MICROFLOW

Nov 17, 2018
NEW SMYRNA BEACH FL.
Yes 20" . Does any one know if 26" hubs will fit 20" rims with the
right spokes ? I have some higgins air cooled hubs I would like to
try ? Need to find some 36 hole 20" rims first .

Apr 28, 2019
Warsaw PL
allejazda.waw.pl
I know that for sure Stars Rims makes 20" with 36H. The only others I'm aware off are the ones used in Polish bikes - Czajka, Karat & Flaming, but those might by hardly available I States

Also I think that most BMX have 36H rims

Nov 17, 2018
NEW SMYRNA BEACH FL.
The bike junk man let me steal some 36 hole wheels of from a girls Giant 20" bike . I plan on taking them apart , painting the alum rims white and hoping to replace the hubs with Higgins air cooled hubs ? Fingers crossed ?

giant wheel.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: RustyGold
Sep 14, 2013
Bradley Illinoiz
www.instagram.com
As far as relacing goes, I've laced 26" hubs into 20" rims and after calculating spoke length with a spoke calc, (I use Sapim's free online and it's pretty easy to use) I then order the length I need. As long as your redoing them might as well get what you want. Shop around, you can usually get color and gauge you want and nipples to match for not a lot a cash.
I put a Shimano 3C - 3 speed coaster from a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel into a 20" rim for last years buildoff.

Carl.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018
NEW SMYRNA BEACH FL.
As far as relacing goes, I've laced 26" hubs into 20" rims and after calculating spoke length with a spoke calc, (I use Sapim's free online and it's pretty easy to use) I then order the length I need. As long as your redoing them might as well get what you want. Shop around, you can usually get color and gauge you want and nipples to match for not a lot a cash.
I put a Shimano 3C - 3 speed coaster from a 26 x 1 3/8 wheel into a 20" rim for last years buildoff.

Carl.
Good Info GC should help alot . Thank You .

Reactions: GuitarlCarl
May 20, 2009
Isle of Hope, GA
Wait, won’t the metal bucket reduce the effect of the OA or worse, eat through it?!
I always used plastic container (kiddie pools are great options)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018
NEW SMYRNA BEACH FL.
I have another question . The Higgins hub I want to use is a
skip tooth and I read on the Cabe to make the 1/2 x 1/8 chain ring match , you just cut off every other tooth . Anybody else tried this ? I have a skip tooth chain and the small
chain ring looks just like a higgins .

I've done the grind-off-every-other tooth on a couple bikes. It works. It's not ideal tho. The modern sprockets are narrower and the skiptooth chain tends to walk back n forth a little, making some noise, and a sensation in the pedal. It's not terrible tho, and I've logged some miles regardless on that setup.

Reactions: sandman
Nov 17, 2018
NEW SMYRNA BEACH FL.
WARNING : Do not try this at home . I let the parts bake in the OA bath for 4 days . It burnt some of the chrome and removed alot of paint . The galv steel tank left a green hue even after soaking in baking soda and dish soap . The good news , not much rust left .

oa bath.jpg