Michigan Hi.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I would join you all. Last year in Nov. I was hit by a car during a training run, yeah I'm one of those roadie guys you see on a racing bike. It wasn't till this June that I started doing short hops on my bike again after Dr. that put me back together told me that I will never ride bike again . I started wrenching again in July made my first ratrod, if you want to call it that from a Raleigh Grand Prix. My LBS called it ratrod bike, I call it just having a little fun.

I need to hunt up camera. I don't recall if I have a web hosting account. Accident did wipe out some memory. As I recall in order to post photos I will need one.

Phone numbers a hard to remember. Thank God for speed dialing.

By the way thanks for making me feel welcome!!

I'll tell you a little more about the accident. The driver was texting and he hit me doing between 20mph(32kmph)-25mph(40kmph) the car was 4000lbs(1800kg) I think I have the conversions right. I think you can do the physics. Bikers whether on motorcycles or on a bike usually don't do well . I had a whole catalog of injuries, but nothing too critical. worst injury was a broken wrist and a skull fracture, no brain injury, miracle #1. The good thing was that I had just bought a new helmet, it was totally crushed as was my racing bike. I don't know what the forum thinks about wearing them. I think it saved my life. But from this point on I wear them whenever I'm on a bike. I encourage my friends to do the same.

Thanks for the link on posting photos, Luke.
Thanks for the welcome Big Daddy

Opinions are divided on the forum regarding helmets, I for one always wear them... ;)
I think the biggest problem people have is finding a suitable looking one for riding a rusty old cruiser, I have 3 different helmets depending on what type of bike I am riding...

Just glad you are still around!

Luke.

Yeah I must have about 8 or 9 helmets around. Each one is different some have designs on them. Flames, skull n cross bones, one is mult color red,white and blue and even have one that is plain grey. Each for the mood I'm in. There are some with really cool designs on them. If you are willing to have a little fun with them you might see them as expression of your personality. Just like some of the cool bikes that I see on this forum.

Maybe I need to start a thread on show me your helmet with your cool bikes.

Wish I'd saved the helmet that saved my head. Hit a dog broadside that popped out from between parked cars. Over the handlebars head first to the pavement. I don't care how dorky I look or that I got away with it as a kid, I always wear a helmet. When ridding that is. Welcome from the south-west side of the state!

I kept mine. I let others hold the helmet so they can see the amount of damage that was done to it and as reminder to me not to forget putting one on. fact is I still have the bike from the crash. I really need to strip the good parts off of it. I rather be a live dork then a dead duck.

I was thinking that there weren't Michigan people here on this forum, Harold

There's a bunch of us Michigan bikers around. I assume most are like me and pop in and out as time allows. The last year has been so busy at work I haven't had time to mess with any hobbies. Busy in a good way but I need the stress relief. Heading to Ann Arbor then Detroit tonight.

Watch out for those crazy one way streets in A^2. I really don't know what to say about thing in the D... Work whats that. After accident work let me go. Trying to find work has been most disappointing.:(

Best of luck on your search. I did a one year stint of unemployed a few years ago and it was rough. Self employed now. Luck and persistence, hard work and then hope for more luck I guess.
Went to Detroit for a show. Ty Segall at a tiny little club. Worth getting home at 4:00AM.

Harold you rocker! Just watched Ty's Goodbye Bread video. I like the music just don't know what to think of the vid. I see that in Premier Guitar Magazine was an article about TY. I play a little guitar it has been rough since the accident. I have some problems with fretting the guitar but I do see some progress. Anyways I play more Hillbilly stuff when I could play.

us56...Your helmet looks good did you replace it after the accident? My shell was fine the inside was broken in 4 or 5 parts. It did it's job.

Last edited:
I do volunteer work at Salvation Army store once a week. I reject a lot of skakeboard and cycle helmets. I just wish people would just toss em. I really won't want my kid riding a bad helmet.

I was one of two gray haired dudes in the crowd! My stepson put me onto him and has been gifting me his CD's. Stayed clear of the pit but the crowd surfers did a number on my back. Torn disc but I'm not going to be the guy that drops someone on their head! We passed Ty over our heads at the end of the show.

Latest posts

Back