Mini-Klunk

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read the rules again, I originally thought I had to do all the welding, but the rules don't specify that. A big relief. :whistle:
I'll let the local pros weld this up safely.

2psrp0j.jpg

Your version of "safely" and mine are very different. :) No hood, no gloves, and wearing what looks like sunglasses over his eyes. That hurts me just looking at it.

That's not my version. :43: All the welding shops here except for a few work like that. One place that fixed my folder frame didn't even have a workbench, they just worked on the floor, and sunglasses were eye protection. Grinding was done with no protection either. They wondered why I always looked away while they were welding.

Last edited:
I think ss can be welded to plain steel can't it? If not, I can get steel the same way, and it's fairly cheap.

Yes it can. But I'm not sure if that guy in the picture can still see to do it!

I'm not sure what a bunny hop is, but I wound up in the ER when I pulled a wheelie on a bike I had modified. So maybe not, both wheels must always be in contact with the road at all times, at my age and weight.

I also had another idea for the frame bars. Using 2 as before, but instead of extending down after the seat post, to the chain stays, I may try them extending straight back over the rear wheel and welding in a plate as a rear rack. Like those Columbia frames where the rack was part of the frame.

I mocked it up with the parts I have now. I'll use a different stem and handlebars. I wanted to line up everything so the rear rack won't be too high above the rear tire.
2nqf6rr.jpg

I also widened the frame for the SRAM hub. I used the old school method of a 2 x 4 and then straightened the dropouts with channel locks. That's an advantage of thin dropouts.

6gekc0.jpg

Last edited:
I forgot the supports.
I think I'll use the stainless 5/16ths solid rod, 2 36" pieces and 2 12" pieces should do the whole thing. I'll paint the frame but leave the rods shiny, and the plan right now is a shiny ss plate for the rack. Now just waiting on payday.
3322urs.jpg

Last edited:
I like the frame/rack bars. Kinda like a mini Firebolt. Klunkerbolt.

Trying to name my bike yet again? :39: I'll think I'll stick with Mini-Klunk for now, but it will be like a mini Firebolt.
I noticed my braces are in the way of where the brakes will go, so I repositioned them, and noticed I could keep it all one piece with a sharp bend at the end to make the braces.
1he4o4.jpg

Last edited:
The insert plate on the rack will be in a V shape with a bend in the middle. I'm going to wait until the bars are welded on to cut it out and find a shop with a press to make the bend. I tried out a fatter tire, and think I'll get match for it for the rear. Is the tread facing the wrong way? I also need more cutting discs to cut off the bosses.
x2ugbt.jpg

2vjv4o2.jpg

Neat bike. That 24 inch fork looks great on there. And yes most tires with a v type tread have the v pointing forward when looking down from the top.
^ What he said...

Luke.

I like the new tires

Latest posts

Back