on the floor in the back of our detached garage for years, and when I took a good long look at it, I realized it might be an obscure muscle bike from the 1970s, based on the ape hanger handlebars and the rotted-out banana seat.

So far, this bike has baffled me. It has a Toledo headbadge, Western Flyer handlebar grips, and a sticker on the seat tube that reads “Made in West Germany.” I’ve tried to figure out what exactly it is that I’ve got here, but I haven’t been able to find a photo of another bike like it. I think it would’ve had either 16” or 20” wheels, but since I don’t have any that small, I can’t say for sure. I did find a serial number underneath the bottom bracket, but it’s tough to read. Can anyone tell me what kind of bike this is?

DSC_0046.jpg DSC_0044.jpg DSC_0053.jpg DSC_0050.jpg DSC_0048.jpg DSC_0052.jpg 20200131_203421.jpg DSC_0054.jpg DSC_0055.jpg DSC_0056.jpg DSC_0057.jpg DSC_0058.jpg DSC_0049.jpg DSC_0047.jpg

Attached Files:

Grant and RustyGold like this.
  2. RustyGold

RustyGold

I'm surprised it doesn't have a lugged frame...most the European imports had them. Starting in the late 50s, due to a string of labor strikes, a lot of stores were supplementing there bicycle orders with Asian (mostly Japanese) and European imports. Once they got a foothold, they stuck around...usually low end. Eisenhower put some huge tariffs on most of the imported bikes...but, eventually they were struck down as illegal...and that was the beginning of the end for bicycles made in the USA.

Maybe one of the Euro guys ( @Starnger @SpikeFC etc) will have a clue on the specific manufacturer...that frame has a lot of details I haven't seen on a Euro import before (track ends, stem, and those welds).

Starnger likes this.
  3. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

I just looked up photos of "lugged frames." I didn't know that's what they were called, but I recognized the element once I saw it. That's a neat bit of bicycle trivia! Thanks for sharing!

Is there a way to directly message users outside the main threads, or would that be considered inappropriate? I'm still learning how to use the forums.

RustyGold likes this.
  4. RustyGold

RustyGold

When I used the @ sign in my post above, it notifies those members that were mentioned...such as...

@Bike from the Dead

You just have to type the @ sign, and then start typing the name you are trying to notify and a list will pop up to choose the one you are looking for. List too long, keep typing and it will narrow it down.

5. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

Cool! Thanks @RustyGold !

RustyGold likes this.
  6. RustyGold

RustyGold

You are on your way to becoming a Forum Jedi :rockout:.

Grant and Bike from the Dead like this.
  7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

@Bike from the Dead if you want to start a private conversation with a user, click on their name, a window pops up with info on the user, there's a "Start a Conversation" button.

Bike from the Dead likes this.
  8. Starnger

Starnger

What you got here is Heidemann Werke from early 1950's
    Here is a bike like yours but a bit later model for sale in Germany. You can see original finishing.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/223838225180

RustyGold likes this.
  9. Starnger

Starnger

[​IMG]

sandman and RustyGold like this.
  10. Grant

Grant

Interesting cranks and BB. I have never seen it before.

11. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

Interesting, but I notice that the bike you posted a photo of has seat stays that are welded to the seat tube, whereas on mine the seat stays bolt to the seat clamp/tube. Do you know where I could find more photos and information of this particular brand, and similar German bikes? When I look up Heidemann Werke, I barely get any results.

Grant likes this.
  12. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

Cool! Thanks!

Grant likes this.
  13. Grant

Grant

How do the cranks and BB work?

14. Bike from the Dead

Bike from the Dead

I think they pedal fine, but it's been a while since I checked. BB? What is that, ball bearings?

15. Grant

Grant

The BB is the bottom bracket. It is the bearings that help the crank turn.

16. Grant

Grant

I have never seen that crank/bb setup before. It looks like a hybrid between cottered and square taper. I first thought it was cottered like this, but there is no pin or holes for pins.
    20191211_204834.jpg

17. Starnger

Starnger

Honestly saying - not really. My advice is try to google it in German. I did search for some info on it briefly, but could not find much more info either.
    The reason for different seat stays is probably, as i mentioned before, that yours is slightly earlier then the one on the picture.

RustyGold likes this.
  18. deorman

deorman

Behold, the elusive goose neck stem! :android:

Grant likes this.
  19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr

So elegant...:inlove:
    113394_becda404d818459577d5bc560b258669.jpg

Grant likes this.
  20. Grant

Grant

Dot. road bike. Look at the lugs, they have circle shaped cutouts in them. (the white one) kk.jpg