Might have stumbled on an urban bike graveyard (added a pic)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, sorry no pics yet, didn't have the camera with me.

Last night on a late night cruise with my buddy, we were exploring a dark empty lot beyond some factories and next to the train track in an industrial part of town, just about a mile from my house. The only way to this lot is through the back lots of a bunch of buildings, and we didn't think there would be anything back there. But as we rolled through the empty lot, the first thing I noticed were some beat-up homemade wooden bmx/skate jumps and rails poking up through the falling snow. Then next to one of the jumps was some kind of modern cruiser remake with a triple-tree fork, beat up and practically destroyed. It almost looked like they had left it on the train tracks to see what would happen. I was bummed that the frame was un-salvageable, bent in more places then I could count, but the triple-tree fork was forged of stronger metal and I think I could save it. The bike was too big and broken to effectively be brought home as it was, so I made plans to come back with tools to remove the fork and possibly the handlebars (a little bent but might be fixable). So as we were riding out of the lot, I saw another frame poking up out of the snow, and investigated. Just a huffy BMX style, total junk, missing its front wheel and the back wheel was missing a lot of spokes, but I still rolled it home on its one broken wheel next to my bike. I think the only parts I will get out of it are the handlebars and the coaster hub, but I think it was worth it. I am going back over there after work when hopefully there will be a little daylight left, and I am bringing tools and WD40 and hopefully will come across some other bikes, half buried in snow. I know it's nothing compared to the junkyards that some of you have access to, but in an industrial urban setting, it's a rarity to come across bikes that haven't already been stripped of all usable parts. Anyone else find something like this where they live?

Re: Might have stumbled on an urban bike graveyard

Ya...they are called *cough stolen bikes cough* :wink:

I bet someone has that huffy BMX listed with the national bike registry and I will get arrested for having the stolen goods in my posession... :)

In reality, I just think that a bunch of BMX kids brought some crappy bikes to destroy at their makeshift skate park, and just left the remains behind. Even if they are stolen, I doubt that anyone is looking for them, and Rochester police have daily stabbings and shootings to worry about, they don't care about stolen bikes. Should I just leave the parts there to rust?

My vote is to Re- Cycle :) If there are parts that can be used to bring another Rat to life then by all means drag em home. Thats what I would do.

thanks, I am glad that someone approves. I have been thinking about this place all day. I literally dream about stumbling across old bikes out on my biking adventures, and then wake up to realize that it rarely happens, but last night I came across two of them at once! It's exciting for me. The only other spot I know of around here that old bikes sometimes turn up is down in the river gorge, and most of those bikes end up covered with a few feet of water. I gotta savor these small victories.

Take whats abandoned! Even if they were stolen, they're of no use any more to anyone other than us.

The punks around here steal bikes all the time and beat the crap outta them and then leave them. Very few times do the owners even care what happened to their bikes. They usually claim it was stolen outta their garages or off of their vehicles and claim it on their insurance.
But if you feel guilty, put up some "Found" signs on the street posts or bulletin boards.

Hey I don't disapprove...just don't get caught draggin a stolen bike home or use a frame with a serial # that is listed as stolen. That would be the one time the law would find the time to hassle ya :wink: Murphy's law they call it...

Hopefully the boys would find time to listen to your story about how you found it...

Chainsaw said:
Very few times do the owners even care what happened to their bikes.

when i was 9/10 my bike got stolen from a friends house, all i could think of was ..... NEW BIKE !!!! ..... my grandpa saw some kid ridin it on the way to pick me up, my grandpa pulled up next to the kid and he bailed and left the bike in a ditch ending my new bike dreams within about 10 min :cry:

id use what i could but leave the bones behind.

RatFink said:
Hey I don't disapprove...just don't get caught draggin a stolen bike home or use a frame with a serial # that is listed as stolen. That would be the one time the law would find the time to hassle ya :wink: Murphy's law they call it...

Hopefully the boys would find time to listen to your story about how you found it...

*cough* Grinder *cough*cough* and fresh paint....heehee

Or.. take a picture of how you found the bike and bring the bike home.Then go to the local P.D. with the serial # and picture and tell them your story. They can run the # and then you'll know either way. Now your butt is covered AND you've done a good deed.. Kind of..Hope you find something good for yourself because the fact that you are even bringing it up says you have good character.

I cruised back over tonight with a couple buddies and some tools, but it was dark and cold (in the teens, and snowing) so we only stuck around long enough to remove the triple-tree fork from the beat-up cruiser. It was a little harder to ride home with than the one-wheeled bike last night. I almost looked like I was jousting. I want to go back when it's warm and nice and search all the weeds and bushes around the lot, hopefully come up with some more good bike scraps. My buddy Killmore who rode out there with me said he used to skate back there and kids just come back there and trash stuff all the time. Anyway, my buddy Karl took a bunch of pics while he was out there, of us removing bike parts in the dark lot next to the train tracks during a freezing snowstorm. He hasn't uploaded them yet, but he did send me a shot of the parts after we got them back to the bike workshop in my buddies basement. Here they are, the scraps I was so excited about, what do you think?
2160487983_b48c52cc0f_b.jpg

MAN, THAT LOOKS LIKE A SWEET PAIR OF FORKS.......... AND I THINK YOUR RIGHT............. NOBODY IS GOING TO MISS THOSE BIKES!!

HEY! THAT FORK WAS ON MY BIKE!............ Go ahead .....you can have it. :roll:

Latest posts

Back